Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

They were nothing special whatsoever, Vale just bottled it. 

Hartlepool fans right about Johnson in a back 3. 

Worrall completely nullified at RWB. Soon Gibbons is back the better. 

I was delighted to sign a mentalist in goal. Not that kind of mentalist though. Puddled. 

Wilson poor before missing an open goal sitter and worse after as he’d clearly lost his head. 

Heard a few “Clarke out by September” comments, beyond daft. 7 debuts today, it’ll take a bit of time to come together. 

Weak referee easily led by modern game management. Amazing how every Vale challenge caused a head injury isn’t it? 

<ovf censored> ground no fans, sick of this tinpot league.

Lets hope we dont " bottle it " too many times hey.

• Like 1

Nervy, lack of composure and not playing to our strengths at all what so ever. Even with the clear out, I saw absolutely nothing different today!!
And for the love of God sort out some vaque kind of ball retention!!!!
Early days, a frustrating and disappointing start. Let's see what happens over the next few games before all going mental
UTV

7 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Lets hope we dont " bottle it " too many times hey.

We saw it too many times in the first half of last season. Playing with no confidence or flair, goal down and that’s it. 

Poor goal to concede. Stupid red card and a positionally restrained Worrall killed the game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Doha said:

They were nothing special whatsoever, Vale just bottled it. 

Hartlepool fans right about Johnson in a back 3. 

Worrall completely nullified at RWB. Soon Gibbons is back the better. 

I was delighted to sign a mentalist in goal. Not that kind of mentalist though. Puddled. 

Wilson poor before missing an open goal sitter and worse after as he’d clearly lost his head. 

Heard a few “Clarke out by September” comments, beyond daft. 7 debuts today, it’ll take a bit of time to come together. 

Weak referee easily led by modern game management. Amazing how every Vale challenge caused a head injury isn’t it? 

<ovf censored> ground no fans, sick of this tinpot league.

Worrall was hardly in the game today. TBH I’m not sure that position would get the best out of Gibbo either, because you’re asking a right back to play like a winger and do what worrall does as a winger. Equally when the ball goes backwards you’ve got worrall having to play as a right back which isn’t natural to him.  But I think we get the best out of those 2 as a pairing rather than one of them being on their own and being asked to play high up the pitch. 

Until they scored we were on top without creating much and I thought we were keeping the ball well and working the channels. But once they scored we went flat. It was clear the long throw was causing us issues, that’s where we missed Legge to attack the ball in those situations. The Wilson miss is a turning point for us, he should have scored and that gets us back in the game. Jones and Johnson played like strangers and i thought the left hand side was a problem for us.

Early days though and nothing to get too carried away over yet.  

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Rodney played quite well and worked hard and … and… if you can’t say something positive don’t say anything…..

…….

……

What did he do? Can’t recall him doing anything well. It’s a forum for comment, whole point is to say something. He wasn’t good today. 

I don't like 3-5-2. It becomes too defensive and worrall is not a wing back.  We need to be playing it through Pett and Conlon.  I don't like eccentric goalkeepers, they'll cost you too many points over a season. We lack pace or a player with the x factor.

Having said that, we haven't had that many games in preseason to gel and played away against a team that have just come down from the league above and before we had a man sent off a draw would have been fair. 

I think we'll struggle for the first 10 games or so and then steadily improve but I expect we'll grind out 1-0 wins rather than being free flowing. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Rubbish start. 

Part of me can’t help but think the set-up is over-complicating things. Loaded up on defensive-minded players and it will be a season in ‘binary’ results.

Let’s not forget these have got 11 new players as well so the whole ‘taking time to gel’ doesn’t really work. 

29 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

What’s over complicated about 532 with wingbacks?

I mean the whole ‘me and Flitters have done all this analysis in a darkened room with stats galore’ nonsense. It’s L2 for Christ’s sake. I don’t need a spreadsheet to tell me Worrall is Vale’s most creative player so is totally wasted at RWB. 

• Like 9

Very disappointing.
Is Amoo injured or just not rated by Clarke?
We have precious few players who can produce that moment of magic and in my opinion he is one.

The only way we could really use him in this daft system is up front.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

What did he do? Can’t recall him doing anything well. It’s a forum for comment, whole point is to say something.

He worked really hard and setup the Wilson miss.The rest of the time he was kicked from pillar to post. 

Edited by MBE
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

We saw it too many times in the first half of last season. Playing with no confidence or flair, goal down and that’s it. 

Poor goal to concede. Stupid red card and a positionally restrained Worrall killed the game.

Not sure about Gibbons, full back and Worrall wide right.

Clarke has signed what people on here , many people on here, are calling the ' best midfield three in the league ' Walker, Pett , Conlon. No room for Gibbons and Worrall in their usual roles and even if we did play this way then the front two would need to score 30 plus between them.

We have a big squad, full of options but we need a balanced first 11 for the majority of games to do well this season. Dont see where many of the new signings will fit in. I would be happier with seeing a good , well balanced first 11. 

Yes lets wait for another striker and a left winger to join us but then where do they play and who drops out. 23 players, all capable of starting the game but do we have a balanced team ?

D C needs to earn his money from now on. He will not change players and systems after one game, that i am sure. We need to bounce back, SOON

34 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

On a lighter note - from the Stokinel:

Full Time

Northampton 0-1 Vale 

Reaction on the way

I've long suspected the Sentinel watches a different game to the fans. Now we have hard evidence. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1