Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

Stone actually got away with a couple last night. One squirmed under his body at the Bycars end and was cleared , there was also a horrible moment where he was completely in no man's land again at the Bycars. Bit of a mix up and almost an open goal opportunity. 

So he certainly wasn't immaculate but steady with one or two wobbles. 

Interesting to see who Clarke goes for at 2-00pm on Saturday 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I ensure you I'm not being silly... 

I literally said that neither is the right or wrong approach.

I'm saying its a tough balance, I remember reading some famous keeper somewhere saying that he always felt more comfortable when his manager explained that he wasn't on "The chopping block" ... It helped him play freely and not be so uptight.

Now, that's not a silly concept is it? And nor is the concept that balancing those two juxtaposed concepts is a tough job.

Suggesting that players may benefit from not having to worry about losing their place in a discussion about a man who got himself sent off is silly, yes.

Edited by mr.hobblesworth

1 minute ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Suggesting that players may benefit from not having to worry about losing their place is silly, yes.

I'd suggest one mistake and you've lost your place doesn't really give out the right message either.

Stone made more mistakes last night than Covolan made on Saturday. I'd argue that anyway.

Unfortunately, Covolans one error got him sent off.

It wasn't exactly a Schumacher moment that saw him attempt GBH on someone, nor was it a retaliation/dissent sending off.  

He lost the ball, fouled the guy in attempting to retrieve it and was the last man.

3 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Suggesting that players may benefit from not having to worry about losing their place is silly, yes.

If you want to keep your place you have to be consistently better than the bench, odd mistakes should not matter.  Some players rotate so dont expect to be fixtures.  Ideally goalies are rotated, but wage differentials usually preclude this, especially in L1 and L2.

5 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

If you want to keep your place you have to be consistently better than the bench, odd mistakes should not matter.  Some players rotate so dont expect to be fixtures.  Ideally goalies are rotated, but wage differentials usually preclude this, especially in L1 and L2.

Ideally goalies are rotated ?

Couldn't disagree more mate 

It's an absolute specific position that needs a rapport building with a defence. 

You have to have a number one it's imperative. 

Up to Clarke who that is but rotation a massive no no in my book 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Suggesting that players may benefit from not having to worry about losing their place in a discussion about a man who got himself sent off is silly, yes.

Feels like you want an argument about it… 

Im simply saying there are many factors to be considered.

You seem to think that’s not true.

Depends on the lens you look at it through.

DC will make the call and I will back him to get it right. 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Ideally goalies are rotated ?

Couldn't disagree more mate 

It's an absolute specific position that needs a rapport building with a defence. 

You have to have a number one it's imperative. 

Up to Clarke who that is but rotation a massive no no in my book 

England did it with Shilton

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Joe B said:

Covolan (I just think he's the better keeper, harsh on Stone I know)

Cass Smith Martin Jones

Conlon Walker Pett

Worrall Proctor Rodney

Not a bad looking team that one apart from i would stick with Stone,did nothing to deserve to be dropped and Covolan should have to fight to get his place back after his moment of madness

Edited by werstayinup
  • Like 2

On the subject of keepers, based on the few games I’ve seen it’s too early to make a judgement of who’s better just yet. The overriding factor for Covolan is that he’s been sent off (rightly or wrongly) in 2 consecutive games and has put himself in situations that force the referee to make a decision. Stone has now played more competitive minutes this season than his opposite number and that must also be something that Clarke has to consider for saturdays game. 

• Like 4

Feeling confident we will get points on the board Sat after last nights showing. Would love to see 442 with Rodders LW but think we will persist with 352. My team based on performances of last 2 games which is a little harsh on Proctor,Walker and Legge but goes to show the strength of our squad.

Stone

Smith Martin Jones

Wozzza Pett Garrity Benning

Conlon

Wilson Rodders

Must admit how Garrity played last night changed my perception of him. (Shame on me)

However, I would still be tempted by Legge. Flawless last night. 

Think it’s great though, that we can pretty much, interchange our defensive players and still get a decent performance from them.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t start chopping and changing like mad based on these two games. Same 11 as the opener but with Cass as the only fit RWB, play him in that position as a 532 if DC insists on playing it. Worrall right of the 3 midfielders with Pett and Conlon. Not singling Walker our but we need more attacking flair and Worrall has to play, but nearer his correct position.

• Like 1

Am not necessarily advocating a particular way to play on Saturday but when we went to 442 last night, Worrall was like a bird released from a cage! 
He only needed to think about his attacking play. Which he carried out really well.

I personally feel that he’s done ok at RWB but he could have a real/more influence as a genuine ‘winger’.

’Round pegs in round holes?’

• Like 1

The good thing is that we have options to change it if we need to. Tuesdays game showed imo that the wingback system can work because we were on top for large spells of the first half. 

stone

smith Martin jones

worrall Walker pett benning

conlon

Wilson Rodney 

• Like 1