onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Entry to Railway Paddock

PV1993

6 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

I thought the exact same. I’m certain there was more than 1,300 fans behind the goal. I thought there was a good 1,700 or so. Great crowd today and the atmosphere in the railway was very good. 

If our following last week was 1100 then Tranmere easily had 1700 as you say.

And they were loud . 

Advert

26 minutes ago, Budgie_2260 said:

What's COVID (post or not) got to do with today?
There were no restrictions in place for social distancing that have influenced this situation that I could see.

What I meant was that post covid there was going to be a lot of people who would turn up above the usual demand because of a new sense of freedom. Today could have been a magnet for previous casual attenders.

6 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

There were four turnstiles open for the Railway Stand. Took me about 6or 7 minutes to get in at about 2.30. That barrier across the walkway is a nuisance but I assume it’s been put there to stop folk parking there which they were doing all last season. 

There were only three out of four turnstiles open for the Railway Stand. By  twenty to three it had descended into chaos. I didn’t go to any games last season but I’m not sure why anybody would have been parking there anyway. 

I got there at 2.40 and got in within 5 minutes. There seemed to be several queues, but no one seemed to know which was for what, so I just walked up to the turnstile and got in with my season ticket.

If there were technical issues then that's unfortunate, but I feel some queue management wouldn't have gone amiss. However, given that we now have more season ticket holders, I will be arriving 10 minutes earlier in future and would encourage other supporters do do the same.

3 minutes ago, Santa said:

There were only three out of four turnstiles open for the Railway Stand. By  twenty to three it had descended into chaos. I didn’t go to any games last season but I’m not sure why anybody would have been parking there anyway. 

I think Jean means the last season before lockdown when people were parking by the fencing to the left of the Railway Stand entrances. Why were they parking there? Probably because people are too bloody lazy to walk any distance from their cars to their destination.

59 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

I know it isn't what we're used to but the demand has altered post-covid and we all have to be more patient. It's a changed world for now. One of my mates is a Swansea st holder who couldn't believe we left the pub at 2.40 when he came to a match with me 2 seasons back. We all need to adapt and stop acting like Trip Advisor compensation lovers.

The problem was there Tuesday for a low key game. We’re all ticket now no paying in the day. So the owners have a good idea of the least number of ppl attending. As documented by others turnstiles were closed. The only ppl that need to be patted on the back are the fans who conducted themselves brilliantly as there could have been some outbreaks of serious public disorder, which would have meant a large police attendance at this game and future games, increasing our policing bill. The start should have been delayed and then to hear that certain parts of the ground were opening the gates and letting ppl in, that could have been disastrous if others had heard of this and gone rushing round there to get in. We still keep hearing about Hillsborough years later yet, we haven’t learnt. 

I got there at 2.40 and got in within 5 minutes. There seemed to be several queues, but no one seemed to know which was for what, so I just walked up to the turnstile and got in with my season ticket.
If there were technical issues then that's unfortunate, but I feel some queue management wouldn't have gone amiss. However, given that we now have more season ticket holders, I will be arriving 10 minutes earlier in future and would encourage other supporters do do the same.
You were lucky then it was a good job the gates were opened and the turnstiles bypassed and stewads counting fans in

3 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

The problem was there Tuesday for a low key game. We’re all ticket now no paying in the day. So the owners have a good idea of the least number of ppl attending. As documented by others turnstiles were closed. The only ppl that need to be patted on the back are the fans who conducted themselves brilliantly as there could have been some outbreaks of serious public disorder, which would have meant a large police attendance at this game and future games, increasing our policing bill. The start should have been delayed and then to hear that certain parts of the ground were opening the gates and letting ppl in, that could have been disastrous if others had heard of this and gone rushing round there to get in. We still keep hearing about Hillsborough years later yet, we haven’t learnt. 

I get your point but we are talking about a small scale problem in terms of danger, it's just a matter of patience and a change of circumstances

To even have to consider delaying kick off for a crowd of less than 7000 is frankly embarrassing.

It should not be a surprise.  The vast majority are season tickets and pre paid tickets. I would imagine less than 5% of today’s gate was walk ups.

We therefore know how many people expected in each area of the ground.

We should know how many people can pass through a turnstile at a reasonable rate per say every 5 minutes.

Divide one by the other and we know how many turnstile operators we needed get the punters into the ground safely and quickly in a reasonable space of time.

I would imagine we had no more turnstiles open than when we get 3.5k gates, and yet the club seem surprised / caught unawares that they couldn’t cope with the additional volume!

7 hours ago, Aguar61 said:

I get your point but we are talking about a small scale problem in terms of danger, it's just a matter of patience and a change of circumstances

You only need a couple of hundred ppl to cause a major incident and there was certainly more than that outside the Railway Paddock ten mins before kick off. The game shouldn’t have started end of. Personally I’d class this as a near miss, when it comes to a serious incident. We host Carlisle in three days, I pray that we don’t see a repeat. I don’t think you need an SIA or first aid badge to let ppl in to the ground as security personnel have the SIA badges and there are qualified first aides at the ground. Just get the problem sorted if it’s lack of personnel or lack of equipment it needs sorting ASAP. I’m not bothered how much it’s costing the owners because they’ll suffer in the long run if they choose not to address it. Fans safety is paramount and should be at the forefront of the minds of those in charge. There’ll be a ground commander who’ll be held to account if something does go wrong. 🙏🏽

43 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

There were a few trying it on when the gate was opened, one lad seemed pretty hammered and got physically pushed back by the steward. Don't think we were in any danger of a crush or anything but it wouldn't have taken much for the 2 stewards to be pretty easily overwhelmed by the long queues of lads outside.

I don't know if this stuff is in the remit of the new stadium manager role they created for that Steve Brown fella or if it's all down to the safety officer but there is a lot of work to be done and lessons to be learned. This sort of stuff and the ticket office is the last bit of the club yet to be de-Gormed. 

Archived