Match thread: Chesterfield v Port Vale (friendly)

robf

2 minutes ago, valeblue said:

People worried about the season ahead based on half an hour of a friendly 😂you couldn’t make it up !!!!

I don’t think that at all, just haven’t seen that much over preseason that makes me think that we will do any better or worse than last season.

I know other people feel the same but we won’t really know until 10 games into the new season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

I don’t think that at all, just haven’t seen that much over preseason that makes me think that we will do any better or worse than last season.

I know other people feel the same but we won’t really know until 10 games into the new season.

Everyone bangs on about 10 games but in reality we were flying high in 4th or 5th after 10 games last season. 

It's a load of tosh. You only have a real idea come Christmas time & even then things can change dramatically. 

• Like 1

Wilson has looked good all game and is definitely a threat especially when he is running at the defence. Whilst solidly reliable in the air, Legge worries me with his amazing ability to always make his second touch a tackle.

• Like 1

Slow start but gradual improvement over the half as we began to find our feet with some good passing moves. Thought Wilson was excellent and has been the difference between the two sides with two clear chances, one just wide and the other straight in the top right corner from just outside the box. As the Chesterfield commentator said, on this form Wilson looks a quality striker.

Good performances too I thought from Cass and Johnson at the back. A bit rusty in midfield though for me, we will be much better there when Gibbo is back as wingback and Wozza can have free rein down the right side, with Rodney on the left and Wilson in the centre of a front three. Wozza is where our chances are going to come from and it pained me to see him playing so far back.

So far, so good.

• Like 3

Hope this isn't Clarke first choice 11. It's not good at the moment. Very poor all round, Benning looks all at sea.
I have to say that, from what I've seen so far, Benning is going to disappoint a lot of people this season. Hope I'm wrong, and I may well be (like Legge, he may be particularly bad in friendlies), but given some were creaming themselves at the prospect of signing him, I've been very disappointed

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
49 minutes ago, boleyuk said:
Hope this isn't Clarke first choice 11. It's not good at the moment. Very poor all round, Benning looks all at sea.

I have to say that, from what I've seen so far, Benning is going to disappoint a lot of people this season. Hope I'm wrong, and I may well be (like Legge, he may be particularly bad in friendlies), but given some were creaming themselves at the prospect of signing him, I've been very disappointed

I suspect a long and illustrious career as a highly thought of LWB is a better thing to judge him on rather than a few pre season friendlies.

My guess is we will be glad we finally have a decent dedicated left back.

• Like 2

I suspect a long and illustrious career as a highly thought of LWB is a better thing to judge him on rather than a few pre season friendlies.
My guess is we will be glad we finally have a decent dedicated left back.
You may be right, although I'd hardly call a career played almost exclusively at L2 level 'illustrious'. I don't really care what he's done before though. It's what he does for us that matters. Let's hope he's the new Tankard, and not another Lawrie Wilson

It’s nice to see Manny on a football pitch again. Seems like a really decent bloke and deserves a bit of good luck.

Interestingly… despite what we used to sing, he gave the ball away twice in 10 mins at the start of the half 😂

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

Vale holding shape well when defending.

I can see us being hard to break down this season.

Just as a write that Cass gets dragged out of position! Doh

Edited by Iron Curtain