onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bet Victor Predictions

markh

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I shouldn't react but you genuinely think by reducing the age of the squad and bringing in a mix of proven players like Pett, Benning, Walker and hungry players like Johnson and Cov that we are in danger of relegation ? 

The club has learnt it's lessons. 

Who can say. Looks better on paper but it depends how the players gel and how committed they are in the freezing rain at a November night match. Or snow even...

Advert

9 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Who can say. Looks better on paper but it depends how the players gel and how committed they are in the freezing rain at a November night match. Or snow even...

That applies to all 24 teams 

I'd certainly take our ungelled squad over Hartlepool who are still in disarray 6 days away or Oldham another.

Keep the faith we'll be fine 

5 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I shouldn't react but you genuinely think by reducing the age of the squad and bringing in a mix of proven players like Pett, Benning, Walker and hungry players like Johnson and Cov that we are in danger of relegation ? 

The club has learnt it's lessons. 

He just wants attention. 

20 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I don't think it's clear to you, although I'm only stating the obvious.   If we don't IMPROVE on last seasons 13th, and it becomes a case of "Oh well, we're building for next season", what WAS the point?  Just to get the average age down?  So we have a younger mid table team?  Just to make up the numbers again?  Sorry, but that doesn't wash with me.  If we don't see some clear improvement having had such a radical makeover then we may just as well have stuck with a few more of the duffers who got us to 13th.

For the record I think we will improve on last seasons points tally and I don't believe that there'll be 10 teams better than us.

Also for the record, I don't mind change.  To illustrate the point, for the coming season I've changed my lucky undercrackers for a new pair.

Let’s revisit this post come May. We were going nowhere with last season’s squad, so change was necessary. Whether DF/DC have got the changes right remains to be seen.

If we had kept Brown, Joyce, Brisley, Pope etc I would be very despondent about the upcoming season, and would be expecting the same old <ovf censored> that nearly got us relegated until DC came in.

At least we now have hope, and season ticket sales reflect this. I admit it’s a leap into the unknown, but if you don’t try, you’ll never know. 

Anyway, different opinions aside, we both want the same thing, which is a successful season for the mighty Vale. Let’s hope we do mucker and we’re down Boslem clinking pints when we get promoted 😄 

13 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Which team do you think will improve and be better in the 22-23 season?

DCs younger team or Askeys older team?

Which team contains more players with the potential to kick on and potentially be sold for profit?

Or another way of putting it, who is more likely to be sold for profit which can be reinvested in the club… 25 year old Brad Walker or 34 year old Luke Joyce? 25 year old James Wilson or 39 year old Tom Pope? 24 year old Ryan Johnson or 31 year old Sean Brisley.

Answers to those question answer your question.

Its about being a long term project built on solid foundations that can develop players who we may be able to sell rather than being a short termist “it’s this season or nothing” team.

You can't possibly compare DC's team with a hypothetical Askey team for 22/23 simply because it's impossible to guess whay players Askey, or any other manager come to that, would add and release in 3 or 4 transfer windows.

I'd argue that as it stands today non of our most saleable assets were signed by DC.  Of course several of his signings may well move into that category but it's not a given.  Hopefully some of our players do move on to bigger clubs at some point and earn us a good fee in the process.

8 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

You can't possibly compare DC's team with a hypothetical Askey team for 22/23 simply because it's impossible to guess whay players Askey, or any other manager come to that, would add and release in 3 or 4 transfer windows.

I'd argue that as it stands today non of our most saleable assets were signed by DC.  Of course several of his signings may well move into that category but it's not a given.  Hopefully some of our players do move on to bigger clubs at some point and earn us a good fee in the process.

To counter your first point, Askeys first team was pretty much the one he inherited from Aspin. His record in the transfer market was poor and I had zero faith in him rebuilding his aging team.

Our most saleable asset (Conlon) was signed by Aspin… and of course he is more saleable that DCs signings right now because none of them has kicked a ball in anger in a competitive game for us yet. I will give you Rodney as one player he signed who is saleable… that’s one on his tenure.

Your original question was “what was the point” if we finish in the same place as last year.

The answer is provide a much needed root and branch clear out of the footballing side of the club to better set us up for suture success.

That is the point.

Its happened. It’s good.

8 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

To counter your first point, Askeys first team was pretty much the one he inherited from Aspin. His record in the transfer market was poor and I had zero faith in him rebuilding his aging team.

Our most saleable asset (Conlon) was signed by Aspin… and of course he is more saleable that DCs signings right now because none of them has kicked a ball in anger in a competitive game for us yet. I will give you Rodney as one player he signed who is saleable… that’s one on his tenure.

Your original question was “what was the point” if we finish in the same place as last year.

The answer is provide a much needed root and branch clear out of the footballing side of the club to better set us up for suture success.

That is the point.

Its happened. It’s good.

No, my original point was that we need to actually improve rather than merely finish in the same place as last year.  Based on the fact that our much derided team from last year managed 13th, so “proper” recruitment should bring about better results.  That’s my theory anyway.

So we’ve had our root and branch clear out, and I’m playing devils advocate here, what if our numerous recruits don’t come up to scratch and we don’t see any improvement?  Do we then have another clear out for the season after this?

To repeat myself, I think we’ll finish top ten.  Out of interest where do you see us finishing?

28 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

No, my original point was that we need to actually improve rather than merely finish in the same place as last year.  Based on the fact that our much derided team from last year managed 13th, so “proper” recruitment should bring about better results.  That’s my theory anyway.

So we’ve had our root and branch clear out, and I’m playing devils advocate here, what if our numerous recruits don’t come up to scratch and we don’t see any improvement?  Do we then have another clear out for the season after this?

To repeat myself, I think we’ll finish top ten.  Out of interest where do you see us finishing?

I get your point... but in my mind its short sighted. 

A same place finish as last year plus a foundation to build grow and develop the club is better than same place finish and the same old aging tiring squad.

To answer the second question, now we have a team that's built in the style and type of player that the DoF and manager want, any changes year on year should only need to be tweaks.

Look at DCs work at Bristol Rovers. After his huge over haul of a failing aging squad, his transfers in for the next few seasons were more moderate as he guided them to 2 successive promotions to league 1.

The root and branch at the Vale was needed to reset the club and put it on a new path... That's done now, so that's good.

Tough league to call.... Anywhere from 13th to 4th... but who knows.

Looking at the odds from last season, I think it's clear that the bookies know sod all at this stage. Morecambe were 24th out of 24 to win the league, and Cambridge 18th, and both of those went up (granted, they didn't win the league though). Only Bolton, who were favourites, went up and finished in the top 3

Gambling Sweet Caroline it's a load of nonsense .

I play the postcode lottery that's it ,years ago when I gambled a little of my income I lost all the time what's so sweet about that I just have a few beers instead now 

Gambling is pointless a road to hell for the ones who earn too much and for the  average guy who earns not enough  way to the  streets and depression galore .

So forget the odds put your money into something worthwhile like shares Gambling leads to misery .

Archived