onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Referees

Diego Maradona

After yesterday’s refereeing debacle, maybe refereeing needs a total ‘re-set’?

Things which seem to be given by lazy refereeing but shouldn’t be are, for example: gaining 10 yards on a throw in, opposition players standing on top of the ball (stopping the attacking team from taking a quick fee-kick), giving fouls when players (usually the opposition) dive for no apparent reason (but only the referee can’t see what is going on), making decisions about things they think they have seen but actually haven’t or are too far way to make an accurate decision etc.

The amount of money in the EFL should ensure a certain calibre of referee, providing enough training, experience etc for a ‘given’ referee before he/she even contemplates refereeing a professional game.

Refereeing also seems to be a ‘closed shop’. Have a bad game - so what? Just carry on regardless.

For me, referees should have adequate training and experience before even being considered to referee a professional match. They should have the full support of the FA/EFL before entering into the job. A ‘standardised’ criteria of proficiency/ability that they are accountable to on a regular basis.

Why should substandard refereeing be tolerated? 

Any thoughts?

Advert

Sadly nothing will change. 

If a Premier League referee has a nightmare they are demoted to the lower leagues 

Yes the pace of the game is slower but why should a buffoon be foisted upon the lower leagues. 

A buffoon in the Premier League Is a buffoon full stop. 

Things like foul throws, the ball not in the triangle for a corner, time wasting are now just taken for granted. 

Some of them aren't fit either we had a guy last season on the ifollow coverage who was expecting twins. 

The standard is simply atrocious. 

4 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Things which seem to be given by lazy refereeing but shouldn’t be are, for example: gaining 10 yards on a throw in, opposition players standing on top of the ball (stopping the attacking team from taking a quick fee-kick), giving fouls when players (usually the opposition) dive for no apparent reason (but only the referee can’t see what is going on), making decisions about things they think they have seen but actually haven’t or are too far way to make an accurate decision etc.

The amount of money in the EFL should ensure a certain calibre of referee, providing enough training, experience etc for a ‘given’ referee before he/she even contemplates refereeing a professional game.

Refereeing also seems to be a ‘closed shop’. Have a bad game - so what? Just carry on regardless.

For me, referees should have adequate training and experience before even being considered to referee a professional match. They should have the full support of the FA/EFL before entering into the job. A ‘standardised’ criteria of proficiency/ability that they are accountable to on a regular basis.

Why should substandard refereeing be tolerated? 

Any thoughts?

Referees need to make a call on what they actually saw and not what they perceived. The disallowed goal last night being a prime example, there was no foul on the keeper so what did the referee base his decision on, couldn’t be what he saw or maybe he would have given a foul on Smithy.

1 minute ago, jeffers said:

Referees need to make a call on what they actually saw and not what they perceived. The disallowed goal last night being a prime example, there was no foul on the keeper so what did the referee base his decision on, couldn’t be what he saw or maybe he would have given a foul on Smithy.

The problem is the clown that refereed our game last night will be reffing again on Saturday and making more howlers and costing some club 3 points they are not accountable 

Again, foul throws, time wasting, not actually seeing an incident (but making a decision on it) are further examples of ‘real’ problems with poor refereeing.

The decisions a ref makes can be ‘huge’. In whatever league or competition because it’s all relative.

People in charge need to have higher expectations of the referees they recruit. I appreciate that it is a difficult job but there are lots of difficult jobs around with much more scrutiny. 

For me, there should be a better standard. 

2 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

The ref was very poor to say the least however for me they need a lot more support from the FA to be stronger with the clubs to set the rules and be consistent.Managers need to stop players from diving, surrounding the ref, blatant time management etc. to give refs a chance to make the right decision.

The really sad thing today, if a player tries to stay on his feet and plays on after they have been fouled they usually don't get the decision. That has to change otherwise the behaviour will not change.

I completely disagree about demoting a ref or not allowing them to ref another game after making mistakes in a game.I don't see how else are they going to learn and improve without more games.

I think we need full-time referees across all the EFL to improve the standard.

Totalling agree about refs having support/training etc. from the EFL/FA.

I also think refs should have an induction/monitoring process that is rigorous and aims to improves refereeing.

I appreciate that refs are humans and will therefore make mistakes on occasions BUT on occasions not the kind of refereeing on display last night last. 

Am fed up of leaving Vale Park talking about the negative  influence of the referee. Again and again.

I suppose some of us who complain about the current refs could always go and get qualified and work our way up through the leagues.

I've done it a couple of times on a Sunday morning and certainly wouldn't want to do it myself.

I'm as frustrated as the next fan about how poor some of the refs we have are but I suppose without doing something about it myself I can't be too critical.

Would that be the same if your child’s education was substandard? If you can’t do it yourself, you shouldn’t be critical???

Reffing at league 2 level isn't a full time profession. They are part time and most do it as a hobbie. These people go and get abused by players, fans and managers. Games couldn't take place if these guys don't step up. The FA are always asking for people to become referees.

The ref had an abysmal game last night, I'm not sure if it was a one off or his standard in general. It certainly spoilt the game and probably did us out of a win. I like most left the games incredibly frustrated with him.

The thread title asked what we could do about the poor standard of refereeing. I suppose I am suggesting that some of the more competent of us could go, put ourselves out there, and do better.

There is a difference between being critical and being too critical. I think saying someone shouldn't be aloud to referee without doing something about it ourselves is too critical. Saying the ref was poor and that I wish there were better refs about is fair.

4 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

Reffing at league 2 level isn't a full time profession. They are part time and most do it as a hobbie. These people go and get abused by players, fans and managers. Games couldn't take place if these guys don't step up. The FA are always asking for people to become referees.

The ref had an abysmal game last night, I'm not sure if it was a one off or his standard in general. It certainly spoilt the game and probably did us out of a win. I like most left the games incredibly frustrated with him.

The thread title asked what we could do about the poor standard of refereeing. I suppose I am suggesting that some of the more competent of us could go, put ourselves out there, and do better.

There is a difference between being critical and being too critical. I think saying someone shouldn't be aloud to referee without doing something about it ourselves is too critical. Saying the ref was poor and that I wish there were better refs about is fair.

It takes anything from 10 to 15 years reffing to have a chance of getting to football league standard but the better ones don’t always get the brakes that others get 

I feel that to improve refereeing, people in general should have higher expectations.

I don’t put up with certain things (like many others) in my every day  life but it seems like for refs, we just have to make do. Even ‘be greatful’ that we even have refs. Not for me. An overall is required otherwise we get the same. 

Archived