onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Sheff Wed (friendly)

robf

Advert

9 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

On a positive note , the Railway Stand bogs were flooded . Nothing changes

it would also help if someone had the keys to open the gates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😁

8 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

My views so far, I don’t think we will concede many, I’m not the biggest fan of 352 / 532 and wing backs. I think it’s quite easy to play against and quite often your back 3 can become a back 5. I do find it slightly odd that Clarke criticised askey for a one dimensional squad, yet seems to be doing the same? 

Disagree. Askey assembled a squad that could only play 433 due to the profile of the midfield.

We could have very easily switched to 442, 4231, or 433 last night, and we saw last season that Clarke isn't afraid to do so, sometimes within games.

If 352 works, then we don't need to change it, but the option is clearly there. 

One thing we do lack is real pace in the side. Having Benning back in the 11 will help a little, but other than Rodney we don't have much pace about us at all. I still think we're a striker short but I think Clarke knows that anyway, which is the most important thing. We have the best midfield three in League Two, or at least right up there, and the spine of he team is genuinely excellent.

51 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Just seen Wednesday's winner on this video (0:10 seconds in) - doubtful we'll come across that kind of quality in L2 with the backheel, composure and finish!

Anyone got a video of our goals?

Comes across really well.

To be fair that second they scored was a goal worthy of winning any game. They had a bit more quality than us throughout the game, as to be expected for a League One side that look like they'll soon get out of that league, but won't have come off the pitch thinking it was a walk in the park.

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Disagree. Askey assembled a squad that could only play 433 due to the profile of the midfield.

We could have very easily switched to 442, 4231, or 433 last night, and we saw last season that Clarke isn't afraid to do so, sometimes within games.

If 352 works, then we don't need to change it, but the option is clearly there. 

We did actually play both 352 and later on 442 after Cass came on. Think there is plenty of flexibility in that squad.

Overall, didn’t think that there was that much between the two teams.

Thought our midfield played well and pretty much held their own. Even, at times, bossed the game.

Defensively, we looked decent (apart from set pieces/crosses - more work to do there) with Martin leading the line well. Both Martin and Johnson looked comfortable bringing the ball out and finding a man. 

Upfront, Rodders worked hard and made a nuisance of himself. We need to get Wilson more involved, which I reckon we will against the majority of L2 opposition. Also, need to get the wing backs further up and find them quicker. Thought we did that with Dan Jones in first half but Benning didn’t really get in the game.

On other points, keeper looked decent and Cass looked ok for his first start. Fitness levels also looked good. Overall, lots of positives.

13 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

Only vale fans would call for theo to be given another chance after the two worst stints from a striker ive ever seen in my time watching vale

Nobody is calling for Theo coming back, I was being factitious. The guy is a total donkey and my previous posts on wanting him gone make that clear. 

Good news that the club will certainly be signing another striker before kick off.

........................................................Covalan................................................

.....................................Smith.............Legge...........Johnson......................

Worrall.........................Pett..............Walker..........Conlon..............Benning

.............................................Wilson..............Rodney.....................................

Guesswork at the starting eleven thinking the only two questions are over the back three and thinking Legge will start as leader at the back for the start of the season and Johnson will play....the midfield three are probably the best in the division as is the quality of service from wide with the quality of Worral and Benning at wing back and if Wilson and Rodney can click early then the season can really take off.

4 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Good news that the club will certainly be signing another striker before kick off.

........................................................Covalan................................................

.....................................Smith.............Legge...........Johnson......................

Worrall.........................Pett..............Walker..........Conlon..............Benning

.............................................Wilson..............Rodney.....................................

Guesswork at the starting eleven thinking the only two questions are over the back three and thinking Legge will start as leader at the back for the start of the season and Johnson will play....the midfield three are probably the best in the division as is the quality of service from wide with the quality of Worral and Benning at wing back and if Wilson and Rodney can click early then the season can really take off.

I think last night's team will be the one we start with, with the only question being Benning or Jones at LWB. Benning probably offers more going forward but Jones' throw is an advantage and he linked up very nicely in advanced areas. 

The Wilson-Rodney partnership will dictate whether we are a solid top-half team or a playoff team, in my view. Double figures from both of them and we should be looking at the top 7. Another forward to push them, alongside Proctor, is the main priority now. 

I don’t think that Benning is nailed at LWB. I thought Jones played well last night and he can switch to left centre back as he did last night.

I would start with the same back 3 as last night. Martin and Johnson looked comfortable on the ball as well as with their distribution.

25 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Still no Taylor? That must be some knock he's picked up.

He really doesn't fit in. DC barely played him last season and when we did he did nothing. I can see him leaving before the season starts.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong.

Archived