onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF feature: Not much honesty or loyalty – Tom Pope on Port Vale exit and Congleton switch

News Feed

The ego has crash landed.  A real shame he has chosen to go down this line, with comments about loyalty and honesty. I think the club have shown a lot of both to him in the last couple of seasons, even when he became a liability to us with his social media comments which meant we couldn't play him because he got himself banned. Not very professional Tom - I know it might hurt being let go, but you could have shown a lot more class towards the club and the fans. Oh well, if that's what you think, so be it.

Advert

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Why doesn't anyone else think he can do a job at our level but TP? 

Great player in his day, time to move on. Thanks for the memories 

There are some deluded ones who will be out in force no doubt.  Yet there are one helluva lot of managers at both our level and the several layers between us and Congleton who have opted not to enlist his services!

I understand his frustration at not being picked to play regularly when he was clearly way better than the other strikers available at the club. 

His attitude and fitness levels have clearly meant that his professional career has come to end when, if he'd looked after himself better, he could maybe have stayed professional for another season or two. 

The loyalty and honesty comments, if true, are wide of the mark. After a great day at Man City, his tweets a few hours later were the beginning of the end! How many times did he do it? 🙄

Popey is a legend for PVFC. Sadly, he'll clearly never learn to keep his mouth shut. 

To be fair, he's not been disrespectful to the fans and JA clearly did freeze him out last season. 

DC is a much, much stronger character than JA and he's building for the future, not reminiscing about the past! 

All the best Popey and, if you get a testimonial, I'll be there to give you a good send-off and to thank you for all the great memories. 

39 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

I understand his frustration at not being picked to play regularly when he was clearly way better than the other strikers available at the club. 

His attitude and fitness levels have clearly meant that his professional career has come to end when, if he'd looked after himself better, he could maybe have stayed professional for another season or two. 

The loyalty and honesty comments, if true, are wide of the mark. After a great day at Man City, his tweets a few hours later were the beginning of the end! How many times did he do it? 🙄

Popey is a legend for PVFC. Sadly, he'll clearly never learn to keep his mouth shut. 

To be fair, he's not been disrespectful to the fans and JA clearly did freeze him out last season. 

DC is a much, much stronger character than JA and he's building for the future, not reminiscing about the past! 

All the best Popey and, if you get a testimonial, I'll be there to give you a good send-off and to thank you for all the great memories. 

If there's a testimonial I wouldn't miss it for anything, I'd even drag along my Stokie supporting  neighbour.

4 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

It would be interesting to know which other clubs higher in the football pyramid came in for Popey proving his point that he still had alot to offer at this level.  Or did he really drop down all those leagues because it was Hobsons choice ?

If as reported on here it was an insurance issur that forced him to drop down the pyramid then be honest Tom and tell us. Its hard to believe he chose Congleton, unless no one else was interested in his potential.

4 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

It would be interesting to know which other clubs higher in the football pyramid came in for Popey proving his point that he still had alot to offer at this level.  Or did he really drop down all those leagues because it was Hobsons choice ?

Even if they ‘expressed an interest’ for whatever reason they never came to fruition, so don’t see how that helps strengthen his argument. 

Similar to ‘had a trial with…’ means they opted not to sign you, normally because you didn’t fit the bill, occasionally because of your demands

He was miles better than that bag of .... up front last year. Askey the tosser cost us big style, and it must get in your head when not picked with the crap he saw. I was over the moon when Askey got sacked (3 months too late) please remember everyone he got injured at Sunderland, and carried on because he did not want the club he loved go down to 10 men.Did that cost him in the long run. How many would have done that? Not just a player but a 100 per center. Sadly in our bad run we did not have them. Time will tell us, I do know you cant beat a local lad and supporter giving his all.

Just read this. Embarrassing from a club “legend” not a surprise though given his previous antics on Twitter. Comes across as a right ****. 

I found it odd that players like Joyce, brown and Monty thanked the club and can manage to come out and thank the club, fans ect after just a couple of years and pope, supposedly a club legend didn’t say anything what so ever. 

It’s extremely bitter and really poor from him. Not read the rest of the thread yet but imagine the usual suspects have been leaping to his defence again. Embarrassing comments from a very bitter Man! Will give any testimonial a miss. This guy has had more support than any other player I can think of. If he was <ovf censored> for 20 games In a row he would still be backed by the masses and have ‘feed the pope and he will score’ and he can’t even say thank you. 

As above it really Dosent surprise me considering his other Twitter posts. I find his loyal posts extremely disrespectful. He could have been dealt with much harsher by the club for his comments and he’s also been injured for a fair period so no idea what he’s getting at there. The club stuck by him through injury and through his <ovf censored> comments, and even his poor performances for the last two years and he can’t even say thank you. 

lost a lot of respect. Just lacks any kind of class what so ever. 

Think we’ve found the potential issue in the changing room!!!!

52 minutes ago, Properman said:

He was miles better than that bag of .... up front last year. Askey the tosser cost us big style, and it must get in your head when not picked with the crap he saw. I was over the moon when Askey got sacked (3 months too late) please remember everyone he got injured at Sunderland, and carried on because he did not want the club he loved go down to 10 men.Did that cost him in the long run. How many would have done that? Not just a player but a 100 per center. Sadly in our bad run we did not have them. Time will tell us, I do know you cant beat a local lad and supporter giving his all.

Can’t pick him when he’s injured or suspended for been racist on Twitter! I’d also argue he was no better than the others given his recent record. 

Archived