Match thread: Port Vale v Nottingham Forest (friendly)

robf

Advert:

I'd have hated play in that heat today .

Didn't watch it apart the last 5 mins so cannot judge and to be honest the higher level team who keeps the ball is always going be more at ease in hot weather than the plucky we will play for long throws team and try nick a goal team .

2-0 after 26 mins on a hiding to nothing and that was the case .

• Like 1

Not sure what some people were expecting in that heat.  Once Forest took the lead we were chasing shadows for a lot of the time and it just became too much.  We played quite well first half I thought.

If I had a couple of criticisms I’d say we were a bit wasteful with the ball and how we conceded the 2 goals was fairly poor, although the first was a good strike.  Other than that there were positives, until we ran out of gas.

• Like 1

Having been up early I fell asleep second half which I think says it all about how arsed I am about the result of that game.

Anyone unironically losing the plot after losing a pre-season friendly in outrageous summer heat to a championship side when the Vale team was made up of unfamiliar players playing an unfamiliar formation including a centre mid out of his comfort zone at RB needs help. 

• Like 1

Think DC's interview pretty much sums it up perfectly. Not good enough, lots of work to do and the team looked shattered. But that's what pre seasons is all about, getting these performances out the way. 

Positive is that we should here some news on the trialist Dyer, Solanke, Griffiths and Lennon in the coming days. 

Edited by Walka003
  • Like 1

Advert:

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

I'm almost looking forward to us losing on Day 1. Be absolute turmoil on here. Proper headloss in all quarters. Grown men making a right show of themselves. Will crack open a beer and enjoy. 

Maybe people will post a lengthy whinge and then flounce.

12 hours ago, rob1983 said:

Is it just me or does flitcroft just talk a good game. Talked himself into the cushy job. Not seen nowt to change my mind.

You can’t be for real? He’s been in the role now for 6 months. In that period he’s appointed Clarke; appointed Crosby; helped bridge the gap between the academy and the first team by appointing Rooney; made plans for a new training ground; he’s been a part of the overhaul of a new squad (releasing 15 and signing 12); and there is probably a hell of a lot behind the scenes which we just simply don’t see. 

Give the bloke time to implement his ideas, we’ve not played a competitive game in over two months. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, LancyTony said:

They were a very good team, I thought? Even these youngsters will get 1st team minutes, at some stage of the season. Well-drilled and comfortable on the ball.

Indeed it was - their best player, that speedy winger, hadn’t played in that last game I mentioned but had been involved in nearly 30 games last season. My analysis of their team was clearly rubbish!  

9 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Think DC's interview pretty much sums it up perfectly. Not good enough, lots of work to do and the team looked shattered. But that's what pre seasons is all about, getting these performances out the way. 

Positive is that we should here some news on the trialist Dyer, Solanke, Griffiths and Lennon in the coming days. 

Dyer has been let go

12 hours ago, valeblue said:

One season didn’t we win every friendly easily and go down and another season got promoted when not winning a single friendly? I’m not concerned put it that way 

We won or drew every pre-season game in 2007-08 under Tin Foyle but had such a terrible start to the season he was gone by the end of September. I remember thinking what a good season we were going to have. Little did I know - we were relegated.

So pre-season tells us a bit but not a lot!

Advert:

It's a friendly so you can't take a lot from it but I liked the look of Pett and Benning. Flashes of what Wilson can do and Proctor looks like he'd cause problems for defenders. Overall I'd say we have upgraded. Would have liked to seen both keepers in action a bit more.

It's a friendly so you can't take a lot from it but I liked the look of Pett and Benning. Flashes of what Wilson can do and Proctor looks like he'd cause problems for defenders. Overall I'd say we have upgraded. Would have liked to seen both keepers in action a bit more.

I too liked the look of Pett, but not Benning. Thought he looked quite poor, particularly defensively, given he's supposed to be L1 level. Jones' distribution was Mills/Crookesesque at times. Proctor impressed me, and he looked a real proper target man. Friendlies mean nowt though, particularly ones played in heat like yesterday, so I'll reserve judgment on all players until at least November

Regardless of the performance yesterday, anyone that doesn't think that the likes of Martin, Belling, Walker, Pett and Wilson aren't a big upgrade on Brisley, Fitzpatrick, Joyce, Oyeleke, and Cullen need their heads examining. 

We've made some excellent signings. Not all of them will be a resounding success of course. But our best business of the summer could well be keeping Conlon and Worrall.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 1

Regardless of the performance yesterday, anyone that doesn't think that the likes of Martin, Belling, Walker, Pett and Wilson aren't a big upgrade on Brisley, Fitzpatrick, Joyce, Oyeleke, and Cullen need their heads examining. 
We've made some excellent signings. Not all of them will be a resounding success of course. But our best business of the summer could well be keeping Conlon and Worrall.
If people are going to be called to account for making early negative judgments on players without a reasonable number of competitive games gone, you can't in the same breath pronounce a conclusively positive judgment and question the mental state of all those who have a different opinion or, indeed, no opinion at all yet.
  • Like 1

Advert:

12 minutes ago, Beech said:

That’s all very well saying that but where we end up in the table will decide that. If we’re pushing for promotion then you’d be correct. Also where do you think Worrall fits in with this formation and the players he’s signed to fill these roles? At the moment i prob have us finishing around 10th. 

5 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

That’s all very well saying that but where we end up in the table will decide that. If we’re pushing for promotion then you’d be correct. Also where do you think Worrall fits in with this formation and the players he’s signed to fill these roles? At the moment i prob have us finishing around 10th. 

Think I will wait until the beginning of October to assess how building a team around Conlon is progressing. We may be delighted by then or still apprehensive, interesting times.