onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

I haven’t read through this thread so apologies if this has been said, but at any one time we need one of Rod, Wilson or Proctor to be scoring.  If any two, or all three, are hitting the net even better.  All three had good chances yesterday, by far the better of the chances and if you’re having 15 shots only 2 on target is p1ss poor.  Ok we’ve hit the woodwork but sometime soon somebody has got to start putting them away.

Other than that game itself was a great contest I thought.  Tranmere looked decent and themselves are probably a decent CF away from being a top side.

Lots of positives from us, just lacking that killer touch, but the signs are there that we could have a decent season.

Advert

9 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I haven’t read through this thread so apologies if this has been said, but at any one time we need one of Rod, Wilson or Proctor to be scoring.  If any two, or all three, are hitting the net even better.  All three had good chances yesterday, by far the better of the chances and if you’re having 15 shots 2 on target is p1ss poor.  Ok we’ve hit the woodwork but sometime soon somebody has got to start putting them away.

Other than that game itself was a great contest I thought.  Tranmere looked decent and themselves are probably a decent CF away from being a top side.

Lots of positives from us, just lacking that killer touch, but the signs are there that we could have a decent season.

Yes that's right. If Tranmere had John Aldridge up front yesterday we might have lost 3-0. So we do need to take chances, but I feel our front guys are good enough. I mean, taking Pope aside, I have been in despair with poor or under performing strikers in recent years. We did hit post and crossbar and forced keeper to make a couple of really good saves. But there were at least a couple of really good moves / dribbles where I thought a great goal was on the cards and it was missed quite badly. However, for example, I can see coaching at work and Rodney has been markedly improved in movement, positioning and on the ball. So take that sort of coaching work on to finishing.

Well I enjoyed the game and I though we did enough to win. We should be at least hitting the target a lot more regular over the bar far too many times. Very impressed with Dan Jones we have a great player here. I think once we find the net a few times then we will push on. I am very optimistic for the future let’s hope we have a bit on luck as well.

9 minutes ago, Santa said:

At 62 I fear his goalscoring days may be behind him.

I have watched Aldridge quite a lot and the one thing he had above all else was to be in the right place. Won't have lost that. It is a form of magnetism.  Ok, I guess that is innate football intelligence rather than something supernatural. 

I doubt we will find many more teams in the league with a better pairing than spearing and foley. We dug in deep against these and in other games you’d expect the likes of Pett Conlon and Walker to get more time on the ball and be able to dictate the game a bit more. I’d settle for a point yesterday as they’ll be above us in the league come the end of the season. Carlisle will be just as tough Tuesday but we need to put a win on the board very soon and at least score a goal in the league. We don’t want to be playing catch up after ten games. 

Early days I know, but already it looks like we're shaping up for yet another season of not too many goals.  Thankfully our defence is so far looking tight and as with last year, I cannot see us conceding too many goals over the season.  However, we once again appear to be lacking the incisiveness up front and I fear that our goal tally may well be as low as last season.  As I say.....early days.......here's hoping I'm wrong!

I thought our defence did well yesterday. There were a number of times the ball was in our box but shots blocked off and a few where it flashed across goal. But in total I thought there was only one time they absolutely should have scored when their player got across the front post second half and missed goal with the header.

As some suggested we've had a tricky start .

Northampton won both, Tranmere fancied 

Carlisle 4 points and Stevenage and FGR are both 100% at the moment. 

So time for patience . 

I'd of settled for a 2-2-2 start , that's a reasonable base to build from. 

3 hours ago, bomber said:

Well I enjoyed the game and I though we did enough to win. We should be at least hitting the target a lot more regular over the bar far too many times. Very impressed with Dan Jones we have a great player here. I think once we find the net a few times then we will push on. I am very optimistic for the future let’s hope we have a bit on luck as well.

There was a 80 yard ball he played to put Rodney in I saw I think he was flagged offside but what a ball on Tues  he was doing that ball a few times also terrific player really like him and Cass who plays the same kind of optimistic balls and quality swinging 30 yard balls in both directions .

Archived