onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nick Cave is playing Hanley

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

I think there's good argument to be made for Cave being one of the greatest living songwriters, certainly contemporary ones. Warren Ellis is one of the few artists that I would pay money just to listen to the stuff he says in between songs. I didn't really like Grinderman but Dirty Three are an incredible band.

On 21/07/2021 at 22:25, mr.hobblesworth said:

And Aylesbury!

Some other odd venues on the tour he's doing with Warren Ellis. Anyone going? Think tickets are quite pricey but sure they'll get snapped up smartish. Should be good to see him in a smaller venue now that he generally does arenas.

I am booked in at the Aylesbury gig. I can actually walk to the venue from my house.

I love Nick Cave BTW. I agree the Carnage album is great.

Booked in for the Hanley gig.

£70 bit pricey but I can't see there being too any opportunities to go and see him locally will come up again.

Think Manic Street Preachers are playing Hanley this year as well.

Good to see some big names playing Stoke-on-Trent again.

• 1 month later...

** Spoiler alert - shares setlist for current tour **

Just back from the Aylesbury gig which I absolutely adored. I don't think it's going to be to everyone's taste as there a lot of Ghosteen in there with a central section of introspective piano-based songs but I loved it and I noticed that unusually for a gig the audience was completely rapt at times and there were tears flowing ("Waiting for you" got me). 

If you're looking for the bold, brash Cave then the likes of White Elephant, Hand of God and (highlight of the show for me) Hollywood will be up your street. If you're looking for the fragile, balladeer then Balcony Man, Galleon Ship and a superb cover of T-Rex's Cosmic Dancer are the ones to watch out for. 

However, don't think it's going to be dominated by maudlin songs and despairing, there were plenty of jokes and interplay, particularly on a couple of false starts and Warren Ellis counting in a 4/4 song in 3/4 by mistake. 

I absolutely loved it. It was intimate, thought-provoking, courageous, and inspiring. I hope those of you going up 'Anley on Tuesday night enjoy it just as much. 

IMG20210905221241.thumb.jpg.7d5896b8cb2d105a554d77c4587277a5.jpg

9 hours ago, robf said:

** Spoiler alert - shares setlist for current tour **

Just back from the Aylesbury gig which I absolutely adored. I don't think it's going to be to everyone's taste as there a lot of Ghosteen in there with a central section of introspective piano-based songs but I loved it and I noticed that unusually for a gig the audience was completely rapt at times and there were tears flowing ("Waiting for you" got me). 

If you're looking for the bold, brash Cave then the likes of White Elephant, Hand of God and (highlight of the show for me) Hollywood will be up your street. If you're looking for the fragile, balladeer then Balcony Man, Galleon Ship and a superb cover of T-Rex's Cosmic Dancer are the ones to watch out for. 

However, don't think it's going to be dominated by maudlin songs and despairing, there were plenty of jokes and interplay, particularly on a couple of false starts and Warren Ellis counting in a 4/4 song in 3/4 by mistake. 

I absolutely loved it. It was intimate, thought-provoking, courageous, and inspiring. I hope those of you going up 'Anley on Tuesday night enjoy it just as much. 

IMG20210905221241.thumb.jpg.7d5896b8cb2d105a554d77c4587277a5.jpg

can he score goals?????????????????????😊

Archived