Match Thread: FLC R1 Port Vale v Sunderland

Fosse69

plenty of positives to take from that even if we did lose - you cant do anything about poor refereeing

Onwards to Saturday which is the game i'd much rather win

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I thought that, I seem to remember DC saying he basically had to play 433 as all the players we had were signed to play that role and couldn’t fit in to different tactics 

Perhaps he should consider going back to 4-3-3 as he did have some success with it.

• Like 2

Happy with that tonight bar the ref performance. How was that a penalty?

352  looked decent 1st half and 2nd half change to 442 when 2-0 down we looked really dangerous. Final ball just not quite there and not clinical enough but overall some  good performances.

Huge improvement from Saturday and very encouraging.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dishydave said:
30 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:
Well knock me down with a feather… I was wrong on that one… false memory syndrome on my part!
I stand corrected 

We played 3-5-2 in all those games

No we didn’t!! Look up the match reports we played 4-3-3 in seven of those games and 3-4-3 in another.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Looked much more of a threat when we switched to 442. Love Amoo when he's in that type of mood. Garrity impressed me greatly. Pett did well. Jones a joy to watch. Very unlucky not to take it to penalties and may well have done but for an absolutely shocking peno award. I was right in line with it and it was never a penalty in a thousand years. Happy to be proved wrong by TV replay but doubt I will be. Full credit to their keeper for a stonking save near the end too. Very positive following that performance. Showed me that we have more than enough to play 2 in the centre of midfield.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Utter rubbish - I’ve just looked up all nine games and we only played 3-5-2 once in those games. In seven we played 4-3-3 and in the other 3-4-3.

You need to do your research marra!

Had same thought and posted on the Northampton match thread, got bored going through all the line-ups though.

Issue is will DC realize it and give 4 at the back a chance. Couldn't watch the game tonight but listened to the commentary and it sounded like Vale are a much better team with Worrall further up the pitch rather at RWB.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Plenty of positives from that second half. We looked far more threatening going forward when Amoo came on and we reverted to 4-4-2. Amoo offers something different to the rest of the squad and I still think he’s a key player. I also thought Garrity and Pett looked a lot more comfortable playing as a 2 in central midfield. 

It’s a lot easier to create combinations and patterns of play when there’s full backs and wingers in front of them. When Benning was wing back he kept getting the ball and there was no one in front of him, leading him to turning back. 

Smith also seems far more comfortable playing with just 2 centre backs. He gets dragged about far too much in a 3. That led to their first goal. 

In terms of attack, Proctor and Wilson didn’t really work. Proctor grew into them game and improved second half, having Worrall and Amoo nearer to him helped. Wilson has yet to set the world alight. However you can tell he is technically gifted. 

Edited by SuperHuman