Jump to content

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale


Fosse69

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, valefan79 said:

Can't believe we got people already wanting Legge back in the side, he's 36 and we have moved on, yes he will do a job if needs be with injuries and suspensions but we have to look to the future.  For me we have 3 decent centre backs in Martin, Johnson and Smith, good potential in Cass and Legge is 5th choice now.  I think we have far more worries than the defence and that is a lack of creativity, I hope I am wrong and very early but don't see this side creating enough.

I still think Leon has something to offer but doubtful in a back 3. Although I think a back 3 was a mistake anyway and Johnson looked a bit overwhelmed. A back 4 with Leon looks much better. Based on Sat, I felt we lacked width with a 5 man midfield. Although equally playing Worrall where he was probably was a major reason for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Any reasonable response welcomed 

You are quite correct, Cavalier.  We have known all pre-season that we are probably going to find goals hard to come by. Proven players who score and create goals cost a fortune. We have to consider markets where the players are less well known and take a gamble.  That is why I worry whether Wilson is going to pan out; he hasn't ever been under the radar.

I assume DC & DF had their targets lined up and knew what they were/are doing.

I don't, by the way, but you have to have hope and give them the benefit of the doubt, at present.  When all said and done, we are only 1 game into the season and a lot can happen.

Edited by Ron C
Get the tense right!
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

When did we last win or even score btw?

Port Vale 2-1 Bradford 3rd game from the end of last season.

It was our 8th win and a set of 10 games where we went unbeaten

All this is available on google for future reference... unless you were just trying to make a passive aggressive point. I'm sure you weren't.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those already moaning about 'where are the goals going to come from', give your heads a wobble and chill out. We scored 57 league goals last season. We still have the players in the squad responsible for 35 of those. We've added undoubted better quality players than those released who barely contributed to that tally, viz Wilson, Proctor, Pett and Walker, Jones and Benning, who will all contribute, both in assists and/or goals. Our defensive additions will also lead to us conceding fewer. Give it time and stop stressing

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, philmpv said:

For those already moaning about 'where are the goals going to come from', give your heads a wobble and chill out. We scored 57 league goals last season. We still have the players in the squad responsible for 35 of those. We've added undoubted better quality players than those released who barely contributed to that tally, viz Wilson, Proctor, Pett and Walker, Jones and Benning, who will all contribute, both in assists and/or goals. Our defensive additions will also lead to us conceding fewer. Give it time and stop stressing

Good point on the 35 of 57 goal players still being here. Must admit I’d sort of forgotten that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion from what I saw is that it seemed like neither of the back 5 felt comfortable playing in that formation. Now this could be to do with personnel / tactics or it could easily be put down to the players barely playing with each other. 

Johnson looked like a fish out of water and was miles off the game. They got a lot of joy from his side. It’s his first game though so I won’t be too critical. Smith isn’t suited to playing in a 3 because he gets dragged into positions he isn’t comfortable with. Also, in a back 3 you need the centre halves to start attacks and play the ball out, Smith clearly isn’t that type of player. I actually thought Martin was okay, if not spectacular, however as the middle centre half he probably had the easiest job. As for the two wing backs, both didn’t know whether to stick or twist and actually ended up doing neither. I think Benning and Gibbons will be far better suited to playing as wing backs.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think for the three CB's to work properly at least one of them needs to be confident in bringing the ball out from the back which is why I would give some serious consideration to finding a way to slot Cass in there. He seems to be comfortable in doing that.

Good to see that DC in his press conference today has recognised Worrall needs to be playing higher up the pitch. Hopefully that correction can be made soon enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see making Covalan a scape goat already Saturday he  did the wrong thing and he obviously didn't do what he wanted but I've seen enough of him to say he will be a very good keeper for Vale .

Let's not get into slagging players off already he will come good as they all will .

UTV 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

My opinion from what I saw is that it seemed like neither of the back 5 felt comfortable playing in that formation. Now this could be to do with personnel / tactics or it could easily be put down to the players barely playing with each other. 

Johnson looked like a fish out of water and was miles off the game. They got a lot of joy from his side. It’s his first game though so I won’t be too critical. Smith isn’t suited to playing in a 3 because he gets dragged into positions he isn’t comfortable with. Also, in a back 3 you need the centre halves to start attacks and play the ball out, Smith clearly isn’t that type of player. I actually thought Martin was okay, if not spectacular, however as the middle centre half he probably had the easiest job. As for the two wing backs, both didn’t know whether to stick or twist and actually ended up doing neither. I think Benning and Gibbons will be far better suited to playing as wing backs.

I think this is probably the fact that they are gelling as a unit.

All three of the centre halves played in a 3 at the back system last year.

2 of them played it all year and one of them played it in a 10 game unbeaten run where we won 8 games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like 3 5 2 or 3 4 3 this season anyway! I can't see us going to flat back 4 any time soon. The 3 up front makes sense but I wouldn't want to split up that midfield from Saturday either! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From memory I though DC played 4-3-3 during the 8 game winning streak last season but played a mixture of systems in the 6 game without a win streak before that. The players are different now but if true that tells you something although it is very early days.

Also I wonder where their forward Kamamba was on the matrix 'cause he looked a handful although Nathan Smith did very well against him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The French Connection said:

Just spotted this, apologies if it's already been spotted.  Covolan was targeted by Northampton:

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-targeted-port-vale-goalkeeper-covolan-prior-to-red-card-3338799

All the more reason for him to curb that in the future. Teams will quickly cotton on to a players weakness even at this level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 09/08/2021 at 05:49, dantheman said:

Problem still remains though. Should have just put his foot through it then there is no debate. 

Yes - but he's a keeper! Similar things have happened to Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal's first-choice keepers...and Man Ure have had their share of dodgy keepers in the past. It's a shame but the old cliche about keepers only making one mistake but costing the game holds true - I hope he realises not every opposition player plays fair, and that he needs to make better decisions.

Interesting - I read, recently, that VAR may be re-jigged this time, more in favour of the attackers in offside decisions...but there may be a trade-off whereby penalties are not going to be given for a player cheating and diving at the slightest touch. That is long overdue - hope it happens! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Yes - but he's a keeper! Similar things have happened to Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal's first-choice keepers...and Man Ure have had their share of dodgy keepers in the past. It's a shame but the old cliche about keepers only making one mistake but costing the game holds true - I hope he realises not every opposition player plays fair, and that he needs to make better decisions.

Interesting - I read, recently, that VAR may be re-jigged this time, more in favour of the attackers in offside decisions...but there may be a trade-off whereby penalties are not going to be given for a player cheating and diving at the slightest touch. That is long overdue - hope it happens! 

That’s sterling knackered then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...