onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Sheff Wed (friendly)

robf

I love the fact that we can have a genuine debate about Jones vs Benning rather than the one where we try and decide if our Left back is actually a left back at all!

Personally I think the debate extends to Jones vs Johnson too.... I think Benning will start, he is an experienced, and very good left back for this league. I would class him as one of our marquee signings.

But I also see how Jones is a key piece of the puzzle with his long throw... Notice how the pitch has been narrowed, I bet its to get the most out of those throws a la Tozer at Cheltenham.

On a side note, Im loving the Sh*thousery of DC.... Stated publicly that he probably wont play 3 at the back and will be making the pitch bigger! hahahah

Advert

2 minutes ago, Emile said:

He really doesn't fit in. DC barely played him last season and when we did he did nothing. I can see him leaving before the season starts.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong.

The Taylor one is fascinating... I fear you may be right and he doesnt fit into the picture. Although I think he would be a decent back up to play the advanced point of the midfield 3 (such as Conlon played last night).

One possibility, and this is just me thinking positively on his behalf is that he had Covid last year... I have just gone through a bout of it and if it was anything like mine where I struggled to get my hands above my head and was in bed for 7 days (under 40 and no serious health conditions before anyone asks) then I can absolutely see how he would struggle to get back to the fitness required while we were in the battle we were.

If we then say that this injury may be genuine, then it could be that Jake is just seriously unlucky.

But who knows.

I thought that we played some tidy football against a good team. Plenty of sides that the midfield are clicking already and loved the press with 3-4 going at the same time rather than letting the centre forward chase on his own. The back 3 looked solid and was very impressed with Johnson. Martin looks like he will eat headers if we meet "standard" league 2 teams. We need to work on getting the front 2 into the box more and make sure that the back 3 & wing back figure out how to defend against overlaps, but a steady start and one of the better friendlies for a long time

28 minutes ago, Emile said:

He really doesn't fit in. DC barely played him last season and when we did he did nothing. I can see him leaving before the season starts.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong.

I think that he is in a difficult position - he is really fighting for the Conlon role and he isn't going to win there. I think that (assuming that Conlon presses on and moves up the leagues at some point), the best thing that Taylor can do is to get his head down, learn and impress DC sot hat he is ready for injuries, suspensions etc. he has a long contract and can afford to learn ... if his attitude is right.

Always nice to see the ref fall over and the accompanying cheer. It doesn’t  happen all that often these days.

I thought he was having a decent game until near the end. He must have been a bit bored when he made an example of their keeper and gave us an indirect free kick. 

I did think that signing Taylor to a three and half year deal when there was no DoF or manager seemed a bit strange. Who signed it off? Pugh? The six-month Guthrie, Scott, Olagunju, and Swan signings were fine as they were just bodies to get us through the season and could be dispensed with ease. 

I like the lad but was never quite as enamoured as some, and three (Crewe, Orient, Swindon) memorable goals overshadowed what were, in my view, fairly functional League 2 midfield performances and little more.

He'll need to be patient as he's not going to dislodge any of the middle three last night without injuries/suspensions, and I would imagine Garrity has been brought in to actively compete for minutes and not be a Papa Johns man. 

Once fit Taylor has a lot to offer the team over the season and even if not fully fit for the big kick off having a class midfielder with box-to-box energy and a quality skill set that includes touch,vision,passing and most importantly goals....in summary; potentially the best midfielder at the club.

With the pace of the modern game and the fitness required for the high press and the amount of games (50 plus league and cup) it is very much a squad game with three subs and not just about a settled starting eleven week in week out month after month....Taylor and Garrity will get games....and our manager is a renowned "tinkerman" (copyright Leicester City).

38 minutes ago, Row L said:

We need to work on getting the front 2 into the box more and make sure that the back 3 & wing back figure out how to defend against overlaps, but a steady start and one of the better friendlies for a long time

Another positive of narrowing the pitch is it lessens the space for teams to attack that behind the wingbacks. Easier for the 3 to cover.

5 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Just seen Wednesday's winner on this video (0:10 seconds in) - doubtful we'll come across that kind of quality in L2 with the backheel, composure and finish!

Anyone got a video of our goals?

our media team doing another grand job! oh no its radio sheffield🤥

No Leon Legge I see again he is a leader in both boxes along with Worrall and Conlon be first name on team majority of games in my opinion .

Watched it on a stream as working nights and couldn't really be bothered for a friendly ,thought we were not good enough on a whole on what I could see although we passed it well at times and second half did better in terms of keeping the ball but Sheffield Wednesday exploited too easily on occasions and we missed Leon's win everything aerially from there set pieces .

It's hard tell from the stream from the 

Lorne Street though so even though I watched it was hard see up the away end ,crowd was quiet need more anger and up for it Ness when season starts .

Just brought a season ticket first one in about 5 years stopped getting one after disgracefully losing 5-0 at home to Walsall last game years ago no idea when just had 10 gamers since,l so let's hope the players have a great campaign and the fanbase are more agitated and spur the players on to better .

UTV 

57 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

No Leon Legge I see again he is a leader in both boxes along with Worrall and Conlon be first name on team majority of games in my opinion .

Watched it on a stream as working nights and couldn't really be bothered for a friendly ,thought we were not good enough on a whole on what I could see although we passed it well at times and second half did better in terms of keeping the ball but Sheffield Wednesday exploited too easily on occasions and we missed Leon's win everything aerially from there set pieces .

Lorne Street though so even though I watched it was hard see up the away end ,crowd was quiet need more anger and up for it Ness when season starts .

Just brought a season ticket first one in about 5 years stopped getting one after disgracefully losing 5-0 at home to Walsall last game years ago no idea when just had 10 gamers since,l so let's hope the players have a great campaign and the fanbase are more agitated and spur the players on to better .

UTV 

What a weird take of a friendly that is, and to focus on Legge so much? Thought Martin and Johnson were decent actually, bit poor from set pieces but in general an upgrade.

And to have a dig at the fans as well without actually being there yourself?  Be more agitated at a pre-season friendly? Oright pal.

Lads were decent I thought, not much to worry about - don't get what the fuss is all about.

Nice little friendly and good to be familiar with the bycars again.

UTV 

How did you watch it on a stream? I thought there was no stream?

Archived