onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

10 hours ago, jeffers said:

He is still our most dominant in the air but sadly his lack of pace gets him caught out. None of the new recruits can touch his heading ability or physical presence.

I agree that Leon is a very commanding figure on the pitch, and does allow others to flourish as well.

However, his pace, and also distribution, are his limitations, and they are becoming more noticeable over time.

I guess it's all part and parcel of players at this level.

9 hours ago, valefan79 said:

Can't believe we got people already wanting Legge back in the side, he's 36 and we have moved on, yes he will do a job if needs be with injuries and suspensions but we have to look to the future.  For me we have 3 decent centre backs in Martin, Johnson and Smith, good potential in Cass and Legge is 5th choice now.  I think we have far more worries than the defence and that is a lack of creativity, I hope I am wrong and very early but don't see this side creating enough.

Crazy. I can’t believe people would write a player off for what is essentially just a number.  I couldn’t care less how old Legge is, or any other player for that matter, it’s what they can bring to the team.  You only have to look at the likes of Hoolahsn and Ellison, to name but two, to see that.  Naturally older players are in decline physically but they tend to have more nous and their reading of the game is a bit better.  Swings and roundabouts.

No doubting Legge is a big presence in there, but, as Northampton had a bit of pace going forward, Clarke maybe thought on balance that Martin and Johnson were better options.  I wasn’t impressed with either of those two in the game, they could, however, turn out to be great.

What I will say is that Leon will definitely play a part this season, and if we continue to struggle on set pieces that’ll be sooner rather than later.

11 hours ago, valefan79 said:

Can't believe we got people already wanting Legge back in the side, he's 36 and we have moved on, yes he will do a job if needs be with injuries and suspensions but we have to look to the future.  For me we have 3 decent centre backs in Martin, Johnson and Smith, good potential in Cass and Legge is 5th choice now.  I think we have far more worries than the defence and that is a lack of creativity, I hope I am wrong and very early but don't see this side creating enough.

I still think Leon has something to offer but doubtful in a back 3. Although I think a back 3 was a mistake anyway and Johnson looked a bit overwhelmed. A back 4 with Leon looks much better. Based on Sat, I felt we lacked width with a 5 man midfield. Although equally playing Worrall where he was probably was a major reason for that. 

35 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Any reasonable response welcomed 

You are quite correct, Cavalier.  We have known all pre-season that we are probably going to find goals hard to come by. Proven players who score and create goals cost a fortune. We have to consider markets where the players are less well known and take a gamble.  That is why I worry whether Wilson is going to pan out; he hasn't ever been under the radar.

I assume DC & DF had their targets lined up and knew what they were/are doing.

I don't, by the way, but you have to have hope and give them the benefit of the doubt, at present.  When all said and done, we are only 1 game into the season and a lot can happen.

3 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

When did we last win or even score btw?

Port Vale 2-1 Bradford 3rd game from the end of last season.

It was our 8th win and a set of 10 games where we went unbeaten

All this is available on google for future reference... unless you were just trying to make a passive aggressive point. I'm sure you weren't.

For those already moaning about 'where are the goals going to come from', give your heads a wobble and chill out. We scored 57 league goals last season. We still have the players in the squad responsible for 35 of those. We've added undoubted better quality players than those released who barely contributed to that tally, viz Wilson, Proctor, Pett and Walker, Jones and Benning, who will all contribute, both in assists and/or goals. Our defensive additions will also lead to us conceding fewer. Give it time and stop stressing

11 minutes ago, philmpv said:

For those already moaning about 'where are the goals going to come from', give your heads a wobble and chill out. We scored 57 league goals last season. We still have the players in the squad responsible for 35 of those. We've added undoubted better quality players than those released who barely contributed to that tally, viz Wilson, Proctor, Pett and Walker, Jones and Benning, who will all contribute, both in assists and/or goals. Our defensive additions will also lead to us conceding fewer. Give it time and stop stressing

Good point on the 35 of 57 goal players still being here. Must admit I’d sort of forgotten that. 

My opinion from what I saw is that it seemed like neither of the back 5 felt comfortable playing in that formation. Now this could be to do with personnel / tactics or it could easily be put down to the players barely playing with each other. 

Johnson looked like a fish out of water and was miles off the game. They got a lot of joy from his side. It’s his first game though so I won’t be too critical. Smith isn’t suited to playing in a 3 because he gets dragged into positions he isn’t comfortable with. Also, in a back 3 you need the centre halves to start attacks and play the ball out, Smith clearly isn’t that type of player. I actually thought Martin was okay, if not spectacular, however as the middle centre half he probably had the easiest job. As for the two wing backs, both didn’t know whether to stick or twist and actually ended up doing neither. I think Benning and Gibbons will be far better suited to playing as wing backs.

I think for the three CB's to work properly at least one of them needs to be confident in bringing the ball out from the back which is why I would give some serious consideration to finding a way to slot Cass in there. He seems to be comfortable in doing that.

Good to see that DC in his press conference today has recognised Worrall needs to be playing higher up the pitch. Hopefully that correction can be made soon enough.

I see making Covalan a scape goat already Saturday he  did the wrong thing and he obviously didn't do what he wanted but I've seen enough of him to say he will be a very good keeper for Vale .

Let's not get into slagging players off already he will come good as they all will .

UTV 

Archived