onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

Advert

Feeling a lot more optimistic than last Saturday where I felt we may do ok but would be very dull to watch.

I think we have the making of a good team. I would like to see Proctor start ahead of Wilson. Otherwise a good performance against a good looking Tranmere side.

Positives:

- Dan Jones looks a very decent player both defensively and offensively.

- Rodney looked very sharp and far bulkier 'in the flesh'. There'll be a few scouts tracking his progress this season.

- The depth of the squad is far better. To be bringing on the likes of Proctor and Amoo was refreshing and it'll win us games this season.

Negatives:

- Both Walker and Garrity look limited. I won't go as far as to call them both 'plodders' because they were up against Foley (who was excellent yesterday) and Spearing (who's one of the best at this level). But, their limitations left a lot on the shoulders of Pett who never really got into the game.

- Benning. On paper, probably our best signing of the summer. However, he got beaten every single time in the first half by their winger and looked over-weight, flat-footed and one-paced. Cass blocked more crosses in his cameo than Benning did throughout his time on the pitch. If Tranmere's final ball had been better we'd have been in real trouble.

- Wilson needs a goal. Once he grabs one then I think we'll have a very decent player on our hands but until he does, we're in that limbo stage where we ask 'do we stick with a low-confidence striker or do we bench him in favour of Proctor?'. It's a delicate one for DC to handle.

Overall, we look a better side than last season. Two solid sides who cancelled themselves out to a certain extent although we definitely had the better chances to win it. Let's stick with them this season, could be a bit of a slow burner but we should be very competitive. 

Positives:
- Rodney looked very sharp and far bulkier 'in the flesh'. There'll be a few scouts tracking his progress this season.
- The depth of the squad is far better. To be bringing on the likes of Proctor and Amoo was refreshing and it'll win us games this season.

Negatives:
- Both Walker and Garrity look limited. I won't go as far as to call them both 'plodders' because they were up against Foley (who was excellent yesterday) and Spearing (who's one of the best at this level). But, their limitations left a lot on the shoulders of Pett who never really got into the game.
- Benning. On paper, probably our best signing of the summer. However, he got beaten every single time in the first half by their winger and looked over-weight, flat-footed and one-paced. Cass blocked more crosses in his cameo than Benning did throughout his time on the pitch. If Tranmere's final ball had been better we'd have been in real trouble.
- Wilson needs a goal. Once he grabs one then I think we'll have a very decent player on our hands but until he does, we're in that limbo stage where we ask 'do we stick with a low-confidence striker or do we bench him in favour of Proctor?'. It's a delicate one for DC to handle.

Overall, we look a better side than last season. Two solid sides who cancelled themselves out to a certain extent although we definitely had the better chances to win it. Let's stick with them this season, could be a bit of a slow burner but we should be very competitive. 

Incredibly harsh on Walker that is. I think he does the defensive midfield role really well. Good on the ball and hardly loses a tackle.

44 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

Positives:

Negatives:

Could not disagree more on Walker. 

A significant upgrade on Joyce. His range of passing is excellent and his reading of the game is also very good.

A significant upgrade on Joyce he may be, but that's not saying much given the latter now kicks a ball around in the National League North. 

Perhaps I have been a little harsh, I've seen the guy once. But he looked functional rather than spectacular yesterday and there were many occasions where I thought he lost challenges he should've won or wasn't in the right position to break up play and/or help setup attacks.

2 hours ago, Doha said:

And why did the liner it was right in front of not flag this weapon for simulation?

vale.gif.d44aa47b15219644dea81b42cea02b8d.gif

I went ballistic at the time ,with the linesman ,on Lorne St.Cheating at it's best.He was a tool throughout the game.Worse tha the idiot on Tuesday night.

And why did the liner it was right in front of not flag this weapon for simulation?

vale.gif.d44aa47b15219644dea81b42cea02b8d.gif

In all seriousness, antics like this should be an absolute embarrassment to any professional footballer and manager. They're not, but they should be. Imagine a rugby player doing that. He'd get lynched by his own teammates. Pathetic

I hope Wilson doesn’t become a scapegoat and we are patient with him. You can tell he’s technically very gifted and he can work a shot very well. 
It’s been three games, stick with him. I’m sure he has the potential be a top striker for us. 
Spot on.

14 minutes ago, philmpv said:

In all seriousness, antics like this should be an absolute embarrassment to any professional footballer and manager. They're not, but they should be. Imagine a rugby player doing that. He'd get lynched by his own teammates. Pathetic

That wants sending to their manager,as it's a disgrace. 

That wants sending to their manager,as it's a disgrace. 
Sadly, a lot of managers just won't care or see anything wrong with it (from their own team, at least). Many things have been said about NA, but one thing you could count on is that he'd have gone ballistic with any of his players who acted like this

Archived