Defining Racism

Regal Beagle

13 hours ago, toyahw said:

How would people feel if their daughter married a bloke of Indian heritage? Never thought anything  of it. Nice bloke.  Nice family. Colourful wedding. All my aging relatives there well into it. We had a great time. I really find it hard to understand why anyone gives a

It wouldn't bother me in the least. I went to an Indian wedding a few years back and the music and food were amazing.

They know how to have a good time and that's a fact.

33 minutes ago, jimbo57 said:

So you've never heard of the Rochdale, Telford, Bradford etc etc grooming gangs and you must have missed the Manchester etc bombings?

Strange, especially as Stoke on Trent was home to many who were involved.

You won't hear much about these types of incidents on the mainstream media for some reason?

7 hours ago, For Us All said:

Double standards as witnessed in the cricket scandal?

Because one party discriminated others in the past does not excuse him being discriminated against. There are no excuses and all racism should be held to account. It's shocking how people have tried to condone racism in this cricket scandal just because the victim doesn't have an innocent past. 

17 hours ago, toyahw said:

How would people feel if their daughter married a bloke of Indian heritage? Never thought anything  of it. Nice bloke.  Nice family. Colourful wedding. All my aging relatives there well into it. We had a great time. I really find it hard to understand why anyone gives a

The majority of people wouldn't be bothered. The increase in the number of interracial marriages in the USA and likely in the west over the last 50-60 years is an absolute indication there is less racism in the USA/west now than there was back then.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2017/05/18/1-trends-and-patterns-in-intermarriage/

400px-Public_opinion_of_interracial_marriage_in_the_United_States.png

42 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

The majority of people wouldn't be bothered.

That's good. I was a bit surprised some of my elderly relatives who live in  all white places didn't have a problem, or a comment or two. But nah. All good. Found it quite exciting really. Not all old white people are racist!

There is a bit of a problem with hypersensitive perceived racism where none exists.  This drives my Surinamese mate mad. He's in the "the racism industry is doing me no favours camp". Makes him feel odd when in fact he's just an Amsterdammer and would be treated as such, above issues of colour.

I am in no way saying there is not an issue. Just that it is in my experience (which I admit is not typical) it is not  so ingrained as some make out.

Edited by toyahw

1 hour ago, ginge said:

Because one party discriminated others in the past does not excuse him being discriminated against. There are no excuses and all racism should be held to account. It's shocking how people have tried to condone racism in this cricket scandal just because the victim doesn't have an innocent past. 

But all racism isn't held to account is it when one party gets punished and the other doesn't.

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

But all racism isn't held to account is it when one party gets punished and the other doesn't.

I agree all parties should be punished. However first and foremost it's about recognising it and admitting the mistake. One party has admitted their past mistakes and apologised. The other party have not and said the racism was friendly banter. 

3 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

The majority of people wouldn't be bothered. The increase in the number of interracial marriages in the USA and likely in the west over the last 50-60 years is an absolute indication there is less racism in the USA/west now than there was back then.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2017/05/18/1-trends-and-patterns-in-intermarriage/

400px-Public_opinion_of_interracial_marriage_in_the_United_States.png

Surely there are other factors in play here. The end of segregation for one? 

People who weren't racist would have been shunned for marrying a different race 60 years ago in America. Not wanting to be shunned doesn't make someone a racist. 

I thought as a scientist you wouldn't say its an absolute indication when so many other factors effect it rather than just a blanket people are less racist now. 

4 hours ago, WV said:

Surely there are other factors in play here. The end of segregation for one? 

People who weren't racist would have been shunned for marrying a different race 60 years ago in America. Not wanting to be shunned doesn't make someone a racist. 

I thought as a scientist you wouldn't say its an absolute indication when so many other factors effect it rather than just a blanket people are less racist now. 

WV, I'm not saying it is the only indication but it is a tangible indication, perhaps tangible would have been a better word.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, For Us All said:

If you don't see the double standards we'd better leave it at that.It seems some people are beyond reproach?

One side recognised the discrimination and apologised. The other side didn't. Do you think the cricket case is a case of friendly banter? Or should now be called out?