onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

46 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Interesting press conference from DC.

Admitted that historically his sides haven't started well.... referenced when he was at Bristol Rovers he had 9 points after 9 games and then went on to get 85 points by the end of the season.

Also said that lots of managers don't play the formation in their first game as they have been in pre season... and then said he might be one of them.

Given his history that means we are nailed on to play like we have in pre season.

🙂

Also funny to hear him being back to type regarding not talking about injured players when asked about Gibbo and Taylor by Mike baggaley. Yet on Monday on radio stoke when blakeman interviewed him live, he said that gibbo will be back in training soon and has been doing well at St. George’s this week. 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Admitted that historically his sides haven't started well.... referenced when he was at Bristol Rovers he had 9 points after 9 games and then went on to get 85 points by the end of the season.

Also said that lots of managers don't play the formation in their first game as they have been in pre season... and then said he might be one of them.

Talk about managing expectations! 

I wouldn't believe a word he says in the media about his formation.

Covolan

Smith
Martin
Johnson

Worrall
Walker
Pett
Conlon
Benning

Wilson
Rodney

I'd say that is our strongest looking 11 right now, with Worrall and Benning as wing-backs. Though I think Clarke might opt for Jones over Benning tomorrow just to be a bit more cautious, and could also go for Proctor over Wilson just because the former is a bit more physical. We look a really good League Two side on paper anyway, potentially the best we've had for many a year, for what that's worth. Would have loved another striker though, someone proven at League Two level.

Couldn’t agree more about Wilson. This next comment about Wilson may be a little premature but Wilson is one of the best players I’ve seen in League 2. He looks ‘class’. It’s down to him how much he wants it.

I not sure he’s a goal poacher type forward (but I could be wrong) but if we can get him running at their defenders with the ball at his feet then I’m sure he’ll make things happen.

That said, I hope he can get himself in the box to get on the end of a few crosses etc.

Regarding the team for tomorrow, I would go with Jones at LWB and I think Clarke will go with Jones at the start as well.

Wilson clearly has the ability, you dont play for Manchester United 15-20 times if you dont have something to offer. Hopefully coming back to his roots will see him get back to his best. 

If we can get him to his best we would have by far the best in the league striker wise.

Surely 343 would suit our personnel best currently. Back 3 of Smith Martin Johnson. Cass and Jones as WBs. Middle 2 out of Conlon Pett Walker and Garrity. Front 3 of Rodney Worrall and Wilson. That potentially gives us 3 on either flank defensively (more than enough) and at least 6 up top offensively.

22 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Surely 343 would suit our personnel best currently. Back 3 of Smith Martin Johnson. Cass and Jones as WBs. Middle 2 out of Conlon Pett Walker and Garrity. Front 3 of Rodney Worrall and Wilson. That potentially gives us 3 on either flank defensively (more than enough) and at least 6 up top offensively.

I like the idea of a 3-4-3 too, but possibly best when Gibbo is fit, as thought Cass was more of a defensive RB?

Could well be our best formation when all fit, and to my mind it defo becomes our best option if one of Walker, Pett or Conlon is out, or possibly if we're chasing a game.

For now tho, 3-4-1-2 for me Clive;

Cov 

Smith  Martin  Johnson

Worrall     Pett    Walker     Benning 

Conlon

Wilson          Proctor

Rodney off bench last 30 mins as our 'finisher' to use Eddie Jones' terminology.

Archived