onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bet Victor Predictions

markh

Advert

15 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I  think we will be solid, hard to beat.  But not have enough players with that bit extra  to get us near the  top. So 12th or so. But you never know. If a few click. Or it could go the other way too.

Just looking forward to it to be honest.  It feels like a very long closed season.  I know there has been the Euros and Olympics and so on. But only Vale on a Saturday gets my blood racing....

Do you think the squad and first team is weaker than last year, or stronger, or about the same?  We were a point off 11th last time, so, unless the league is a bit stronger, we should be top 10 at least.

30 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Do you think the squad and first team is weaker than last year, or stronger, or about the same?  We were a point off 11th last time, so, unless the league is a bit stronger, we should be top 10 at least.

Hard to say. First team I'd say about the same. Back up, better. But only in MF and defence. Wozza playing RB is a complete waste for me.  If we can get Gibbo back and push Wozza further forward that would be a massive plus for us.

Also NB. Benning has been poor in the friendlies. But if he can kick on  and if DC is playing three CB's, which I am sure he will, we  could be scary team to face.

All if buts and maybes. That is why we love it.

23 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

From memory, if we'd have turned 1 loss into a draw last season we'd have finished 11th.  The question is has the huge squad turnover improved us?  Only time will tell, but after such a massive rebuild if there are 10 better teams than us I'd have to ask what was the point.

So who would you have kept that would have been instrumental in catapulting us to promotion? I know folk in SOT don’t like change, but it was paramount we rebuilt the ageing declining squad. Can’t believe you are asking what the point is. They have all gone non-league, which is case in point. 

If you extrapolate the games DC has with the old squad into a full season, that’s promotion chasing with a much poorer squad.

in terms of goals, the best goal threat has been retained and the other strikers signed should offer more.

47 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

I have us a couple higher, but it's a fair assessment. Tranmere or Exeter to win it in my book.

Having said that, it looks a terrible league, so maybe I should be more positive. 

Bolton gone, everyone else was beatable. This league is trash and we have a much better squad. As I say, anyone can save these posts and say I was right when we go up. Discuss how and why and whatever, but we’ll be up.

34 minutes ago, 1 said:

This league is trash 

Bold statement. I don't think so.  There are far more teams splashing cash beyond our dreams. Some will fail. But most will not. If we do not get promoted  we will have spent our longest time ever in the lowest league. It will happen.  No reflection on the owners.

We are just a club on the decline. For whatever reason.   Sadly.

Naturally we are a mid table L1 team. Now we are a bang average L2  team. If that.

It is so sad.

47 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

So who would you have kept that would have been instrumental in catapulting us to promotion? I know folk in SOT don’t like change, but it was paramount we rebuilt the ageing declining squad. Can’t believe you are asking what the point is. They have all gone non-league, which is case in point. 

I don't think it's clear to you, although I'm only stating the obvious.   If we don't IMPROVE on last seasons 13th, and it becomes a case of "Oh well, we're building for next season", what WAS the point?  Just to get the average age down?  So we have a younger mid table team?  Just to make up the numbers again?  Sorry, but that doesn't wash with me.  If we don't see some clear improvement having had such a radical makeover then we may just as well have stuck with a few more of the duffers who got us to 13th.

For the record I think we will improve on last seasons points tally and I don't believe that there'll be 10 teams better than us.

Also for the record, I don't mind change.  To illustrate the point, for the coming season I've changed my lucky undercrackers for a new pair.

7 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I would have kept Brown, Stone looks like he might develop into a good keeper. I like Covolan as a character but he has already been sent off in a friendly so there is a question mark about his ability to play 40+ games a season. We have signed a lot of players, individually they may offer an improvement on the players they replaced but they haven't had much time to become a team. Evolution rather than revolution would have been a better option for me. Joyce and Brisley would have been steady heads to keep things together for example.

6 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I don't think it's clear to you, although I'm only stating the obvious.   If we don't IMPROVE on last seasons 13th, and it becomes a case of "Oh well, we're building for next season", what WAS the point?  

Which team do you think will improve and be better in the 22-23 season?

DCs younger team or Askeys older team?

Which team contains more players with the potential to kick on and potentially be sold for profit?

Or another way of putting it, who is more likely to be sold for profit which can be reinvested in the club… 25 year old Brad Walker or 34 year old Luke Joyce? 25 year old James Wilson or 39 year old Tom Pope? 24 year old Ryan Johnson or 31 year old Sean Brisley.

Answers to those question answer your question.

Its about being a long term project built on solid foundations that can develop players who we may be able to sell rather than being a short termist “it’s this season or nothing” team.

Which team contains more players with the potential to kick on and potentially be sold for profit?
Or another way of putting it, who is more likely to be sold for profit which can be reinvested in the club… 25 year old Brad Walker or 34 year old Luke Joyce? 25 year old James Wilson or 39 year old Tom Pope? 24 year old Ryan Johnson or 31 year old Sean Brisley.
Its about being a long term project built on solid foundations that can develop players who we may be able to sell rather than being a short termist “it’s this season or nothing” team.
Pope may be old but he isn't 39!

46 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

It is all very well planning for next season but we need a team capable of getting enough points to stay up this season and it is a total unknown if we have that. DC sees us as a project for his career, not our football team. He seems to have brought in a team of "yes" men and cleared out any strong characters who might disagree with him. Some players will react badly to his first meltdown after a loss and never play well for us again while asking their agent to get them another club.

43 minutes ago, philmpv said:
52 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

He runs about like he’s 39 

2 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

It is all very well planning for next season but we need a team capable of getting enough points to stay up this season and it is a total unknown if we have that. DC sees us as a project for his career, not our football team. He seems to have brought in a team of "yes" men and cleared out any strong characters who might disagree with him. Some players will react badly to his first meltdown after a loss and never play well for us again while asking their agent to get them another club.

I shouldn't react but you genuinely think by reducing the age of the squad and bringing in a mix of proven players like Pett, Benning, Walker and hungry players like Johnson and Cov that we are in danger of relegation ? 

The club has learnt it's lessons. 

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Yeah I was trying to be funny and failing miserably as usual 😂

Archived