onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bet Victor Predictions

markh

The team we have constructed is man for man a top league 2 team with no obvious weak links and better depth than last year. A massive improvement on the side that went on a huge winning run last season. Everything is in place for a successful season and I doubt many teams are in a more stable position. Let betting articles written in 10 minutes write us off, makes no difference to DC I’m sure.

Advert

28 minutes ago, 1 said:

The team we have constructed is man for man a top league 2 team with no obvious weak links and better depth than last year. A massive improvement on the side that went on a huge winning run last season. Everything is in place for a successful season and I doubt many teams are in a more stable position. Let betting articles written in 10 minutes write us off, makes no difference to DC I’m sure.

I have no facts just a feeling that we have been promoted more times than the bookies thought, and relegated far fewer times than the bookies thought.

I don’t know what football everyone else has been watching but from the friendlies I really don’t see us doing much better than mid table again.

People can scoff on here about friendlies being meaningless but I just don’t see the team having as much additional quality as I had hoped. 

I really felt great seeing some of the new names signed and I felt optimistic but so far some look equally barely better than the duffers they have replaced. 

Let me just put it this way. I really really hope I am wrong but I don’t see the playoffs. I see 10-14th. 

Would that be so terrible? No. Would be bloody frustrating though. 

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

I don’t know what football everyone else has been watching but from the friendlies I really don’t see us doing much better than mid table again.

People can scoff on here about friendlies being meaningless but I just don’t see the team having as much additional quality as I had hoped. 

I really felt great seeing some of the new names signed and I felt optimistic but so far some look equally barely better than the duffers they have replaced. 

Let me just put it this way. I really really hope I am wrong but I don’t see the playoffs. I see 10-14th. 

Would that be so terrible? No. Would be bloody frustrating though. 

I get excited and carried away every year. After last season i swore i'd be more realistic like you. The only thing that makes me hope for better is atleast a few of our signings previous clubs fans where gutted about. I cant remember any in recent seasons with the same levels of regret from other fans.

Benning - Left with Mansfields fans best wishes

Cass & Johnson - Hartlepool fans gutted

Covolan - Gulls fans gutted - Cult hero status

Walker - Some shrews fans would have kept him but they had other options

Stone - Mansfield fans felt he did ok to well

Wilson - Salford Fans not bothered as far as i can tell

Garrity - derided a bit by oldham. Some weird meme stuff from blackpool

Proctor - No idea

Jones - no idea

Pett - No idea but probably well liked at stevenage

Martin - Not sure either

It's difficult to stay close to it all bit even the ones which i am not sure on seem to be well rated if you look at some of the non league pods / bloggers.

All this means nothing though if the team doesn't gel. Think we might be a bit light up top. Normally takes new teams a while to figure out how they score goals.

2 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

When Saturday Comes have us in 11th.

From memory, if we'd have turned 1 loss into a draw last season we'd have finished 11th.  The question is has the huge squad turnover improved us?  Only time will tell, but after such a massive rebuild if there are 10 better teams than us I'd have to ask what was the point.

7 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

From memory, if we'd have turned 1 loss into a draw last season we'd have finished 11th.  The question is has the huge squad turnover improved us?  Only time will tell, but after such a massive rebuild if there are 10 better teams than us I'd have to ask what was the point.

It seems to me the squad is stronger than this time last season, and I guess the point was to lower the age of the squad, as well as improving the quality of player. Some of last year's team were reaching their twilight, and we have recruited players who are leaders from what I can see. But I agree that mid table would disappoint a lot of people, who seem to think that massive overhaul = obvious promotion.

I think Wilson is key to pushing up the league - if he starts firing, gets a few goals early on, and goes on to have an upper teens total at the end of the season, we ought to be close to the playoffs. If he is seen as our danger man by other teams and double marked, it takes the pressure off Rodney as well. 

And I think being in with a shout of the playoffs with 5 games left will be viewed as a success. The final striker to be signed will be interesting - championship loanee, or experienced warhorse that no-one else has taken up yet? It's one of the more intriguing questions about next season - do we have enough goals in the team or not? I hoping we do, and can make the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Spot on….don’t know why so many are saying we have a better squad than last season, it is far too early to say the players we have are better than what we have cleared out. Hopefully they are and they should be if DC has done his job properly but looking at the friendlies I have not been filled with confidence.

5 hours ago, Lornelounger said:

It seems to me the squad is stronger than this time last season, and I guess the point was to lower the age of the squad, as well as improving the quality of player. Some of last year's team were reaching their twilight, and we have recruited players who are leaders from what I can see. But I agree that mid table would disappoint a lot of people, who seem to think that massive overhaul = obvious promotion.

I think Wilson is key to pushing up the league - if he starts firing, gets a few goals early on, and goes on to have an upper teens total at the end of the season, we ought to be close to the playoffs. If he is seen as our danger man by other teams and double marked, it takes the pressure off Rodney as well. 

And I think being in with a shout of the playoffs with 5 games left will be viewed as a success. The final striker to be signed will be interesting - championship loanee, or experienced warhorse that no-one else has taken up yet? It's one of the more intriguing questions about next season - do we have enough goals in the team or not? I hoping we do, and can make the playoffs.

I’d agree with all of this, but didn’t we end up with a shout of being in the playoffs last season with 5 or 6 games left?

4 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Spot on….don’t know why so many are saying we have a better squad than last season, it is far too early to say the players we have are better than what we have cleared out. Hopefully they are and they should be if DC has done his job properly but looking at the friendlies I have not been filled with confidence.

We look way better as a squad than last time to me but that had to translate itself into better performances and results.  If it’s just about steady progress we may as well not had the huge turnover of players in my view, although I do accept there was a lot of dross.

Have to say I’m quietly confident of a top ten finish.

I have often believed our squad is stronger every year...then as the season wears on we find that some of the promising signings turn duff and other guys lose form. 

One thing I would say, is that as others have said as a squad it looks to have more depth. I really cannot imagine another relegation flirting season at all. I just don’t see us as having the finesse and certainly the speed in the team that a top side will have. Goals remain a problem. 

You know the sort of teams that we will find tough, the usual physical ones and hoof ball merchants with no passing finesse who will frustrate us..

NTT20 have excellent preview podcasts as per. 

They pick out that, since Clarke's arrival, we had the 6th most points per game in the league predicated on an excellent defensive record after he get his feet under the table.

Won't go into where they put us but it leaves you optimistic as these lads are very knowledgeable (although they, like everyone, didn't call us right for the last two years).

I  think we will be solid, hard to beat.  But not have enough players with that bit extra  to get us near the  top. So 12th or so. But you never know. If a few click. Or it could go the other way too.

Just looking forward to it to be honest.  It feels like a very long closed season.  I know there has been the Euros and Olympics and so on. But only Vale on a Saturday gets my blood racing....

Archived