onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

22 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

Just back. Keeper solid when he stays at home. Dan Jones MOM. I will say it again don't see currently how we will score enough goals. Oh also think Legg should have started at Northampton not put a foot wrong.

Could easily have had a couple today at least, and on another day would. I don't think we're going to be a high scoring team, that's pretty clear. But if we keep on defending well and keeping clean sheets we'll win plenty of games.

Advert

Unlucky not win, hit the woodwork twice and should have had at least one pen, principally the second half shirt pull on Smith.
Benning didn’t have a great game. Jones quite narrow and consistently left his oppo in miles of space which was concerning at times. 
Covolon daft again with a stupid header, fortunately their forward was offside but otherwise steady. 
Legge immense in fairness to him. Rodney uncharacteristically not great. Definitely missed Conlon although Garrity looked miles better than the reviews Oldham fans were giving him. 
Could easily have notched a few today, it’ll come. Too much hoofball again though.

For what it's worth i think in the 2 games i have seen us play at home we have played very well and deserved more from them both,yes i have a couple of concerns but at some point it will all click so not worried at all,after all how did Bolton start last season,it takes a little time to Gel but we will get there soon enough

I thought we should have had in the very minute. From the corner Smith’s arm was blatantly held by Knight-Percival who pulled him down.
Wilson loads of effort but no quality balls to him, Rodney poor with only flashes of interest and effort. Proctor played well when he came on and looking how their back two struggled at times probably should have been on from the beginning.
Midfield up against two good players in Spearing and Foley and at times they controlled the game, but did not hurt us.
Their no. 2 was very pacy and missed a sitter first half and caused us problems all game.
Overall thought game could have gone either way so a draw about right.

Cov 6 Nothing really to do, what was that flying header? Don’t trust him yet, at all.

Benning 6 a few good crosses, looks unfit, probably why subbed

Smith 7 Solid, threat in the box, pulled down for at least one pen in my eyes

Legge 8 Easily dealt with their big lad

Jones 8 good footballer, hard tackler, good crosses, adaptable. Fantastic pick up

Walker 6 ‘the dirty work’ player, goes unseen I know I know. Anonymous.

Garrity 6 ok I guess, nothing to say

Pett 7 good on the ball, slow burner, will become a great asset over time in sure

Wilson 6 should have scored, could have got 2. 

Rodney 7 no service, hard worker, tackled back, played ok

Worrall 8 my MOTM, we have NOTHING going forward without him. He’s our best player. Stop shackling him, everyone can see it’s not right. Great chance of his own making. Quality crosses as has become the norm.

Cass 7 looked really decent and gave Worrall freedom. Him in a back 4 and Jones LB is the way to go based on that game.

Amoo 6 looks up for it, which is nice

It was there for the taking and Tranmere looked slow, no real threat, even when we have them acres to work with. If that’s a team to watch for promotion then I’m not too depressed with our opening offering.

Obviously missed Conlon and what a <ovf censored> player to miss for the first home league game! Would have been a different story I think with him in there as we were missing that little quality. Even game with Vale having the clearer chances.

21 minutes ago, knapperm said:

I thought we should have had in the very minute. From the corner Smith’s arm was blatantly held by Knight-Percival who pulled him down.
Wilson loads of effort but no quality balls to him, Rodney poor with only flashes of interest and effort. Proctor played well when he came on and looking how their back two struggled at times probably should have been on from the beginning.
Midfield up against two good players in Spearing and Foley and at times they controlled the game, but did not hurt us.
Their no. 2 was very pacy and missed a sitter first half and caused us problems all game.
Overall thought game could have gone either way so a draw about right.

Were you watching the same game as me ? Odd the comment about Rodney .

Just got back in thought it was a decent game for a 0-0 few points i picked out. 

i thought jones was excellent again as well as walker. Our two best players by a mile. 

smith and there striker were a great watch they had a battle for the whole of 90 mins with little digs and leaving one in on eachother all game. Smith frustrated him and managed to keep him mainly out the game

covolan dont get why people are questioning his distribution he played a couple of great balls forward and actually trys to find people in space rather than just lumping it up. 

we created enough to win the game without creating loads of chances. Another day we win that game but tranmere are a decent side so a point is not a bad result at all.

i really like the look of cass thought on tuesday and today when he came on he brought energy and linked up with worrall well. 

again its going to take time, the players are working eachother out, knowing eachothers games is massive and that will only come with playing with eachother regularly. 

All in all not a bad perfomance and result, roll on tuesday 

UTV

Not a bad game, neither side did quite enough to win it so a fair result. It had 0-0 written all over it for quite a long time but I don’t think anyone dared say it at the time. Their keeper was the busier and I think they’ll be pleased to go home with a point. We desperately need one or two things to gel in the final third ASAP.

19 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Just got back in thought it was a decent game for a 0-0 few points i picked out. 

i thought jones was excellent again as well as walker. Our two best players by a mile. 

smith and there striker were a great watch they had a battle for the whole of 90 mins with little digs and leaving one in on eachother all game. Smith frustrated him and managed to keep him mainly out the game

covolan dont get why people are questioning his distribution he played a couple of great balls forward and actually trys to find people in space rather than just lumping it up. 

we created enough to win the game without creating loads of chances. Another day we win that game but tranmere are a decent side so a point is not a bad result at all.

i really like the look of cass thought on tuesday and today when he came on he brought energy and linked up with worrall well. 

again its going to take time, the players are working eachother out, knowing eachothers games is massive and that will only come with playing with eachother regularly. 

All in all not a bad perfomance and result, roll on tuesday 

UTV

Very good summary

Thought it was a good game of football. Both teams will be up there in the end I think. We are obviously still gelling and getting to know systems and each other but I thought we looked like a team with potential. Thought Jones was excellent and Pett a little Duracell Bunny. Legge was dominant and Smiffy enjoyed his rumble with their CF I think.

As everyone has said before, I too, am worried about the sharp end.....where are the goals coming from? Hopefully once it clicks they will start to arrive because Wilson looks class but is he up for the nitty gritty of Div 2? Thought Proctor has looked good when he's come on. Wozza......well can you say??? Covolan is going to be "entertaining" shall we say.......I missed the header because iFollow have decided they have a new toy and are constantly doing replays whilst the game is going on.....cannot lie, I swore at the screen a few times. Hopefully a good win Tuesday night as the journey progresses.....UTV

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Absolutely, it’s the only bit they haven’t really sorted out yet which is a surprise given how bread and butter it is. The ticketing and crowd management is still as tinpot and laissez faire as it was under Gorm and costs us money from lost business when people just give up. 

Not bothering to tell people in long queues into the car park it’s full so they’d better pull a U turn until they reach the entrance after they’ve sat waiting on Hamil Road and then the queue for 20 mins is just moronic. 

I fell foul of the car park situation as well, the young girls were overwhelmed with the numbers, I've paid for a pass and had to turn round and find a place in Burslem, I hope these are just teething problems, I cannot fault Carol but there is a situation that needs sorting out and I'm sure she will address it for the future.

Archived