Match Thread: FLC R1 Port Vale v Sunderland

Fosse69

Part of the problem last night was probably the fact that Stoke were playing as well. A lot of the turnstile operators work at both grounds so they a chunk of them must be Stoke fans. 

• Like 1

We do have a strong squad now with various combinations that will keep opponents guessing. I'm  very optimistic of a good showing in the league campaign. Also, wow! Darrell booming away all match gives us in Lorne Street entertainment! It's obvious now he has instilled a "never say die" attitude which Vale fans will love. UTV.

• Like 1

Just seen the highlights. That penalty was even less of one seeing it from a better angle. Stone clearly got both hands to the ball. Their player didn't even appeal. No doubt we'll get a written apology, which will make us all feel better. Fuming. Makes you wonder whether the ref had a bet on Sunderland to score the second goal

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its an awful decision, both times Sunderland have come to VP they've had big decisions go their way (penalty Hannant didnt get in the cup tie).

More positive that we've had a go, they actually sent on their bigger guns like Grigg and McGeady before we started to batter them in the last half hour.

Food for thought... another striker is a must and the sooner the better to give us options but surely it will go for us sooner or later.

• Like 2

Surprised the online ticketing and the turnstile staff to be able to use QR codes wasn’t publicised more.

That said, the bottleneck at the turnstiles themselves didn’t look great.

I saw a load of Sunderland fans in Burslem and wondered why they all had dandruff. It turns out that their new home shirt has a sort of fade effect on it. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Ok late post about last night but short and sweet apart from getting in the  ground and the floodlights at the bycars end going off but ain't going concentrate on them poor things I am going tell you that Vale looked a really good side the ones who went will not have to tell you they know .

That last 30 mins were superb creating chances pinging it around how Worrall and Legge not scored Proctor heading just wide twice Proctor scoring after lovely play involving Worrall and whoever played the pass initially .

Bailey looks a good un that Pett rightly man of  the Match and Amoo do not get me started on that terrific player as he was indeed terrific .

Never a pen for them but wasn't to be well played the Vale we played the game the way i want see the game played you infused the crowd and to be quite to the point we deserved a lot better .

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've still not calmed down from that disgraceful refereeing performance. Utterly abject. Borders on outright cheating.

Aside from the <ovf censored> of a ref:

3-5-2 doesn't work. It's worked as a "stop the rot" formation but wow, how much better at 4-4-2 did we look? 

Our centre midfield is the best I've seen in a long time.

Was that David Amoo? Absolutely changed the game!

With an unbiased/competent ref we'd be in the draw for the next round 100%.

• Like 6

I've still not calmed down from that disgraceful refereeing performance. Utterly abject. Borders on outright cheating.
Aside from the of a ref:
3-5-2 doesn't work. It's worked as a "stop the rot" formation but wow, how much better at 4-4-2 did we look? 
Our centre midfield is the best I've seen in a long time.
Was that David Amoo? Absolutely changed the game!
With an unbiased/competent ref we'd be in the draw for the next round 100%.
Amoo was superb last night. Love him when he's up for it. Big challenge for him though is to be that influential 90% of the time, not 10%. Not a starter for me but could be used as a crucial impact sub this season
  • Like 3

Is anyone else totally fed up with players wasting time, when their team is winning. Before anyone says anything, yes we do it and for me it’s ruining the game, as the game is stop start and doesn’t flow. You see it every time the game stops, goal kicks, free kicks, thrown ins, substitutions. Sunderland we’re a very good example of this last night. It’s ruining the game and it needs to be stopped NOW. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Thing is... as this thread has thoroughly examined and proved... Despite what sky said, we mostly used 352 in the most successful run of our modern era. We nearly broke all the records with it.

Played: 9

Won: 8

Drew: 1

Lost: 0

Scored: 14

Conceded: 3 

That's far more than stopping the rot.

It just cant be as simple as saying it doesn't work... because we have made it work in the past. One thing we know about DC is he will change things up when he sees the benefit of doing so. He did it to us when at Walsall and he changed the formations in-game in that run.

I think we will get to a stage where we use a number of formations at the start and during games. One guess may be that he is waiting for the team to gel a little more first rather than over complicating things with multiple formation changes.... something he did a bit more with a team that had been together longer last year.

I get we love wingers and attacking intent, and Im all for using them... but we cant say 352 doesn't work because it has.

Edited by Iron Curtain

Is anyone else totally fed up with players wasting time, when their team is winning. Before anyone says anything, yes we do it and for me it’s ruining the game, as the game is stop start and doesn’t flow. You see it every time the game stops, goal kicks, free kicks, thrown ins, substitutions. Sunderland we’re a very good example of this last night. It’s ruining the game and it needs to be stopped NOW. 
It used to be called time wasting and frowned upon. It's now called 'game management' and applauded. Easy way to stop it - ref required to add on time for all stoppages, and an extra 30 seconds for all deliberate attempts to waste time.

8 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

It’s just there isn’t it. You might as well howl at the moon as complain about time wasting. 

18 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Completely agree, last night was shocking and the ref had a word with their keeper and he then proceeded to take even longer and no booking for him.  Like you say we do it as well, Brown was a master at it but it is ruining the game.  The one that gets to me is when a keeper makes a simple catch and collapses to the floor when a goal up with a few minutes to go. They know that refs will not add this time on at the end.  Does the 6 second rule exist anymore?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Too early to be berating players but I thought we looked a better side with Bailey with Proctor  than Wilson with Proctor or did I imagine the last 30 mins where Vale created a fair few good chances. 

As me ,my  m8 my lad and nephew all said Cass Amoo and Bailey made the  difference all of a sudden our movement was better our fluidity also .

How on earth haven't we equalised because we should have .

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner

54 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I'm no fan of 352 but I thought it worked well last night. We played some really nice stuff and opened them up a few times.Jones and Benning link up play on the left was very good plus the way Jones switched the play to Wozza. Unusually for both players the final ball let them both down however the best chances of the game fell to Wilson and Wozza playing that way.  Yes we looked dangerous 442 with pace on the wing through Amoo but I really can't see us changing formation soon.

Peronsally I would prefer to us play 442 with Rodders as the left winger but left playing higher up the pitch like Vincent did during the 1st half of our promotion season.

42 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

hing is... as this thread has thoroughly examined and proved... Despite what sky said, we mostly used 352 in the most successful run of our modern era. We nearly broke all the records with it.

IC the big difference between that run and the start of the season is nobody knew how what formation we would play.The start of this season every man and his dog know we are going to play 352 so are well prepared to stop it. Last season the players were pretty much the same each week but you honestly couldn't call how we would set-up. The formation also changed during games with the same personnel so it made it very difficult for the opposition to set-up in a particular way to stop us. 

• Like 1