onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

Advert

On the subject of keepers, based on the few games I’ve seen it’s too early to make a judgement of who’s better just yet. The overriding factor for Covolan is that he’s been sent off (rightly or wrongly) in 2 consecutive games and has put himself in situations that force the referee to make a decision. Stone has now played more competitive minutes this season than his opposite number and that must also be something that Clarke has to consider for saturdays game. 

Feeling confident we will get points on the board Sat after last nights showing. Would love to see 442 with Rodders LW but think we will persist with 352. My team based on performances of last 2 games which is a little harsh on Proctor,Walker and Legge but goes to show the strength of our squad.

Stone

Smith Martin Jones

Wozzza Pett Garrity Benning

Conlon

Wilson Rodders

I wouldn’t start chopping and changing like mad based on these two games. Same 11 as the opener but with Cass as the only fit RWB, play him in that position as a 532 if DC insists on playing it. Worrall right of the 3 midfielders with Pett and Conlon. Not singling Walker our but we need more attacking flair and Worrall has to play, but nearer his correct position.

Am not necessarily advocating a particular way to play on Saturday but when we went to 442 last night, Worrall was like a bird released from a cage! 
He only needed to think about his attacking play. Which he carried out really well.

I personally feel that he’s done ok at RWB but he could have a real/more influence as a genuine ‘winger’.

’Round pegs in round holes?’

The good thing is that we have options to change it if we need to. Tuesdays game showed imo that the wingback system can work because we were on top for large spells of the first half. 

stone

smith Martin jones

worrall Walker pett benning

conlon

Wilson Rodney 

my starting 11 for Tranmere

Covolan

Smith.     Legge.     Jones

Worral.       Walker.         Pett.           Benning

Conlon

Proctor.           Rodney 

There has been much said about 352... lots of valid points made.

Imo, Jones gave a masterclass of a left CB on Tuesday. He covered every inch of his quadrant of the pitch, whilst Benning was fairly quiet.

By contrast, Nathan Smith seemed to play a more conventional centre back role, whilst Wozza covered every inch of the right hand side of the pitch.

I'm wondering whether there's a bit more to it than the system?

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

Imo, Jones gave a masterclass of a left CB on Tuesday. He covered every inch of his quadrant of the pitch, whilst Benning was fairly quiet.

By contrast, Nathan Smith seemed to play a more conventional centre back role, whilst Wozza covered every inch of the right hand side of the pitch.

Jones is more of a natural full back than Smith is and I think that’s one of the reasons. 

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

I have been impressed with Jones so far… room to continue to develop but putting in some impressive performances.

We’ve got to go 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 we looked so much better going forward with 4 at the back as it gave Worrall and Benning a license to get forward, that’s where we scored our goal on Tuesday from Worrall getting down the flank rather than still being in our half when he was playing wing back. Proctor has to start as he has played brilliantly when called upon, holding the ball up and bringing others into the game. Get Worrall and possibly Rodney running either side of him and that front 3 could cause Tranmere all sorts of problems. 

Archived