OVF feature: Not much honesty or loyalty – Tom Pope on Port Vale exit and Congleton switch

4 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

It would be interesting to know which other clubs higher in the football pyramid came in for Popey proving his point that he still had alot to offer at this level.  Or did he really drop down all those leagues because it was Hobsons choice ?

If as reported on here it was an insurance issur that forced him to drop down the pyramid then be honest Tom and tell us. Its hard to believe he chose Congleton, unless no one else was interested in his potential.

• Like 3

Advert:

4 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

It would be interesting to know which other clubs higher in the football pyramid came in for Popey proving his point that he still had alot to offer at this level.  Or did he really drop down all those leagues because it was Hobsons choice ?

Even if they ‘expressed an interest’ for whatever reason they never came to fruition, so don’t see how that helps strengthen his argument. 

Similar to ‘had a trial with…’ means they opted not to sign you, normally because you didn’t fit the bill, occasionally because of your demands

• Like 2

He was miles better than that bag of .... up front last year. Askey the tosser cost us big style, and it must get in your head when not picked with the crap he saw. I was over the moon when Askey got sacked (3 months too late) please remember everyone he got injured at Sunderland, and carried on because he did not want the club he loved go down to 10 men.Did that cost him in the long run. How many would have done that? Not just a player but a 100 per center. Sadly in our bad run we did not have them. Time will tell us, I do know you cant beat a local lad and supporter giving his all.

Just read this. Embarrassing from a club “legend” not a surprise though given his previous antics on Twitter. Comes across as a right ****. 

I found it odd that players like Joyce, brown and Monty thanked the club and can manage to come out and thank the club, fans ect after just a couple of years and pope, supposedly a club legend didn’t say anything what so ever. 

It’s extremely bitter and really poor from him. Not read the rest of the thread yet but imagine the usual suspects have been leaping to his defence again. Embarrassing comments from a very bitter Man! Will give any testimonial a miss. This guy has had more support than any other player I can think of. If he was <ovf censored> for 20 games In a row he would still be backed by the masses and have ‘feed the pope and he will score’ and he can’t even say thank you. 

As above it really Dosent surprise me considering his other Twitter posts. I find his loyal posts extremely disrespectful. He could have been dealt with much harsher by the club for his comments and he’s also been injured for a fair period so no idea what he’s getting at there. The club stuck by him through injury and through his <ovf censored> comments, and even his poor performances for the last two years and he can’t even say thank you. 

lost a lot of respect. Just lacks any kind of class what so ever. 

Think we’ve found the potential issue in the changing room!!!!

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 4

Advert:

52 minutes ago, Properman said:

He was miles better than that bag of .... up front last year. Askey the tosser cost us big style, and it must get in your head when not picked with the crap he saw. I was over the moon when Askey got sacked (3 months too late) please remember everyone he got injured at Sunderland, and carried on because he did not want the club he loved go down to 10 men.Did that cost him in the long run. How many would have done that? Not just a player but a 100 per center. Sadly in our bad run we did not have them. Time will tell us, I do know you cant beat a local lad and supporter giving his all.

Can’t pick him when he’s injured or suspended for been racist on Twitter! I’d also argue he was no better than the others given his recent record. 

• Like 1

Advert:

Thinking about Popey has he issued a statement thanking the fans for there support over the years?, a mate a Man City fan told me he hadnt heard away support for one player like he got at the Eitihad can't say I've seen anything and any problems he might have had weren't our fault

I was already undecided whether I would attend a testimonial for TP - which I thought he deserved. But, at no time after he was released did he turn round and thank the fans, and the club for supporting him through his ban, and injury and his obviously declining form, over the last 2 years. Now - with this vile outburst - he has dumped on all those who supported him...because of their loyalty to him. So, definitely, not a penny more from me goes to his pocket, and the most recent memories of his time at the Vale are not great!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I was already undecided whether I would attend a testimonial for TP - which I thought he deserved. But, at no time after he was released did he turn round and thank the fans, and the club for supporting him through his ban, and injury and his obviously declining form, over the last 2 years. Now - with this vile outburst - he has dumped on all those who supported him...because of their loyalty to him. So, definitely, not a penny more from me goes to his pocket, and the most recent memories of his time at the Vale are not great!  

Agreed.  He could have expressed disappointment but shown his ‘gratitude’ to the fans, yet he can’t even pay lip service to those who have helped swell his sizeable pay packet.  It’s taken him 3 months to come out with this bitter rant without a word of thanks.

if many of his performances over the last 2 years had been delivered by Barnett, Quigley, Bennett, Guthrie, Robinson there would have been page after page of dogs abuse, but it was largely forgiven because it was Tom.

He was a regular during the bad run that led to Askeys sacking, and if this was his attitude no doubt a big part of any dressing room disruption that was part and parcel of this.

Leaves a very sour taste from a bitter player who was way past his sell by date.  Norm left us saddled with a contract a year too long, Carol could have sacked him for his Twitter antics, and yet he has had no loyalty! Delusional and self centred.

And yet some still believe the club could have progressed with him involved with his very jaundiced views!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Yes .I agree .

Advert:

What a disappointing ending to Tom's career at the Vale, he would have been welcomed back at Vale Park with open arms I'm sure, but it seems to me he has chosen to leave and drop a few bombs on his way, it's very sad that so many are unhappy at his interview.

No doubting what Tom did for the Club during our promotion season, however after he left and went to Bury, sadly some fans like the Allen's came across as though Pope was bigger than the Club, even wanting him to score for Bury against us. Sorry but that all left a sour taste towards after that, as I did get the impression at times as though he felt he was bigger than the Club and could potentially be disruptive behind the scenes. Obviously just my own personally opinion.

Again, yes he brought us some excellent memories, however sorry Tom your not bigger than PVFC

• Like 1