onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Entry to Railway Paddock

PV1993

I think this is just a matter of frustration and inconvenience,no one is going to be trampled to death for goodness sake,just go to the ground 15 minutes early, what's the mither?

You couldn't be more wrong.
There were less gates open today than I have ever known, for one of the largest crowds for recent seasons
Its no suprise that the queues were enormous.
This has nothing to do with getting there 10 minutes earlier.
There was no organisation outside and none of the stewards had a clue what was going on.
The congestion only eased when a side door was opened and season ticket holders were ushered through while a bloke marked off the numbers entering on pad.

Advert

I do find the 'just get there early ffs' claim a little bit unfair. The concept that everyone is free all day on Saturday to turn up at Vale an hour early may be normal to some, but not others.

It's a League 2 game of football. I've gotten into Premier League games, Internationals, NFL games with greater ease and speed than I did today, and I was by no means cutting it fine. 

I liked how to ticket queue meshed and swirled with the queue to get in.

are you waiting for tickets? No

Have you got tickets? No

so you need you need tickets? Yes

this is the wrong queue, you have to queue to get them and then queue to get in.

we’re in the queue.

you’re in the wrong queue.

We are trying to get in.

but you have to get a ticket then queue up again.

and so forth.

jokes aside, it’s better than getting in straight away because nobody turns up!

From how many people have said the turnstile operators gave up when the scanners wouldn't work and just let people in I think it's pretty safe to safe there was actually over 7000 in. The Lorne Street looked as packed as I've seen for years. 

I think this is just a matter of frustration and inconvenience,no one is going to be trampled to death for goodness sake,just go to the ground 15 minutes early, what's the mither?

Them that were early had to queue them that turned up late got in pretty quick because the gates were opened

1 hour ago, Aguar61 said:

Some can’t, I was there early today and missed the start of the game. Your missing the point. The club should be prepared for a larger attendance. They know season ticket sales, it’s the first league home game post covid and they saw what happened Tuesday. It’s not up to the fans to have to get to the ground early. Still have the exact same bottleneck as well just 15 mins earlier? 

Complete shambles by the club, even if they were experiencing/ expecting to experience issues they should have let people know. Didn’t look great carol on the pitch before kick off whilst loads of fans couldn’t even get into the ground. It’s not rocket science. 2 turnstiles on the first league game in 500 odd days for the paddock makes no sense. 

Don't get me wrong it was a <ovf censored> show yesterday trying to get in but credit to everyone in the queues as they just got on with it and conducted themselves very well
One thing I will ask is if I've caught covid because of this incompetence are the club going to pay my wages when i have to self isolate for ten days.

17 minutes ago, dishydave said:

Don't get me wrong it was a <ovf censored> show yesterday trying to get in but credit to everyone in the queues as they just got on with it and conducted themselves very well
One thing I will ask is if I've caught covid because of this incompetence are the club going to pay my wages when i have to self isolate for ten days.

I have a ten game card with just the seat number on the club do not have my name or address or phone number as they did not ask for it when i brought the card so if a report comes in that the area i was in somebody had covid how do they inform me that i need to isolate.

I'm going to be a bit controversial here and say it added to the atmosphere it's been a long time since I've been around that many people having a laugh and a joke with strangers but if you are someone classed as vulnerable or have real concerns about this virus a 45 minute wait with hundreds of people was certainly not the place to be

11 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’ve a couple of friends who’ve decided not to bother for the Carlisle game as they have to work until quite late. They get their ticket before the game and say they cannot be bothered, after the problems yesterday. Can’t blame them, I’m in two minds myself.

Do you mean they queue? In fairness apart from the turnstile queue itself I was straight through after buying it online and having a QR code on my phone scanned, it gets emailed to you. 

I’m sure I read somewhere last year there’s a long term plan for that section of the ground to knock down the turnstiles. In a way it’d be a shame to lose a bit of 70 year old history but the number of turnstiles for the size of the railway isn’t proportional and most of the space is wasted on the bit the operator sits in. A number of new structures with multiple automated scanning turnstiles in each is the way. 

While they’re at it the railway needs a pop up refreshment kiosk to take the pressure off the main one as the queue was 15-20 mins at HT, people gave up and the business missed out on a little bit of revenue. Carol is very keen to save us from this tinpot league; the facilities and staff need to be prepared for larger crowds than in recent years to become the new standard. The Gorm years scrambling around the relegation spots and getting the depressed crowds to match are over. 

42 minutes ago, rsb said:

I have a ten game card with just the seat number on the club do not have my name or address or phone number as they did not ask for it when i brought the card so if a report comes in that the area i was in somebody had covid how do they inform me that i need to isolate.

Rules have changed from Monday…you don’t need to isolate, plus was it ever the case if you were outside?

The problem with knocking things down on the railway side of the ground is the coal board won't let them do it because of mine shafts. The initial plan was to extend the kiosk in the paddock but they wouldn't let them. so I would imagine it's a recurring theme with any other improvements they want to make.

Archived