Jump to content

radio joke


geoff1
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 21/08/2021 at 17:25, philmpv said:

Does anybody else believe that not one Vale fan has called in by 5.25, as has just been claimed?

I know that isn't true as a couple of years ago I rang in and was told I would get a call back. Meanwhile they were saying 'not one Vale has rung in'. And no , they didn't ring me and I've never bothered since.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't live local and so I don't really know who does what. But the editor controlling commentary who went away from the kick off at Harrogate last season for some stupid commentary elsewhere ruined an historic moment for me with the first female referee. All credibility lost. 

But coming back to games at Vale Park, the commentary position is about the worst place to be in the stadium. They are faced with driving a car with steamed up windows at night on an unlit road. Pretty hopeless situation, and of course the club are partly to blame for that, maybe wholly to blame.

Edited by Warren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Warren said:

I don't live local and so I don't really know who does what. But the editor controlling commentary who went away from the kick off at Harrogate last season for some stupid commentary elsewhere ruined an historic moment for me with the first female referee. All credibility lost. 

But coming back to games at Vale Park, the commentary position is about the worst place to be in the stadium. They are faced with driving a car with steamed up windows at night on an unlit road. Pretty hopeless situation, and of course the club are partly to blame for that, maybe wholly to blame.

I wouldn't have said that as I sit two rows in front. I don't have a problem with seeing the action and don't know why they should. As far as I know they're not complaining?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Warren said:

But coming back to games at Vale Park, the commentary position is about the worst place to be in the stadium. They are faced with driving a car with steamed up windows at night on an unlit road. Pretty hopeless situation, and of course the club are partly to blame for that, maybe wholly to blame.

Absolutely agree it's a ridiculous location. I seem to recall it's basically cost-cutting by a previous board. The obvious place would be up near the Presidents seating, in a secure area where they won't have fans walking in front of them and where they can get a clearer view of the action from higher up. I guess the problem is that there's a lot of equipment put in that block for the journalists so it will be complex and possibly pricey to relocate it all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, robf said:

Absolutely agree it's a ridiculous location. I seem to recall it's basically cost-cutting by a previous board. The obvious place would be up near the Presidents seating, in a secure area where they won't have fans walking in front of them and where they can get a clearer view of the action from higher up. I guess the problem is that there's a lot of equipment put in that block for the journalists so it will be complex and possibly pricey to relocate it all. 

As far as I know Rob, they're not asking for it and I don't think it's a problem with the view as much as with the commentators - they do have a tendency to drift off into flights of fancy when (in their view) there's not much going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me @heatwave it's about professionalism and perception as well though. We've seen the efforts under the owners to reinvigorate the club through non-tangible projects - things like the nostalgic images on the club shop, the painting of the stand metalwork etc. None of those bring in any extra money but they all help create the impression of a professional, well run club with pride in itself.

I think it has to be a similar approach with the media. We all hope Vale will be a success and if they are they will come to the attention of the national media. What are they going to think about being plonked at the back of a home stand among the fans. What if... heaven forbid... one of the fans ever decides to confront them because (stewards apart) there's next to no segregation.

I think a professional club needs a professional, self-contained media area, away from the fans and with modern equipment and good sightlines. We want the national media to be welcomed, to notice how well the club is run and to tell people about it.

Sorting it out is NOT going to bring any more money in, it is an additional expense and the priority should always be success on the pitch first, but I do think that in the long-term relocating that press area should be something that's done. It's a small thing in the grand scheme of things but all these little things do have a tendency to add up to give you an overall impression of a football club.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my fantasy. We are playing Man United in the third round of the FA Cup. It's the 75th minute and we score a break away goal. Ole responds to being behind - and likely getting sacked next day - by bringing on Ronaldo. And Radio Joke, unable to see the game and waffling on about Spurs in the 1980's miss it. But we hang on and win 1-0 anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 17/09/2021 at 13:11, robf said:

For me @heatwave it's about professionalism and perception as well though. We've seen the efforts under the owners to reinvigorate the club through non-tangible projects - things like the nostalgic images on the club shop, the painting of the stand metalwork etc. None of those bring in any extra money but they all help create the impression of a professional, well run club with pride in itself.

I think it has to be a similar approach with the media. We all hope Vale will be a success and if they are they will come to the attention of the national media. What are they going to think about being plonked at the back of a home stand among the fans. What if... heaven forbid... one of the fans ever decides to confront them because (stewards apart) there's next to no segregation.

I think a professional club needs a professional, self-contained media area, away from the fans and with modern equipment and good sightlines. We want the national media to be welcomed, to notice how well the club is run and to tell people about it.

Sorting it out is NOT going to bring any more money in, it is an additional expense and the priority should always be success on the pitch first, but I do think that in the long-term relocating that press area should be something that's done. It's a small thing in the grand scheme of things but all these little things do have a tendency to add up to give you an overall impression of a football club.

Can`t we build them a new garden shed like they used to have on the Hamil side of the Lorne Street?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

Can`t we build them a new garden shed like they used to have on the Hamil side of the Lorne Street?

 

Just about visible on this pic. It was at least a higher up view.

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Rob, loved that pic. Great ground and brings back some good memories. Care free life, teenage dreams, so hard to beat.

@Playa Amodores my pleasure. If you want to wallow in nostalgia why not go to this section - 

There are articles on the development of each of the stands with lots of vintage images (the "Pictorial history of..." articles)

Or if you just want photos check out this article for a number of past and present images of the stadium - 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Playa Amodores my pleasure. If you want to wallow in nostalgia why not go to this section - 
ovf-870.jpg WWW.ONEVALEFAN.CO.UK There are articles on the development of each of the stands with lots of vintage images (the "Pictorial history of..." articles)
Or if you just want photos check out this article for a number of past and present images of the stadium - 
Railway.jpg WWW.ONEVALEFAN.CO.UK  
 
At last a view of the railings that used to divide the railway paddock into an away section, and was carried through into the seated stand. " Not many people know that" as Eric used to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant old photos those. I started my Vale life standing in the open Hamil Road stand and recall me, a few others and a dog regularly standing there in all weathers!

I graduated to the Lorne Street paddock(Hamil side) and again continued my love of Vale in all weathers there.

Eventually I ventured to the Railway stand (centre section), mainly for some relief from the usual Burslem rain and I recall the dire bogs there that finally saw me crossing back to Lorne street, where I now enjoy overhead roofing, decent bogs, refreshments and a banter with away dignitaries up above in the boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF

    Ale & Vale

    Ale and the Vale podcast

    Barewall

    Barewall Gallery

    Paine Proffitt

    Paine Proffitt

    Alex Steventon Photography

    Alex Steventon Photography

    Action Freeze

    Action Freeze images




×
×
  • Create New...