Barton

Advert:

Its likely that Bristol R will need a new manager just before the season starts which is not ideal. I think he is unemployable after this, the other case and all the other incidents in the past.

23 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Not defending the guy, but what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

That's a fair point but even if he is found not guilty of this and the manager assault, he seems to attract bad publicity and off-field attention like no other.

Even if proven innocent, it's not a great scenario for a club if your manager is forever distracted fighting (pardon the pun) off-field accusations. Whether it's his fault or not that he attracts that attention, he still does and it still detracts from the job.

I'm glad we never went anywhere near him for our manager's role.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Fair point… although I think my description is independent of this incident.

Not sure he should have been involved in football from the moment he put a cigarette out on a youth team players eye at city.

His reputation is also not helped by:

His prison sentence for assault.

Or when he admitted the grievous bodily harm on his teammate Dabo.

I think he is also currently on bail for another assault.

Either way… He’s a scumbag.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 1

Advert:

6 hours ago, philmpv said:

He's either really, really unlucky to have all these unfounded allegations made about him, or he's got one or two issues he needs to resolve.

His trial for the Daniel Stendel incident has been adjourned until November.  

Advert:

He only got employment for being friends with the fleetwood manager. Foul man and god know how he kept getting hired. 

His prior record was bad enough and it is incredible the powers that be allow him to effectively mentor young men. 

As a player he would have been protected to a certain degree, I'm sure there were other instances that didn't get out. 

Now he's a manager, there is nobody to protect you, you're the one supposed to be leading by example. One of those players that if he didn't have the gift of being a footballer, would be in and out of prison refusing to reform.

Advert:

Seems like a loopy family. Was discussing Barton with my colleague yesterday and I didn't know he had a brother and cousin sent down for murder. They followed a guy around in a car and put an ice axe in his head because he was black.

It is a blight on football that a man with more than one criminal conviction for violence, including violence in a football environment can be employed as a manager.  Added to this is his wanton disregard for the internal rules on gambling in football.

How can any football club reassure parents of young players that their son (and daughter) will be well looked after, supported, and valued by any club that seeks to employ someone with this record of past misdemeanours in its most important and prominent position in the club.

He is not being victimised for a one off lapse of judgement, or a one off action when the red mist descended.  The Football Association should have a fitness to manage test before agreeing that anyone can be appointed to such a position by a club within their purview.

For those who say innocent until proven guilty, I am not talking about his current arrest. My comments are based entirely on his record to date for events for which he has been proven guilty.  

The current situation is a case of domestic violence where the victim has not formally complained.  That happens often in domestic violence cases where the alleged perpetrator has a record of past violence and the alleged victim is too traumatised to formalise a complaint.  Without any doubt at all, Mr Barton's profile matches that description.

That man needs some serious counselling to change his behaviour. Unless, and until that happens, he should not be holding the position that he does at any professional football club.

• Like 1