onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Referees

Diego Maradona

On 11/08/2021 at 19:02, Diego Maradona said:

After yesterday’s refereeing debacle, maybe refereeing needs a total ‘re-set’?

Things which seem to be given by lazy refereeing but shouldn’t be are, for example: gaining 10 yards on a throw in, opposition players standing on top of the ball (stopping the attacking team from taking a quick fee-kick), giving fouls when players (usually the opposition) dive for no apparent reason (but only the referee can’t see what is going on), making decisions about things they think they have seen but actually haven’t or are too far way to make an accurate decision etc.

The amount of money in the EFL should ensure a certain calibre of referee, providing enough training, experience etc for a ‘given’ referee before he/she even contemplates refereeing a professional game.

Refereeing also seems to be a ‘closed shop’. Have a bad game - so what? Just carry on regardless.

For me, referees should have adequate training and experience before even being considered to referee a professional match. They should have the full support of the FA/EFL before entering into the job. A ‘standardised’ criteria of proficiency/ability that they are accountable to on a regular basis.

Why should substandard refereeing be tolerated? 

Any thoughts?

I agree with most of that. In my opinion hey need to be given a 2 or 3 match assessment period before they are deemed to be sufficiently qualified to make decisions that can cost clubs promotion / relegation and subsequent reduction in income? I'd further suggest that the panel that assesses them is made up of ex-referees / current referees and fans, and that they are really strictly scrutinised. Decisions like those we saw the other night should not be being made - it's as simple as that! 

Advert

Problem is there isn't enough talent coming up the ranks so that when someone is clearly <ovf censored> they have to stick with them. 

Add a 0 to their pay and make it a career choice. Add two 0s - refs decisions are worth potentiallyb millions. 

Then let's have proper review and analysis of referees performance and let's publish it every week. If a ref is getting a low score week after week he should be retrained and back down at amateur football. Refs getting consistent average scores should go up the ladder.

Sounds simple but I really do think if they increased the pay significantly you would see a higher calibre of people interested in doing it. Refs in the league I play in in Austria get 50 euros a game. Its bottom level but I have no idea why someone would give up 3 hours of their Sunday morning for it. 

Guest Vale at home
6 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Can remember when Graham Poll booked a player twice and didnt send him off, it was a World / European cup finals .  Made him look a total idiot. At the time the comment was why didnt his Linesman help him out and give him the nudge?  Mentioned this to someone inside the game and he told me it was because Poll was famous for telling his Liners in the pre match chat, 

" dont flag for anything , I will see it all so just follow my lead"

He said he was well known in the game for doing this,  his Liners would have been loving it, just desserts. Guess now  what comes to mind every time I see the ball go out right in front of a Liner and they look to the Ref before flagging ?

Total waste of resource but explains why so, so many poor decisions are made.

Yes she did . 

I would like to see the ref explain why they gave such a decision.Could be done in a post match interview.Yes the decision has already been made so it will not change the outcome.But it would help Managers Players Fans understand.It would also help the league to see if the ref needs to improve re read the rules.

As it is the ref makes the decision and that’s it.Sometimes many are confused by it.It could then help management players fans understand the rules of the game more.It could also improve the standards 

11 hours ago, melv said:

I would like to see the ref explain why they gave such a decision.Could be done in a post match interview.Yes the decision has already been made so it will not change the outcome.But it would help Managers Players Fans understand.It would also help the league to see if the ref needs to improve re read the rules.

As it is the ref makes the decision and that’s it.Sometimes many are confused by it.It could then help management players fans understand the rules of the game more.It could also improve the standards 

Thing is, not only has he cost us the game with getting 3 big decisions wrong, he’s cost us a potential big money tie in the next round, could have been a Man City again earning us a six figure sum, yet there’s absolutely no come back on the ref, doesn’t matter how well you play, if the ref says black is white it’s white.VAR  can be a ball ache, but at least it would have got those decisions right.

25 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Thing is, not only has he cost us the game with getting 3 big decisions wrong, he’s cost us a potential big money tie in the next round, could have been a Man City again earning us a six figure sum, yet there’s absolutely no come back on the ref, doesn’t matter how well you play, if the ref says black is white it’s white.VAR  can be a ball ache, but at least it would have got those decisions right.

He's getting a game today in the Championship ffs. 4th official at Swansea vs Sheff Utd. one of the incompetent liners has a game in League 1.

I can understand if PGMOL are short of numbers and have to allocate what that can due to the pandemic, but Christ. Clarke said in his interview yesterday that Allison still hasn't rang him up and apologised for single handedly knocking us out of a cup competition by giving Sunderland a free goal and chalking off a perfectly legal one for us, which says a lot about him. 

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

He's getting a game today in the Championship ffs. 4th official at Swansea vs Sheff Utd. one of the incompetent liners has a game in League 1.

I can understand if PGMOL are short of numbers and have to allocate what that can due to the pandemic, but Christ. Clarke said in his interview yesterday that Allison still hasn't rang him up and apologised for single handedly knocking us out of a cup competition by giving Sunderland a free goal and chalking off a perfectly legal one for us, which says a lot about him. 

Says it all, not only is he a crap ref, he’s an arrogant <ovf censored> as well.

On 11/08/2021 at 19:02, Diego Maradona said:

After yesterday’s refereeing debacle, maybe refereeing needs a total ‘re-set’?

Things which seem to be given by lazy refereeing but shouldn’t be are, for example: gaining 10 yards on a throw in, opposition players standing on top of the ball (stopping the attacking team from taking a quick fee-kick), giving fouls when players (usually the opposition) dive for no apparent reason (but only the referee can’t see what is going on), making decisions about things they think they have seen but actually haven’t or are too far way to make an accurate decision etc.

The amount of money in the EFL should ensure a certain calibre of referee, providing enough training, experience etc for a ‘given’ referee before he/she even contemplates refereeing a professional game.

Refereeing also seems to be a ‘closed shop’. Have a bad game - so what? Just carry on regardless.

For me, referees should have adequate training and experience before even being considered to referee a professional match. They should have the full support of the FA/EFL before entering into the job. A ‘standardised’ criteria of proficiency/ability that they are accountable to on a regular basis.

Why should substandard refereeing be tolerated? 

Any thoughts?

Refereeing is no doubt difficult with all the cheating that goes on.

They're only human, without the benefit of VAR at our level. The problem is, they may do 50 games and not even be noticed in 48 of them, but the 2 that they make a mistake in, they get criticised over social media with endless replays of penalties and goals. Give 'em a break.

5 hours ago, gavcradd said:

They're only human, without the benefit of VAR at our level. The problem is, they may do 50 games and not even be noticed in 48 of them, but the 2 that they make a mistake in, they get criticised over social media with endless replays of penalties and goals. Give 'em a break.

Why did he need var for the goal he disallowed. Keeper made a right cock up, also the pen he gave he had a good view. He had a crap game along with his so called assistants, no var would help them, they are crap.

5 hours ago, gavcradd said:

The standard of reffing is worse than it’s ever been too many think fans have come to watch them 

Archived