onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

I m generally encouraged by that performance actually a bit better watching us than I d imagined following some people’s comments vs Northampton.

No really bad performances.... Wilson did ol I thought needs the ball at his feet had our only efforts first half.

Jones was a huge surprise... really good.

it’s going to be difficult to track the changes in formation during games but there’s certainly something there to work with.

Advert

Decent game with the sides fairly evenly matched. We probably just about shaded the chances and Wilson + Rodney have to do better with their opportunities. Either side could have come away with a win.

Continually impressed by Jones and Walker. A couple of signings yet to really get going. Proctor lively again in his cameo. Pleased Covolan was reinstated; you back your number 1 and allow them to move on from the mistake.

People can come on P&G and blast fans for being disappointed by the turnstile shambles but it was a proper mess and needs addressing. 2 turnstiles for the Paddock, leading to a queue snaking hundreds deep round and round the car park. 6 in total for the entirety of the Railway Stand + Paddock. The nuts and bolts (tickets, turnstiles, toilets) of the average fan's match day experience still needs work at the club, despite vast improvements elsewhere, as it hasn't really changed. 

5 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

We desperately need a forward who can hold the ball up. I can’t see Wilson, Rodney or Proctor doing this enough. 
Legge had a good game as did Wozzer.

I m suprised at that I think Proctor has made a good living at holding the ball up in a league higher over s good number of years.

jury is out for all teams at this stage of the season but as I said earlier that was a decent game with lots of encouraging signs.

Good game with decent performances again but the strikers have got to start finding the net.

1st clean sheet which is a good place to start but we have to be better upfront in the box. On today's evidence I expect both teams will be top 7.

Unlucky not win, hit the woodwork twice and should have had at least one pen, principally the second half shirt pull on Smith.

Benning didn’t have a great game. Jones quite narrow and consistently left his oppo in miles of space which was concerning at times. 

Covolon daft again with a stupid header, fortunately their forward was offside but otherwise steady. 

Legge immense in fairness to him. Rodney uncharacteristically not great. Definitely missed Conlon although Garrity looked miles better than the reviews Oldham fans were giving him. 

Could easily have notched a few today, it’ll come. Too much hoofball again though.

Decent performance, deserved to win imo.

First half Rodney wasn’t tracking back and it was giving their RB free reign to run to the edge of our box and do whatever he wanted, thankfully we sorted that. Also too much long ball for my liking, kept turning possession straight back over to them. Again this improved for second half. If we play like we have the last two games all season I’m confident we’ll have a good season. The goals will come, unlucky today with hitting the post and bar and their keeper making a good save.

Didn’t affect me because I got in early, but the ticketing and parking system is a farce. How can you sell someone a parking permit for the season and then tell them it’s full? Needs sorting quickly.

0 goals in two league games is a bit concerning, but when you consider we've hit the woodwork a couple of times today it could quite easily be very different. We can also say that we've only conceded what was one very unfortunate goal in two league games also. We're going to be a difficult side to beat, as were Walsall under Clarke for the majority. Let's not forget that Clarke has already said we're bringing in two more attacking players before the window shuts, so it's not like he isn't fully aware that we're a little light in that area.

Must also say, wasn’t impressed by Covolan. His distribution was atrocious, was lucky not to concede when he came out and headed it away. Also looked a bit indecisive on some crosses that came in and wasn’t sure whether to come or go. Hopefully was just an iffy game for him.

I thought Covolan's distribution was exactly what we expected; he'll lost it a lot but every so often he'll play a killer ball, as he did to Worrall who set up Wilson for arguably our chance of the match. Risk and Reward.

If you're expecting a GK who picks players out with pings consistently AND is a competent keeper, you're expecting Ederson at Vale Park, lads. 

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Decent game with the sides fairly evenly matched. We probably just about shaded the chances and Wilson + Rodney have to do better with their opportunities. Either side could have come away with a win.

Continually impressed by Jones and Walker. A couple of signings yet to really get going. Proctor lively again in his cameo. Pleased Covolan was reinstated; you back your number 1 and allow them to move on from the mistake.

People can come on P&G and blast fans for being disappointed by the turnstile shambles but it was a proper mess and needs addressing. 2 turnstiles for the Paddock, leading to a queue snaking hundreds deep round and round the car park. 6 in total for the entirety of the Railway Stand + Paddock. The nuts and bolts (tickets, turnstiles, toilets) of the average fan's match day experience still needs work at the club, despite vast improvements elsewhere.

Absolutely, it’s the only bit they haven’t really sorted out yet which is a surprise given how bread and butter it is. The ticketing and crowd management is still as tinpot and laissez faire as it was under Gorm and costs us money from lost business when people just give up. 

Not bothering to tell people in long queues into the car park it’s full so they’d better pull a U turn until they reach the entrance after they’ve sat waiting on Hamil Road and then the queue for 20 mins is just moronic. 

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

I thought Covolan's distribution was exactly what we expected; he'll lost it a lot but every so often he'll play a killer ball, as he did to Worrall who set up Wilson for arguably our chance of the match. Risk and Reward.

If you're expecting a GK who picks players out with pings consistently AND is a competent keeper, you're expecting Ederson at Vale Park, lads. 

Great is this one of the final signings this window ?

8 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

I m suprised at that I think Proctor has made a good living at holding the ball up in a league higher over s good number of years.

Completely disagree. I think he has looked decent on Tuesday and again for 20 mins today. I think him and Wilson could form a really good partnership with Rodney playing outside on the LW.

5 minutes ago, Doha said:

Absolutely, it’s the only bit they haven’t really sorted out yet which is a surprise given how bread and butter it is. The ticketing and crowd management is still as tinpot and laissez faire as it was under Gorm and costs us money from lost business when people just give up. 

Not bothering to tell people in long queues into the car park it’s full so they’d better pull a U turn until they reach the entrance after they’ve sat waiting on Hamil Road and then the queue for 20 mins is just moronic. 

We had 5500ish home fans today. That's not massively special. Yes, it's a fair bit above average, but it's certainly not "get there at 1pm!" levels of crowd, with the car park attendants unable to count how many spaces need reserving for the ST holders. If we want to be a successful side we'll should be aiming for 5-6000 home fans regularly.

Some will come on and lambast 'The Moaners (Trademark)' but I took an 88yo for his first game in a decade today and the match day experience just isn't great/is no better, especially for a lad like him. 

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

It was mostly poor, which I’m not going to have a huge go at him for, it’s just one game. I’d just point out Brown got continuously lambasted for it and today Covolan’s was even worse

Archived