• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: FLC R1 Port Vale v Sunderland

Fosse69

24 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

100% we were 3-5-2 during the winning run. Legge never played in a 2 under Clarke. 

I didn’t think my memory was that bad 👍

Those sky line ups are often a bit shaky.

Edited by Iron Curtain

Advert:

26 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Not strictly related to the match itself, but what on earth were the stewards and police thinking just letting a random drunk bloke wander about the pitch and grab players? Not one of them showed any inclination to intervene or enter the pitch. If he'd had a knife (I know he didnt) it could have been a very different story. Perhaps if he'd been chanting anti-gay or islamaphobic comments they'd have rushed on with their riot batons?

Yes, a strange night.  Long queues for the few turnstiles that were open.  Turnstile operators on the quieter Railway Stand for some reason not being moved to the busier Paddock turnstiles.  A drunken pitch invader being completely ingnored by both stewards and police.  A partial floodlight failure, just as we seemed to be getting on top.  At least on the pitch we were treated to a little normality, by way of the usual poor match officials.

• Like 2

I think when it properly clicks we'll be a very decent side.

I was impressed with a lot of our players tonight but especially Proctor, Jones and Pett.

Two of those i wasnt really expecting much from either.

Penalty decision was an utter farce, thought we played really well second half and finished the game very unlucky not to have levelled.

• Like 1

Advert:

Yes, a strange night.  Long queues for the few turnstiles that were open.  Turnstile operators on the quieter Railway Stand for some reason not being moved to the busier Paddock turnstiles.  A drunken pitch invader being completely ingnored by both stewards and police.  A partial floodlight failure, just as we seemed to be getting on top.  At least on the pitch we were treated to a little normality, by way of the usual poor match officials.
If I was Carol, I'd be having a meeting with the chief inspector first thing tomorrow and asking exactly what the money she is forced to pay every match day covers.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, soothsayer said:

No we didn’t!! Look up the match reports we played 4-3-3 in seven of those games and 3-4-3 in another.

Because I’m questioning my own sanity, and it’s important when considering the merits of formations… I went back to the sentinel reports.

The sky line ups are wrong… here is their line up for Exeter vs the sentinel write up which talks about them playing 352. If you watch the highlights clips Wozza is clearly playing RWB albeit we are doing a better job of him pushing up.

Baggers also mentions that we played the 352 in the previous 2 games… Crawley and Colchester. Sky incorrectly has the line up at 433 for those 2 games also.

So we did play 3 at the back through that run… so the fear of it being a leaky formation can be put to bed.

Better research needed Marra 😉

DD79C771-23B1-4F58-8228-163971AE1DA2.png

B85C7B3D-C99E-492F-B30C-5E7A2F3AEA6F.jpeg

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Because I’m questioning my own sanity, and it’s important when considering the merits of formations… I went back to the sentinel reports.

The sky line ups are wrong… here is their line up for Exeter vs the sentinel write up which talks about them playing 352. If you watch the highlights clips Wozza is clearly playing RWB albeit we are doing a better job of him pushing up.

Baggers also mentions that we played the 352 in the previous 2 games… Crawley and Colchester. Sky incorrectly has the line up at 433 for those 2 games also.

So we did play 3 at the back through that run… so the fear of it being a leaky formation can be put to bed.

During the winning streak we played almost exclusively three at the back. Smithy Legge Briz.  In the above game Wozzer was  defo RWB

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Great to hear that Wilson and Proctor are gelling - thought they looked good at Chesterfield. 

Dont like knocking players and i guess it was just me but i didn't think Wilson looked interested,i was far more excited by Bailey when he came on but i thought Proctor played very well...as it stands Proctor and Rodders would be the starting front 2 at the moment

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Advert:

49 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Dont like knocking players and i guess it was just me but i didn't think Wilson looked interested,i was far more excited by Bailey when he came on but i thought Proctor played very well...as it stands Proctor and Rodders would be the starting front 2 at the moment

Bailey looked exactly like what he is, a young boy running around against men. He’s not ready for league football yet and was out of his depth last night. Wilson did well coming deep and linking play, made some good runs in the channel and also should have done better with his chance in the first half. At one point first half he made a fantastic recovery run covering for Benning.  You can tell he’s got a great touch and technique. He’s just a different type of player that isn’t a headless chicken running everywhere. 

• Like 9

Probably been done to death but I'll still comment 

Usually you get one inept official last night as a collective all three were abysmal. 

The two lines persons were disgusting. Particularly the Lorne Street one. 

I enjoyed the game, did it merit 7 yellow cards, hardly.

Amoo great cameo but when he starts it's a different scenario. Played his way onto the bench though surely. 

Good effort on a night ruined by the three Stooges 

399 Sunderland, I suggest folk refrain from quoting clowns on Facebook, they'll be telling you that the moon is made of cheese next 

• Like 3

On 08/08/2021 at 09:58, Andy Proctor said:

Sunderland will be too strong for us. I'd imagine they will win 2 nil or 2 1. I was hoping we would get a decent crowd in for this but by the looks of it it won't be. I thought Sunderland would bring a big following but not sure they will bring anymore than 500. Fans just don't seem bothered about cup games anymore. 

🤗🤗

Advert:

It has been mentioned on this thread but to save disappointment for those who didn’t go last night but plan to go on Saturday. The queues outside the ground to get into the railway paddock went all the way back to Hamil Road. So to save disappointment unless all turnstiles are open don’t leave it till the last moment to get into the ground. I know there was only just over 3,000 but PVFC would have had an idea  of how many were attending. Yes you could buy tickets on the night but that queue wasn’t long at all.

• Like 2