Match Thread: FLC R1 Port Vale v Sunderland

Fosse69

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/53784107.amp

"For me it's one of the first times in a long while that I've enjoyed the moment, because one of the negatives I have about myself is that I'm so self-critical, as I feel that I want to make such a difference.

"For me, one of the biggest drivers to be successful is to try to get to the highest level I can, to be a role model, to break down any barriers, if there are any, and to challenge the status quo in society to say 'we can be good referees too'."

Failing miserably based on last night's performance

• Like 2

Advert:

20 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

He hasn't got a league game on Saturday but is doing the Colchester game against Mansfield next Tuesday.  And this after Colchester have Trevor Kettle on Saturday!!

Poor buggers.

That really is a joke though. For him to have such an atrocious game and not get either sat for a couple of weeks or demoted to non league is a farce. So there’s no consequence for putting in a bad performance then. Refs know it doesn’t matter if they’re rubbish, they’ll be out next week again.

He hasn't got a league game on Saturday but is doing the Colchester game against Mansfield next Tuesday.  And this after Colchester have Trevor Kettle on Saturday!!
If they sign Theo that week too, the Colchester Samaritans helplines will be off the hook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Advert:

34 minutes ago, MBE said:

As this thread has shown even we couldn't agree what formation as it was really fluid.

I think that was more me questioning my own memory… the sentinel reports confirm it was 352 as I originally thought and others have backed up. We certainly played 3 at the back for the vast vast vast majority of minutes through that run.

All this has come from the fact that people have started hating 352 and claim it can’t be successful… 

Disliking 352 has become the new longing for 442.

All I have ever tried to say is that it can and has been successful.

Not that it’s perfect, not that it’s the only formation we should play.

Just that it shouldn’t be thrown out… it should be used as one tool in our kit to try and win games.

• Like 1

Didn't DC say when he came in that it's not about formations, it is about what you do with them? Quite.

I have no problem with 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 or whatever so long as we win.

Think the thing is not getting too predictable, looking at the oppo, and having players comfortable in their part in the system we are playing. 

• Like 1

For all the talk about the (terrible) standard of the officials at last nights game, let's not take our eye off the ball.  15 shots, which is good, but only 4 on target according to the stats.  We had some great chances to at least test their keeper yesterday but mostly failed to do so.  Convert a couple of those misses and we wouldn't be focusing on the ref, unless he chalked them off, because of some dream he was having at the time.

To be fair, ordinarily, if we had converted more chances, I wouldn’t be commenting on the officials.
However, as the officials were so poor last night, I would definitely have made comments about the officials if we had won.

Also, after watching last night, I didn’t need to look at any stats to tell me that we were as good as they were for the first 60 minutes BUT absolutely battered them for the last half hour.

The application of the players in the whole game but especially the last 30 minutes will do for me. Wins will come!

• Like 4

Advert:

I'm not sure of the official structure of the ref world... but it seems they are in desperate need of independent review.

At the moment it seem like Refs review Refs.

I may be wrong on that... someone will probably know.

One big challenge is that a bad ref is usually labelled so by the losing side.... the winning team laughs it off and moves on. The FA can then just write off any grumblings as sour grapes.

The more winning teams point out rubbish refs the better... although I think they are so insulated then it wouldn't make a difference unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I'm not sure of the official structure of the ref world... but it seems they are in desperate need of independent review.

At the moment it seem like Refs review Refs.

I may be wrong on that... someone will probably know.

One big challenge is that a bad ref is usually labelled so by the losing side.... the winning team laughs it off and moves on. The FA can then just write off any grumblings as sour grapes.

The more winning teams point out rubbish refs the better... although I think they are so insulated then it wouldn't make a difference unfortunately.

We could ask REP, oh maybe not.

• Haha 1

Advert:

There are several positive things in all of these discussions:

1. We can flex or completely change formation between or during games to positive effect. 3-5-2, 3-4-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 all have a valid claim as our 'best' formation given the players now at our disposal, and a manager who has shown he is not wedded to one formation. Maybe a solid start followed by a change-up to a more attacking formation in the last 30 mins is the way to go? We're certainly going to have the forward players on the bench (Amoo, Hurst, whichever of the front 3 isn't starting) to come on, provide energy and put us on the front foot as the game wears on, rather than (as happened a lot last season), seeing the opposition make those proactive changes that turn the game.

2. We were competitive (probably would have won if it weren't for useless officials) against a team from the league above, despite resting Conlon and Rodney, and without Gibbo still. That wouldn't have happened last season.

3. Players we thought were likely to just be back-up this season, such as Stone, Proctor, Cass, Garrity, Legge, probably even Amoo, have forced themselves (back) into the reckoning and shown how little a gap in quality there is across the squad. We've improved to the extent that we have genuine debate as to our best option or strongest combination in almost all areas, (Pett, Conlon and Worrall are the only guaranteed starters for me), rather than choosing the 'least worst' option. 

UTV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1