onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLC R1 Port Vale v Sunderland

Fosse69

Advert

I've still not calmed down from that disgraceful refereeing performance. Utterly abject. Borders on outright cheating.
Aside from the of a ref:
3-5-2 doesn't work. It's worked as a "stop the rot" formation but wow, how much better at 4-4-2 did we look? 
Our centre midfield is the best I've seen in a long time.
Was that David Amoo? Absolutely changed the game!
With an unbiased/competent ref we'd be in the draw for the next round 100%.
Amoo was superb last night. Love him when he's up for it. Big challenge for him though is to be that influential 90% of the time, not 10%. Not a starter for me but could be used as a crucial impact sub this season

Is anyone else totally fed up with players wasting time, when their team is winning. Before anyone says anything, yes we do it and for me it’s ruining the game, as the game is stop start and doesn’t flow. You see it every time the game stops, goal kicks, free kicks, thrown ins, substitutions. Sunderland we’re a very good example of this last night. It’s ruining the game and it needs to be stopped NOW. 

33 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

3-5-2 doesn't work. It's worked as a "stop the rot" formation but wow, how much better at 4-4-2 did we look? 

Thing is... as this thread has thoroughly examined and proved... Despite what sky said, we mostly used 352 in the most successful run of our modern era. We nearly broke all the records with it.

Played: 9

Won: 8

Drew: 1

Lost: 0

Scored: 14

Conceded: 3 

That's far more than stopping the rot.

It just cant be as simple as saying it doesn't work... because we have made it work in the past. One thing we know about DC is he will change things up when he sees the benefit of doing so. He did it to us when at Walsall and he changed the formations in-game in that run.

I think we will get to a stage where we use a number of formations at the start and during games. One guess may be that he is waiting for the team to gel a little more first rather than over complicating things with multiple formation changes.... something he did a bit more with a team that had been together longer last year.

I get we love wingers and attacking intent, and Im all for using them... but we cant say 352 doesn't work because it has.

Is anyone else totally fed up with players wasting time, when their team is winning. Before anyone says anything, yes we do it and for me it’s ruining the game, as the game is stop start and doesn’t flow. You see it every time the game stops, goal kicks, free kicks, thrown ins, substitutions. Sunderland we’re a very good example of this last night. It’s ruining the game and it needs to be stopped NOW. 
It used to be called time wasting and frowned upon. It's now called 'game management' and applauded. Easy way to stop it - ref required to add on time for all stoppages, and an extra 30 seconds for all deliberate attempts to waste time.

8 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

It’s just there isn’t it. You might as well howl at the moon as complain about time wasting. 

18 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Completely agree, last night was shocking and the ref had a word with their keeper and he then proceeded to take even longer and no booking for him.  Like you say we do it as well, Brown was a master at it but it is ruining the game.  The one that gets to me is when a keeper makes a simple catch and collapses to the floor when a goal up with a few minutes to go. They know that refs will not add this time on at the end.  Does the 6 second rule exist anymore?  

Too early to be berating players but I thought we looked a better side with Bailey with Proctor  than Wilson with Proctor or did I imagine the last 30 mins where Vale created a fair few good chances. 

As me ,my  m8 my lad and nephew all said Cass Amoo and Bailey made the  difference all of a sudden our movement was better our fluidity also .

How on earth haven't we equalised because we should have .

UTV 

54 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I'm no fan of 352 but I thought it worked well last night. We played some really nice stuff and opened them up a few times.Jones and Benning link up play on the left was very good plus the way Jones switched the play to Wozza. Unusually for both players the final ball let them both down however the best chances of the game fell to Wilson and Wozza playing that way.  Yes we looked dangerous 442 with pace on the wing through Amoo but I really can't see us changing formation soon.

Peronsally I would prefer to us play 442 with Rodders as the left winger but left playing higher up the pitch like Vincent did during the 1st half of our promotion season.

42 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

hing is... as this thread has thoroughly examined and proved... Despite what sky said, we mostly used 352 in the most successful run of our modern era. We nearly broke all the records with it.

IC the big difference between that run and the start of the season is nobody knew how what formation we would play.The start of this season every man and his dog know we are going to play 352 so are well prepared to stop it. Last season the players were pretty much the same each week but you honestly couldn't call how we would set-up. The formation also changed during games with the same personnel so it made it very difficult for the opposition to set-up in a particular way to stop us. 

56 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Yes but the play acting and throwing yourself on the floor screaming to "buy" a free kick pisses me more.

Its ruining football and why I don't watch PL and European football but sadly its creeping more and more into lower leagues too. If it every gets to the stage as it is in the PL I will stop going.

26 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Sunderland were outright taking the pee last night with some of their free kicks.

1. Player A gets the ball and tries to take the freekick 20 yards further forward (knowing the ref will tell him to go back).

2. Player A only takes the ball back 10 yards (again, knowing the ref will tell him to go back further).

3. Player A only goes back another 5 yards, but gives the ball to Player B.

4. Player B puts the ball down and pretends he's going to take it.

5. The GK then ushers Player B away, saying he will now take it.

6. GK repositions the dead ball, looks up and pretends he's looking for someone to kick it to

7. GK finally takes the free kick 10 minutes after the ref blew

The thing is, a strong ref warns them once, then books them on the second attempt and they stop it.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Thing is... as this thread has thoroughly examined and proved... Despite what sky said, we mostly used 352 in the most successful run of our modern era. We nearly broke all the records with it.

Played: 9

Won: 8

Drew: 1

Lost: 0

Scored: 14

Conceded: 3 

That's far more than stopping the rot.

It just cant be as simple as saying it doesn't work... because we have made it work in the past. One thing we know about DC is he will change things up when he sees the benefit of doing so. He did it to us when at Walsall and he changed the formations in-game in that run.

I think we will get to a stage where we use a number of formations at the start and during games. One guess may be that he is waiting for the team to gel a little more first rather than over complicating things with multiple formation changes.... something he did a bit more with a team that had been together longer last year.

I get we love wingers and attacking intent, and Im all for using them... but we cant say 352 doesn't work because it has.

What about all the other games it was used?

Let's be fair and use a full sample.

40 minutes ago, MBE said:

IC the big difference between that run and the start of the season is nobody knew how what formation we would play.The start of this season every man and his dog know we are going to play 352 so are well prepared to stop it. Last season the players were pretty much the same each week but you honestly couldn't call how we would set-up. The formation also changed during games with the same personnel so it made it very difficult for the opposition to set-up in a particular way to stop us. 

Surely they would have figured it out by game 3

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

It used to be called time wasting and frowned upon. It's now called 'game management' and applauded. Easy way to stop it - ref required to add on time for all stoppages, and an extra 30 seconds for all deliberate attempts to waste time.

Phil, I agree with what you’ve said, if we can’t do as you’ve suggested players need to be booked. Perhaps you can help me, wasn’t there a directive a couple of seasons back, where players being substituted had to get off the pitch at the nearest touch line.? Again it needs to be enforced from the very top as you see it in international games. 

Archived