onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

6 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

The reason I said the “writing was on the wall” is because to me it’s almost an admission that the team wasn’t ready and it’s getting the excuses in early, that’s the concern. I HATE harping on to the past, but can you imagine Micky Adams coming out with something like that? Or even Askey?

No. I can’t. I thought it was very odd. You want a team ready for the season, not half way through. 

Advert

Just now, philmpv said:
2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:
But the problem then is where does Gibbo play when he's fit, one of Vale's most effective players.
Much better to have Gibbo and Worrall playing down the right hand side as they form such an effective partnership.

They would do in a 343. Gibbons as RWB and Worrall as one of the advanced 3

That's a possibility but it still leaves the space behind the midfield and perhaps the midfield spread out across the field a little more compared to when there's 5 players in there. I'm just not a fan of 3 at the back.

8 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

Agree,I initially thought it was a foul to us with their player sliding in like he did.He then got up and clearly dived.

If Covolan had gone down there's every chance the ref would have given us a foul.  Let's hope he's learned a lesson and just sticks his foot through it the next time, I'd rather him be learning this lesson first game of the season if he has to and not if it comes down to the wire in April/May.

That's a possibility but it still leaves the space behind the midfield and perhaps the midfield spread out across the field a little more compared to when there's 5 players in there. I'm just not a fan of 3 at the back.

Me neither but DC seems determined to play it

6 hours ago, Walter said:

Just responding to the post about Wilson doing a good impression of Theo. His very few vale goals were easy chances. He did f all but even he would occasionally take a chance.
I dont rate theo at all, but I reckon he would of scored that yesterday.
Could of pulled a few out the away end that would of scored it.

I'd back Wilson to score it 99 times out of 100 to be fair. Horrible miss, but just one of them things.

At least Wilson was in the right position, if he keeps getting in those positions he'll score.

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

There was too much high ball to Wilson yesterday.  He needs it on the deck.

Said the same earlier in the match thread.  When watching the game I had a chuckle to myself thinking no Pope but we're playing Popeball...  I'll get me tin hat.

12 minutes ago, ONLYWAYISUP said:

Just watched the highlights on YouTube. Could be my black and white eyes but surely is fouled by the sliding tackle

There is no way that is a foul by their player, if that is a foul you might as well give up challenging for a ball and there would be 60+ fouls in every game.

Our deficiencies are clear. We've known for a few weeks. The window hasn't closed yet. Perhaps players will become available in the coming days. Fingers crossed.

I'm not too disappointed by a 1-0 defeat against a decent side. We need to find goals or else morale drops and it becomes a habit. We're one game in so plenty of time.

DC made a few mistakes yesterday. Aside from his pre-match comments which I’ve done done to death, I don’t think 5-3-2 is the right formation personally. Too boring and we almost certainly won’t score enough goals.

Strange to use our best winger as RWB and then not include the best LWB in favour of a more traditional LB whose biggest weapon is his long throw, but then not have a target man on.

Johnson seemed at fault for the goal, basically on his backside when his man fired it home. Easy with hindsight but that was a game for Leon Legge all day long. Aside from the physical aspect, the absence of players goading the ref at the Covolan incidents suggests there’s not a lot of leaders.

Has DC inherited Askey’s watch? Other than the enforced change, why wait until 75 to change things? Long balls to Wilson are absolutely pointless.

Yes, granted it was fine margins but it’s the accumulation of the little things that swings the game one way or the other. 

Have no interest in the Sunderland game, so hopefully DC re-thinks things for Tranny.

2 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

Terrible defending for the goal.  Why was Smith in a wrestling match rather than trying to get to the ball?  That allowed the ball to bounce and created a scramble. 

Why indeed. The other thing that crossed my mind was why he was on the left side of the six yard box unless he was man marking. Then, Martin looks way out of position too and Johnson just failed to get to the ball. Shambolic.

No doubt plenty to do on Monday.

Archived