onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLC R1 Port Vale v Sunderland

Fosse69

Advert

I went to Sunderland v Wigan on Saturday. 

They were really shaky first 15. They had a 19 year old midfielder filling in at LB and a 17 year old CB making his debut at CB (on loan from Man City). Wigan were too neat and tidy for them when they played it on the floor and it's an area we could look to exploit. They did get stronger as the game went on with the encouragement of 30k home fans, but we should try to exploit that inexperience.

Going forward, McGeady and Gooch were predictably their danger men with Ross Stewart looking like a real handful up front. I'm not sure how many of those three will start tomorrow night (I doubt McGeady needs three games in a week at this stage of his career) but I worry about our full backs against those tricky wingers. 

If I could pick out some weak spots - they lacked protection in front of that inexperienced backline. If Conlon/Pett are on song we may be able to exploit that. If we can get Rodney one on one with his full back we may be able to get some joy. They didn't look particularly competent from set pieces (defensively).

They have a thin squad so not sure they have the luxury of too much rotation. If they play a strong side, I think it'll be a case of working hard off the ball and then trying to play through the lines when we get the chance, pushing Conlon into those pockets between their def and mid and hoping he can pull some strings.

9 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

I went to Sunderland v Wigan on Saturday. 

They were really shaky first 15. They had a 19 year old midfielder filling in at LB and a 17 year old CB making his debut at CB (on loan from Man City). Wigan were too neat and tidy for them when they played it on the floor and it's an area we could look to exploit. They did get stronger as the game went on with the encouragement of 30k home fans, but we should try to exploit that inexperience.

Going forward, McGeady and Gooch were predictably their danger men with Ross Stewart looking like a real handful up front. I'm not sure how many of those three will start tomorrow night (I doubt McGeady needs three games in a week at this stage of his career) but I worry about our full backs against those tricky wingers. 

If I could pick out some weak spots - they lacked protection in front of that inexperienced backline. If Conlon/Pett are on song we may be able to exploit that. If we can get Rodney one on one with his full back we may be able to get some joy. They didn't look particularly competent from set pieces (defensively).

They have a thin squad so not sure they have the luxury of too much rotation. If they play a strong side, I think it'll be a case of working hard off the ball and then trying to play through the lines when we get the chance, pushing Conlon into those pockets between their def and mid and hoping he can pull some strings.

They still beat Wigan though...

Anyone else like me i know the game is a good 29hrs away but I'm.bouncing I cannot wait shout gooooaaarrrnnn Vale and sit in our holy ground again .

No idea how tickets are going for this game hope the Sunderland are bringing a fair few and it's getting a fair bit of interest from the Vale public but not bothered really I'm going and I'm ready to give the players encouragement .

LETS HOPE THEY ARE UP FOR IT and are ready give everything I am are you 

UTV 

On 08/08/2021 at 14:05, Breadwinner said:

Shift swapped out so working Mon night and having match night off .

Really looking forwards to it first game back at Vale park  seems like a eternity to me since last went to  see a LIVE proper game v someone I already see we are predicted to lose too which is not as a fan who is expecting a surprise win and a lover of Vale wants be reading .

SO my team as I believe you have to have the right players on the pitch in the first place to even remotely give Sunderland a game so here it is feel free to disagree. 

Stone 

Cass Legge Johnson Benning 

Pett Walker 

Worrall     Conlon    Rodney 

Proctor .

Out go a few in come a few a leader in legge at the back always be the first name on my team sheet since he stopped being the leader and we have relied on Clarks favourite we have lost 3-0 to Mansfield and 1-0 to Northampton (you work out who is favourite is ). a right back who will comfortable on the ball in Cass who will link with Worrrall and give us threat on the right and a left back who will give us threat on the left in Benning .

Rodney is no striker but he is someone who should be moved around in two positions on the right to test the pace of left sided defender of the mackems and on the left where last season most of his good team play was occurring if at all so swap sides every now and again with Worrall .

Proctor comes in for me Wilson I wonder why he is as had so many clubs ,Proctor to hold it up we will probably not have the majority of the ball  we need to keep it when we do have chance move up the field on the occasions we have the ball .

Big game but if the players believe they are beaten before a balls kicked then that would be a terrible thing some worrying comments coming out the club like a room where the players families can be kept away if there dads had a poor game etc that would suggest to me that they have no belief in themselves,as a player you must always strive to play well ok at times you just do not but lets not have negative talk of how good Sunderland are in the dressing room let's big Vale up and tell every player this is it this is why your a professional get out there and do your name and the club a world of good .

Looking forwards to it lets get in  that hat  and that means we have played superbly and we have believed in ourselves .

UTV 

Enjoy the game.... thats a team pretty close to the one I would pick to be honest.

Looking forward to watching competitive live football at Vale Park again tomorrow.

I really don't like 352 but I think we need to run with it again to get it right. I'm hoping to see the personnel changed to get all the players a bit of game time during the 1st week .After the kicking Rodders received Sat there is no way I would start him.

I would go -:

Stone

Cass Legge Johnson

Garrity   Walker Pett   Benning

Conlon

Wilson Proctor

21 players all in the reckoning for tonight a few changes he hinted at .

So first eleven of the season sat .

Covalan Smith Martin Johnson Worrall Jones Pett Walker Conlon Rodney Wilson .

So other ten Stone Legge Cass Proctor Benning Hurst Garrity 

Gibbons and Taylor Amoo injured. 

Is that the 21 or have I missed someone out ?.

Is Bailey classed in the 21 

Archived