onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Barton

Advert

Seems like a loopy family. Was discussing Barton with my colleague yesterday and I didn't know he had a brother and cousin sent down for murder. They followed a guy around in a car and put an ice axe in his head because he was black.

It is a blight on football that a man with more than one criminal conviction for violence, including violence in a football environment can be employed as a manager.  Added to this is his wanton disregard for the internal rules on gambling in football.

How can any football club reassure parents of young players that their son (and daughter) will be well looked after, supported, and valued by any club that seeks to employ someone with this record of past misdemeanours in its most important and prominent position in the club.

He is not being victimised for a one off lapse of judgement, or a one off action when the red mist descended.  The Football Association should have a fitness to manage test before agreeing that anyone can be appointed to such a position by a club within their purview.

For those who say innocent until proven guilty, I am not talking about his current arrest. My comments are based entirely on his record to date for events for which he has been proven guilty.  

The current situation is a case of domestic violence where the victim has not formally complained.  That happens often in domestic violence cases where the alleged perpetrator has a record of past violence and the alleged victim is too traumatised to formalise a complaint.  Without any doubt at all, Mr Barton's profile matches that description.

That man needs some serious counselling to change his behaviour. Unless, and until that happens, he should not be holding the position that he does at any professional football club.

It's causing uproar on the Rovers forum. I'm pleased to see that the overwhelming majority of their fans think that if he's found guilty of domestic violence, he should be dismissed straight away.

I think it's a dreadful position for their fans as he's not been found guilty but has two pending court dates so this is going to drag on. That's got to disrupt their preparations and potentially derail their season if he does leave following either one of them.

I feel sorry for their fans - they didn't appoint their manager and it seems many were against the decision - but I'm very glad we didn't touch Barton with a bargepole when it came to picking our next manager. 

4 hours ago, Santa said:

Bristol Rovers issued a statement yesterday. There’s a ropey bit in the middle that their local paper wouldn’t print for legal reasons.

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2021/july/joey-barton-statement-update/

Are those the “victimless crime” related sentences? What the hell is a victimless crime in relation to what he has been charged with? 

3 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Are those the “victimless crime” related sentences? What the hell is a victimless crime in relation to what he has been charged with? 

It's a weird legalese way of saying the wife doesn't want to give evidence. 

• 1 month later...

After they scraped a draw with ten-man Barrow Barton gave a quite extraordinary post-match interview in which he seems to have used every excuse in the book:

It's not his fault and it's all the fault of other (unnamed depts in the club):

"You can clearly see that there have been long-running issues at the club; stuff that in my opinion has been really negligent and poor and certain departments."

He's a "winner" despite four wins in seventeen games:

"It’s frustrating. I like winning games of football as a coach. I’ve been a lot more used to that than I have since I came to the football club"

There's the arrogant boasting:

"I don’t think there is a better-placed man in English football to turn this club around."

There's the self-obsession (bet Rovers fans are delighted they are just stepping stone for the great Joey):

"I’ve got my professional life at stake here because if I can’t get Bristol Rovers promoted out of this division, I’m not going to get the top jobs I want, I’m not going to get to work up the food chain for these big clubs."

There's the self-pity (he's been there for six months how long does it take to rent a flat):

"I only moved into my flat on Monday, I’ve been living out of the boot of my car for the last six or seven weeks."

Finally, there's the Trump-esque alternative facts. On the 11th Aug Barton said "I know we’re going to get promoted. I have no doubt about that" now he says:

"I’ve been beating a drum saying this is not going to be easy, this is not going to be straightforward."

At least we can all be grateful he's not our manager!

Basically, he's a vile little wrong 'un who had a great footballing talent.

People get taken in by his utter drivel and, hence, he gets management jobs.

Only in football.

The fella can't help his upbringing, which was likely exceptionally tough, but he doesn't exactly help himself.

14 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Basically, he's a vile little wrong 'un who had a great footballing talent.

People get taken in by his utter drivel and, hence, he gets management jobs.

Only in football.

The fella can't help his upbringing, which was likely exceptionally tough, but he doesn't exactly help himself.

Think you're giving him a bit too much credit. He was a decent player. Nowhere near as good as he believed himself to be.

And there's plenty of people who've had really tough upbringings who aren't complete scumbags basically. 

7 hours ago, Beech said:

Think you're giving him a bit too much credit. He was a decent player. Nowhere near as good as he believed himself to be.

And there's plenty of people who've had really tough upbringings who aren't complete scumbags basically. 

Yes, I agree, that was far too lenient. 

7 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Yes, I agree, that was far too lenient. 

Sad thing is, despite so many silly decisions and rushes of blood to the head, Barton is far from stupid. He can come across as a fairly intelligent guy at times, when he's not snarling, but that only makes some of his decisions even more silly.

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting comments in a fan's article here:

To quote...

The Rovers manager was delusional in his words after the match. I sat in disbelief as he started the presser by claiming that there wasn’t that much in it on Saturday. Was he watching a different game? We were 3-0 down at half time, gifting the opposition their offensive position and made mistake after mistake.

His comments sparked laughter and fury in equal measure and he grew similar responses again when he tried to turn a horror show into a positive, pointing out we won the second half. We lost the game and he should have been less bullish in his remarks, which was further evident when he repeated his promotion rhetoric. He surely has to regret claiming he’ll get us promoted this season when all that is between us and non-league are Scunthorpe and Oldham...

I’m starting to wonder too if there are problems elsewhere in the club. Since the much revered days of Darrell Clarke and Graham Coughlan, three straight managers have failed to turn Rovers around. 

• 1 month later...

Archived