onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

3 hours ago, philmpv said:
4 hours ago, PV1973 said:
I think you missed my point (or I didn’t make it well enough) that there’s an obsession with 4-4-2 and fans find holes in any new systems that we may try and use. 

I absolutely get the 442 point. Drives me mad as well. But the space behind the wing backs issue, based on pre season, is a valid criticism

Maybe that’s why I think we’ll go with Pett and Walker as holding midfielders to fill those gaps. The issue of space behind wingbacks is the same up and down the country with any team that uses it, Clarke and flitcroft must have looked at it in depth based on the recruitment of the players to fit the system. 

10 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Weve been playing wingbacks all preseason so there’s no reason to think we’ll go into the season doing anything different. What will 100% happen though is that fans will want us to go 4-4-2, will criticise wingbacks for leaving too much space behind, for being too defensive, for not getting the best out of certain payers or not creating enough. 

You're absolutely right. As for 442, I don't think we've got the athleticism in midfield to have just 2 in there.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the Northampton Chronicle is reporting that 3 of their players will miss the game on Saturday: Michael Harriman, Jack Sowerby and Sam Hoskins.

I must admit I know very little about these players but I’m sure that one of you out there does and knows what, if any, are the ramifications.

2 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the Northampton Chronicle is reporting that 3 of their players will miss the game on Saturday: Michael Harriman, Jack Sowerby and Sam Hoskins.

I must admit I know very little about these players but I’m sure that one of you out there does and knows what, if any, are the ramifications.

I think all 3 would be in or around the first team.

2 things to note, and I’ll apologise if already mentioned, according to their website, from 2:45 onwards they’ll be paying tribute to 40 fans who’ve sadly passed away since fans were last allowed to attend games.  Big screen showing pictures and names will be read out.  We can only hope that this tribute will be well respected.

The second point is that the match ref is making his EFL debut. I can only suggest making additional offerings to the gods, carrying an extra lucky rabbits foot, or generally going over the top with whatever else your prematch ritual may consist of, to try to help on this score.

2 things to note, and I’ll apologise if already mentioned, according to their website, from 2:45 onwards they’ll be paying tribute to 40 fans who’ve sadly passed away since fans were last allowed to attend games.  Big screen showing pictures and names will be read out.  We can only hope that this tribute will be well respected.
The second point is that the match ref is making his EFL debut. I can only suggest making additional offerings to the gods, carrying an extra lucky rabbits foot, or generally going over the top with whatever else your prematch ritual may consist of, to try to help on this score.
The younger less experienced refs are usually quite decent. It's the arrogant more experienced sods who drive you mad, a la Kettle and Madley.

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Vale fans are always respectful of things like that , absolutely no need to think it will be anything otherwise on Saturday 

From what I saw at training it looks like we are going with:

Covolan

Smith Martin Johnson 

Worrall                                                    Jones

Walker

Pett                          Conlon 

Rodney                    Wilson

This was the team played against the youth team this morning, with the likes of Benning Amoo Hurst Legge Proctor Garrity and Stone complete possession drills on the other pitch. Seems like DC wants to use Jones’s long throw as a weapon on such a tight pitch at Sixfields. However having seen Benning at Chesterfield last week I’m slightly disappointed to see him miss out (if he does) as he gets forward well and offers a quality delivery into the box. But it’s great to see we have strength in depth especially at the left wing/left back side as we’ve struggled to have one capable player playing in that position never mind two experienced ones which he was at our disposal this year.

26 minutes ago, GingerValiant said:

Covolan

Smith Martin Johnson 

Walker

This was the team played against the youth team this morning, with the likes of Benning Amoo Hurst Legge Proctor Garrity and Stone complete possession drills on the other pitch. Seems like DC wants to use Jones’s long throw as a weapon on such a tight pitch at Sixfields. However having seen Benning at Chesterfield last week I’m slightly disappointed to see him miss out (if he does) as he gets forward well and offers a quality delivery into the box. But it’s great to see we have strength in depth especially at the left wing/left back side as we’ve struggled to have one capable player playing in that position never mind two experienced ones which he was at our disposal this year.

I think Benning got a slight knock at Chesterfield which is why he wasn’t in that 11 today. That aside I don’t think there are any surprises in that line up. 

Over 1100 of us there, full of anticipation and pent up frustration from the pandemic starving us of any real live footie. Going to be a great opener to an eagerly anticipated season. I've not felt this hopeful or enthusiastic for absolute yonks!

Resect to be paid to those who succumbed to the evil covid ( I truly hope Vale also do a similar thing at our first home game) and then a wholehearted SVA super charged support. Conner wait.  Could this be a realistic turning in our Club's history?  With Carol et all 100% backing please let my "senior" years now enjoy an uptide and progressive successful period for the mighty Whites. UTV. 

1 hour ago, GingerValiant said:

Covolan

Smith Martin Johnson 

Walker

I’d anticipate Pett and Walker will play alongside each other with Conlon advanced to support the front two. That would also give the wing backs a little more freedom to get forward with will be necessary to provide the width going forward.

Archived