onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLC R1 Port Vale v Sunderland

Fosse69

I'm not sure of the official structure of the ref world... but it seems they are in desperate need of independent review.

At the moment it seem like Refs review Refs.

I may be wrong on that... someone will probably know.

One big challenge is that a bad ref is usually labelled so by the losing side.... the winning team laughs it off and moves on. The FA can then just write off any grumblings as sour grapes.

The more winning teams point out rubbish refs the better... although I think they are so insulated then it wouldn't make a difference unfortunately.

Advert

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I'm not sure of the official structure of the ref world... but it seems they are in desperate need of independent review.

At the moment it seem like Refs review Refs.

I may be wrong on that... someone will probably know.

One big challenge is that a bad ref is usually labelled so by the losing side.... the winning team laughs it off and moves on. The FA can then just write off any grumblings as sour grapes.

The more winning teams point out rubbish refs the better... although I think they are so insulated then it wouldn't make a difference unfortunately.

We could ask REP, oh maybe not.

There are several positive things in all of these discussions:

1. We can flex or completely change formation between or during games to positive effect. 3-5-2, 3-4-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 all have a valid claim as our 'best' formation given the players now at our disposal, and a manager who has shown he is not wedded to one formation. Maybe a solid start followed by a change-up to a more attacking formation in the last 30 mins is the way to go? We're certainly going to have the forward players on the bench (Amoo, Hurst, whichever of the front 3 isn't starting) to come on, provide energy and put us on the front foot as the game wears on, rather than (as happened a lot last season), seeing the opposition make those proactive changes that turn the game.

2. We were competitive (probably would have won if it weren't for useless officials) against a team from the league above, despite resting Conlon and Rodney, and without Gibbo still. That wouldn't have happened last season.

3. Players we thought were likely to just be back-up this season, such as Stone, Proctor, Cass, Garrity, Legge, probably even Amoo, have forced themselves (back) into the reckoning and shown how little a gap in quality there is across the squad. We've improved to the extent that we have genuine debate as to our best option or strongest combination in almost all areas, (Pett, Conlon and Worrall are the only guaranteed starters for me), rather than choosing the 'least worst' option. 

UTV

There doesn't seem to be a lot wrong. I couldn't go to the Sunderland game but clearly the goal disallowed should have been disallowed because the referee blew the whistle before the ball was kicked into the net. But his blowing the whistle for a foul on the keeper was totally wrong. If anything it should have been a penalty to Port Vale or play advantage and Vale score.

The stats show we had a high level of shots but need to get more on target. Could do without our keeper getting sent off. Need to defend dead balls better. Need to retain the ball better going forward in order to get player up the pitch; that usually means be less ambitious or at worse kick it in the corner and press. None of the frailties looks too serious. Whatever the formation. 

Did anyone see the highlights of the Mackems game at the weekend against MK Dons?  They got another ridiculous penalty when their player did one of those moves where he trips himself with no opponent near him. Ref bought it. In this case they missed the pen though. 

Archived