Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

25 minutes ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, Boslem said:
Can’t help but thinking Legge would have gobbled up those long throws. When he doesn’t play you realise how much of a monster he is in the air compared to our current defenders.
Think I agree with you, get the lad back inemoji1.png

This is just the same as when any other player doesn't play. Suddenly, they become world beaters. Then they get back in the side. And normal service is resumed. Legge, Brown, Pope. Even Robinson would apparently have scored yesterday. Get a grip. There's a reason why we've struggled in all but 1 season with Legge.

That was mostly in a 2, which I agree, he isn’t mobile enough for. However, in a 3 he is a different animal. I reckon his win percentage is pretty high in a 3. 

That was mostly in a 2, which I agree, he isn’t mobile enough for. However, in a 3 he is a different animal. I reckon his win percentage is pretty high in a 3. 
Possibly, but he's another year older, and is only going to decline. When a centre back has to play in a 3, doesn't that worry people? That he needs 2 others alongside him to make up for his deficiencies? Throw away the comfort blanket of past good memories which always neglect to include the bad. We've had 1 competitive game with our new younger more mobile defence. Let it gel and don't revert to what we know doesn't work in the long run after 1 bloody game

Posted (edited)

I think everyone agrees Wozzer can do a job at RWB, but it is not his best position.

The bloke looked shattered at the end of the game.  Playing RWB is hard enough, but having to jog over into LWB position when Jones takes throws from the right?

Ever likely the bloke was buggered for the last ten.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 2

Can't believe we got people already wanting Legge back in the side, he's 36 and we have moved on, yes he will do a job if needs be with injuries and suspensions but we have to look to the future.  For me we have 3 decent centre backs in Martin, Johnson and Smith, good potential in Cass and Legge is 5th choice now.  I think we have far more worries than the defence and that is a lack of creativity, I hope I am wrong and very early but don't see this side creating enough.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Can't believe we got people already wanting Legge back in the side, he's 36 and we have moved on, yes he will do a job if needs be with injuries and suspensions but we have to look to the future.  For me we have 3 decent centre backs in Martin, Johnson and Smith, good potential in Cass and Legge is 5th choice now.  I think we have far more worries than the defence and that is a lack of creativity, I hope I am wrong and very early but don't see this side creating enough.

He can head a ball out, that is why. Which would have come in handy Sat.

3 decent centre backs in Martin, Johnson and Smith,

Johnson was <not impressive>, Martin has zero presence, and Smithy only plays well in a good defence.

Do you watch the games?

We need a leader in there. A big man. A shouter. And he's the only one we have got that fills the bill. Even if he is a total .......  on twitter.

I'd have kept Brizzers myself to do that job. 

Edited by toyahw
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jeffers said:

He is still our most dominant in the air but sadly his lack of pace gets him caught out. None of the new recruits can touch his heading ability or physical presence.

I agree that Leon is a very commanding figure on the pitch, and does allow others to flourish as well.

However, his pace, and also distribution, are his limitations, and they are becoming more noticeable over time.

I guess it's all part and parcel of players at this level.

9 hours ago, valefan79 said:

Crazy. I can’t believe people would write a player off for what is essentially just a number.  I couldn’t care less how old Legge is, or any other player for that matter, it’s what they can bring to the team.  You only have to look at the likes of Hoolahsn and Ellison, to name but two, to see that.  Naturally older players are in decline physically but they tend to have more nous and their reading of the game is a bit better.  Swings and roundabouts.

No doubting Legge is a big presence in there, but, as Northampton had a bit of pace going forward, Clarke maybe thought on balance that Martin and Johnson were better options.  I wasn’t impressed with either of those two in the game, they could, however, turn out to be great.

What I will say is that Leon will definitely play a part this season, and if we continue to struggle on set pieces that’ll be sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, valefan79 said:

I still think Leon has something to offer but doubtful in a back 3. Although I think a back 3 was a mistake anyway and Johnson looked a bit overwhelmed. A back 4 with Leon looks much better. Based on Sat, I felt we lacked width with a 5 man midfield. Although equally playing Worrall where he was probably was a major reason for that. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Any reasonable response welcomed 

You are quite correct, Cavalier.  We have known all pre-season that we are probably going to find goals hard to come by. Proven players who score and create goals cost a fortune. We have to consider markets where the players are less well known and take a gamble.  That is why I worry whether Wilson is going to pan out; he hasn't ever been under the radar.

I assume DC & DF had their targets lined up and knew what they were/are doing.

I don't, by the way, but you have to have hope and give them the benefit of the doubt, at present.  When all said and done, we are only 1 game into the season and a lot can happen.

Edited by Ron C
Get the tense right!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

When did we last win or even score btw?

Port Vale 2-1 Bradford 3rd game from the end of last season.

It was our 8th win and a set of 10 games where we went unbeaten

All this is available on google for future reference... unless you were just trying to make a passive aggressive point. I'm sure you weren't.

• Haha 2

For those already moaning about 'where are the goals going to come from', give your heads a wobble and chill out. We scored 57 league goals last season. We still have the players in the squad responsible for 35 of those. We've added undoubted better quality players than those released who barely contributed to that tally, viz Wilson, Proctor, Pett and Walker, Jones and Benning, who will all contribute, both in assists and/or goals. Our defensive additions will also lead to us conceding fewer. Give it time and stop stressing

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, philmpv said:

For those already moaning about 'where are the goals going to come from', give your heads a wobble and chill out. We scored 57 league goals last season. We still have the players in the squad responsible for 35 of those. We've added undoubted better quality players than those released who barely contributed to that tally, viz Wilson, Proctor, Pett and Walker, Jones and Benning, who will all contribute, both in assists and/or goals. Our defensive additions will also lead to us conceding fewer. Give it time and stop stressing

Good point on the 35 of 57 goal players still being here. Must admit I’d sort of forgotten that. 

My opinion from what I saw is that it seemed like neither of the back 5 felt comfortable playing in that formation. Now this could be to do with personnel / tactics or it could easily be put down to the players barely playing with each other. 

Johnson looked like a fish out of water and was miles off the game. They got a lot of joy from his side. It’s his first game though so I won’t be too critical. Smith isn’t suited to playing in a 3 because he gets dragged into positions he isn’t comfortable with. Also, in a back 3 you need the centre halves to start attacks and play the ball out, Smith clearly isn’t that type of player. I actually thought Martin was okay, if not spectacular, however as the middle centre half he probably had the easiest job. As for the two wing backs, both didn’t know whether to stick or twist and actually ended up doing neither. I think Benning and Gibbons will be far better suited to playing as wing backs.

• Like 3