Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

I think for the three CB's to work properly at least one of them needs to be confident in bringing the ball out from the back which is why I would give some serious consideration to finding a way to slot Cass in there. He seems to be comfortable in doing that.

Good to see that DC in his press conference today has recognised Worrall needs to be playing higher up the pitch. Hopefully that correction can be made soon enough.

• Like 1

I see making Covalan a scape goat already Saturday he  did the wrong thing and he obviously didn't do what he wanted but I've seen enough of him to say he will be a very good keeper for Vale .

Let's not get into slagging players off already he will come good as they all will .

UTV 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

My opinion from what I saw is that it seemed like neither of the back 5 felt comfortable playing in that formation. Now this could be to do with personnel / tactics or it could easily be put down to the players barely playing with each other. 

Johnson looked like a fish out of water and was miles off the game. They got a lot of joy from his side. It’s his first game though so I won’t be too critical. Smith isn’t suited to playing in a 3 because he gets dragged into positions he isn’t comfortable with. Also, in a back 3 you need the centre halves to start attacks and play the ball out, Smith clearly isn’t that type of player. I actually thought Martin was okay, if not spectacular, however as the middle centre half he probably had the easiest job. As for the two wing backs, both didn’t know whether to stick or twist and actually ended up doing neither. I think Benning and Gibbons will be far better suited to playing as wing backs.

I think this is probably the fact that they are gelling as a unit.

All three of the centre halves played in a 3 at the back system last year.

2 of them played it all year and one of them played it in a 10 game unbeaten run where we won 8 games.

• Like 1

It looks like 3 5 2 or 3 4 3 this season anyway! I can't see us going to flat back 4 any time soon. The 3 up front makes sense but I wouldn't want to split up that midfield from Saturday either! 

From memory I though DC played 4-3-3 during the 8 game winning streak last season but played a mixture of systems in the 6 game without a win streak before that. The players are different now but if true that tells you something although it is very early days.

Also I wonder where their forward Kamamba was on the matrix 'cause he looked a handful although Nathan Smith did very well against him.

2 hours ago, The French Connection said:

Just spotted this, apologies if it's already been spotted.  Covolan was targeted by Northampton:

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-targeted-port-vale-goalkeeper-covolan-prior-to-red-card-3338799

All the more reason for him to curb that in the future. Teams will quickly cotton on to a players weakness even at this level. 

On 09/08/2021 at 05:49, dantheman said:

Problem still remains though. Should have just put his foot through it then there is no debate. 

Yes - but he's a keeper! Similar things have happened to Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal's first-choice keepers...and Man Ure have had their share of dodgy keepers in the past. It's a shame but the old cliche about keepers only making one mistake but costing the game holds true - I hope he realises not every opposition player plays fair, and that he needs to make better decisions.

Interesting - I read, recently, that VAR may be re-jigged this time, more in favour of the attackers in offside decisions...but there may be a trade-off whereby penalties are not going to be given for a player cheating and diving at the slightest touch. That is long overdue - hope it happens! 

10 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Yes - but he's a keeper! Similar things have happened to Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal's first-choice keepers...and Man Ure have had their share of dodgy keepers in the past. It's a shame but the old cliche about keepers only making one mistake but costing the game holds true - I hope he realises not every opposition player plays fair, and that he needs to make better decisions.

Interesting - I read, recently, that VAR may be re-jigged this time, more in favour of the attackers in offside decisions...but there may be a trade-off whereby penalties are not going to be given for a player cheating and diving at the slightest touch. That is long overdue - hope it happens! 

That’s sterling knackered then