onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

Advert

21 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

I'd agree if we were a good few games into the season and Covolan had been dropping <ovf censored> left right and centre.

Should Wilson have played last night then, given his miss from on the goal line on saturday?

That's not what we're arguing. No-one's saying that Covolan should be dropped, just that he shouldn't automatically be given his place back.

18 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

That's not what we're arguing. No-one's saying that Covolan should be dropped, just that he shouldn't automatically be given his place back.

I just think it's way too early to be having a goalkeeping competition. 

Stone did ok last night, I'm not saying he didn't.  But Clarke thinks Covolan is the better keeper, otherwise Stone would've been in goal Saturday.

One mistake from Covolan and then a steady stand in performance from Stone and Covolan's out? 

I could see it if were 8 games in and Covolan hadnt looked good.

He made one mistake saturday and, in attempting to recover it, got sent off.  The mistake was dwelling on the ball.

He had no choice thereafter or it would have almost certainly been 2.0.

7 hours ago, Joe B said:

I thought it was 1 for a 'professional foul' and 3 for 'violent conduct'. I guess it would be down to how the ref categorised it.

https://thepfsa.co.uk/football-discipline-yellow-cards-red-cards-and-suspensions-explained/

1 games for Dogso - denial of goal scoring opportunity. Not given to a player if he gives away a penalty when making a genuine attempt to play the ball - only yellow. Changed a couple of years back to get rid of the double jeopardy. 

2 games for dissent. I think you only get yellow for basic dissent - ref that was wrong - but it becomes 2 games if you add that the official is a fat ******* **** (see Ron Futcher)

3 games for serious foul play that endangers the safety of an opponent or violent conduct - elbow, punch, stamp etc. 

1 hour ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Don't be so silly. It's no more damaging than it is for any other player who knows that there is competition for their place. If you remove that element of competition, as some are suggesting, you take away a motivation for players to improve and learn from errors, let alone what it tells the squad players who step up and try to take their chance.

I ensure you I'm not being silly... 

I literally said that neither is the right or wrong approach.

I'm saying its a tough balance, I remember reading some famous keeper somewhere saying that he always felt more comfortable when his manager explained that he wasn't on "The chopping block" ... It helped him play freely and not be so uptight.

Now, that's not a silly concept is it? And nor is the concept that balancing those two juxtaposed concepts is a tough job.

Stone actually got away with a couple last night. One squirmed under his body at the Bycars end and was cleared , there was also a horrible moment where he was completely in no man's land again at the Bycars. Bit of a mix up and almost an open goal opportunity. 

So he certainly wasn't immaculate but steady with one or two wobbles. 

Interesting to see who Clarke goes for at 2-00pm on Saturday 

24 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I ensure you I'm not being silly... 

I literally said that neither is the right or wrong approach.

I'm saying its a tough balance, I remember reading some famous keeper somewhere saying that he always felt more comfortable when his manager explained that he wasn't on "The chopping block" ... It helped him play freely and not be so uptight.

Now, that's not a silly concept is it? And nor is the concept that balancing those two juxtaposed concepts is a tough job.

Suggesting that players may benefit from not having to worry about losing their place in a discussion about a man who got himself sent off is silly, yes.

1 minute ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Suggesting that players may benefit from not having to worry about losing their place is silly, yes.

I'd suggest one mistake and you've lost your place doesn't really give out the right message either.

Stone made more mistakes last night than Covolan made on Saturday. I'd argue that anyway.

Unfortunately, Covolans one error got him sent off.

It wasn't exactly a Schumacher moment that saw him attempt GBH on someone, nor was it a retaliation/dissent sending off.  

He lost the ball, fouled the guy in attempting to retrieve it and was the last man.

3 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Suggesting that players may benefit from not having to worry about losing their place is silly, yes.

If you want to keep your place you have to be consistently better than the bench, odd mistakes should not matter.  Some players rotate so dont expect to be fixtures.  Ideally goalies are rotated, but wage differentials usually preclude this, especially in L1 and L2.

5 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

If you want to keep your place you have to be consistently better than the bench, odd mistakes should not matter.  Some players rotate so dont expect to be fixtures.  Ideally goalies are rotated, but wage differentials usually preclude this, especially in L1 and L2.

Ideally goalies are rotated ?

Couldn't disagree more mate 

It's an absolute specific position that needs a rapport building with a defence. 

You have to have a number one it's imperative. 

Up to Clarke who that is but rotation a massive no no in my book 

17 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Suggesting that players may benefit from not having to worry about losing their place in a discussion about a man who got himself sent off is silly, yes.

Feels like you want an argument about it… 

Im simply saying there are many factors to be considered.

You seem to think that’s not true.

Depends on the lens you look at it through.

DC will make the call and I will back him to get it right. 👍

11 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Ideally goalies are rotated ?

Couldn't disagree more mate 

It's an absolute specific position that needs a rapport building with a defence. 

You have to have a number one it's imperative. 

Up to Clarke who that is but rotation a massive no no in my book 

England did it with Shilton

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

Covolan (I just think he's the better keeper, harsh on Stone I know)

Cass Smith Martin Jones

Conlon Walker Pett

Worrall Proctor Rodney

Not a bad looking team that one apart from i would stick with Stone,did nothing to deserve to be dropped and Covolan should have to fight to get his place back after his moment of madness

Archived