onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

31 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Whoever told you all that rubbish either hasn't been to the game or, like a lot of lads in the away end, spent his time watching the home fans rather than the game.  There was no lack of effort from the players at all.

No one told me that I just read all other people's comments on Wonder of Port Vale ,not many positive ones is there but lets face they have only had two attempts on target and ones gone in  and we have allegedly missed a sitter  from close in .

First game means nothing  so not bothered lets see how they do when I'm in the ground with me booming voice constantly urging them on ,I haven't watched one second of today's game ,glad I didn't. 

WORRALL is not a defender 

Advert

23 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

No one told me that I just read all other people's comments on Wonder of Port Vale ,not many positive ones is there but lets face they have only had two attempts on target and ones gone in  and we have allegedly missed a sitter  from close in .

First game means nothing  so not bothered lets see how they do when I'm in the ground with me booming voice constantly urging them on ,I haven't watched one second of today's game ,glad I didn't. 

WORRALL is not a defender 

There’s your first mistake, listening to the stuff on those vale Facebook pages, they are a cesspit of negativity and abuse when we lose. 

What we all know and have known for years is that we need a regular scoring forward. Ok Rodney is favourite but Clarke wants 2 front runners and those in our squad will not prove to be consistent scorers. Goals are needed to cement Vale's undoubted solid midfield squad. Today was frustrating. A draw would have been ok. Even with 10 players we we were not outplayed or out fought. The team will gel in time. I also echo what the majority have said in that Wozza has to play on the wing. We lost but I could not accept what some were mouthing off at the end in that they will not attend away games again and the manager is crap! It was the first match ffs. Back the Club, like Carol is and we will get it right. This division is wide open.

By playing Worrall at RWB you are sacrificing his game for the sake of the team. It was OK in the short term last season but you need a system that plays to your strengths, and Worrall is one of our key creative and attacking players.

2 hours ago, Rory said:
2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:
Been saying it all pre season. I get gibbo is injured. We’ve signed cass, play either him or smith there and let Worrall stay up top where he hurts teams at this level. 

Play Worrall where? He'd have to bin this daft system.

That is the problem. I dont see our midfield three AND Worrall in the same team. D C will not change the midfield three for a few games yet i dont think

Not enough exciting play created and plenty of goals need to come from the two up front.

By playing Worrall at RWB you are sacrificing his game for the sake of the team. It was OK in the short term last season but you need a system that plays to your strengths, and Worrall is one of our key creative and attacking players.
Spot on. It seems to me to be a reactive outlook when, with the players we've now got, surely we should be looking at a proactive approach. Smacks of Aspin all over again, set up not to lose then, invariably, lose. When you set up defensively, if you concede first, generally you have to then adopt a whole new approach mid game, whereas it should be much easier to react to a setback when youre already set up to take the front foot.
That said, DC obviously knows a lot more than me about all things football!

The problem with Covolan coming so far out is that if he doesn’t get some distance on his clearance, or find a Vale player with a pass, he’s always going to struggle to get back between the sticks.  As it was, a bad touch, he’s lost the ball and bingo.  It’s one thing sweeping up but another thing altogether over committing.

Stone looked fine in the friendlies and for me he’s a far steadier option.

6 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

That is the problem. I dont see our midfield three AND Worrall in the same team. D C will not change the midfield three for a few games yet i dont think

Not enough exciting play created and plenty of goals need to come from the two up front.

I think he fits into a 433

Stone

Cass       Smith   Martin   Benning

Conlon  Walker    Pett

Worrall         Wilson       Rodney 

4 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

The problem with Covolan coming so far out is that if he doesn’t get some distance on his clearance, or find a Vale player with a pass, he’s always going to struggle to get back between the sticks.  As it was, a bad touch, he’s lost the ball and bingo.  It’s one thing sweeping up but another thing altogether over committing.

Stone looked fine in the friendlies and for me he’s a far steadier option.

Hes not had the greatest start to his vale career but im not writing him off just yet everyone makes mistakes and unfortunately as a goalkeeper mistakes are highlighted more because they normally result in a goal/penalty or something like today and him being sent off. It's unfortunate to happen in his first game but hopefully he bounces back from it and shows us that he is more than capable at this level. Yes he's probably cost us any chance of getting something today but theres a lot of games for him to make it up

1 minute ago, Vale1995 said:

Hes not had the greatest start to his vale career but im not writing him off just yet everyone makes mistakes and unfortunately as a goalkeeper mistakes are highlighted more because they normally result in a goal/penalty or something like today and him being sent off. It's unfortunate to happen in his first game but hopefully he bounces back from it and shows us that he is more than capable at this level. Yes he's probably cost us any chance of getting something today but theres a lot of games for him to make it up

Massively frustrating as I was singing his praises first half for his ability to sweep up, claims crosses and set up attacks. Big learning curve, bit I’m backing him to bounce back. 

1 minute ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Massively frustrating as I was singing his praises first half for his ability to sweep up, claims crosses and set up attacks. Big learning curve, bit I’m backing him to bounce back. 

Your praises may still be justified, hes made one mistake i wont be judging him before ive seen more of him

2 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

But then won’t we moaning we are only playing one striker? 

Not necessarily BB, four at the back always seems the best starting option to me and then play any system of the 6 out field players in front of them adjusting on the go, it's such a flexible, fluid and balanced system, eg 4-3-3, 4-4-2 or 4-5-1, 4-1-3-2 etc. 

With 4 at the back it's possible to play/form strong "units" who can dovetail down both wings as Alf Ramsey did in '66 and '70 but the caveat at the moment is Gibbo's injury. I've not seen Cass play so don't know if he's an attacking full back, Smith can play RB but he's not as attack minded as Gibbo. Adding someone like a Mitch Clarke would be ideal but it ain't gonna happen.

On a side note, I thought Nathan Smith did really well today in a physical battle with a very awkward opponent.

23 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

I’m not writing Covolan off but we’ve got 2 keepers.  Stone came on and played well.  He’s got the shirt now and it’s his to lose.  Hopefully Stone will be playing well enough that Covolan has to wait a long time before he gets chance “to make it up”.  That’s how competition for places works isn’t it?

Archived