Match thread: Port Vale v Nottingham Forest (friendly)

robf

3 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

We look absolutely knackered… heat and chasing the ball round will be a big part of that.

I always wonder how much they have been flogged going into the game in pre season too.

3 weeks to go so hopefully we can get up to speed before Northampton. On a positive note by now in pre season we would usually have at least a couple of hamstring injuries to manage....

46 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I don't suppose there's any chance but the impressive Alex Mighten on loan would surely solve our wide left issue.

Mighten started 13 and 11 as sub last season. No way he’d be allowed out on loan. 

58 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I don't suppose there's any chance but the impressive Alex Mighten on loan would surely solve our wide left issue.

Commentator saying he will be pushing for 1st team place this season, so I don't think so.  He has been class today and hopefully we may be able to get some loan players from Notts Forest may be?  Now Championship clubs can see we are now run properly and our owners look after loan players well.

Great to watch Vale play again.  Team seem to be gelling well and hopefully DC and Co will see where we need to improve and the players get to know each others playing styles better.  Looking positive for the new season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Commentator saying he will be pushing for 1st team place this season, so I don't think so.  He has been class today and hopefully we may be able to get some loan players from Notts Forest may be?  Now Championship clubs can see we are now run properly and our owners look after loan players well.

Yes, my thoughts exactly - bit of wishful thinking on my part but we may indeed be able to get one or two Forest players on loan. Today's bunch looked really good and they came over as a very professional outfit. Good work out for us though against a much better side. 

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 2

The heat had a big part to play but other than Rodney i did think we lacked pace,hopefully the next couple of signings will solve that.

Its what happens in the first game of the season thats important though

Not very Good - A bad choice of Strip for a VERY hot day ! ALL BLACK -It should have been ALL WHITE or at least White Shirts. Inaccurate passing, very few shots or headers on target, They won't get in the Play-offs with that quality of football, very disappointing.

• Like 2

Way of the pace today. Forest were far superior.
Midfield worked hard.
Plenty of sloppy passes especially out from the back.
Luckily there are no Forest teams in league 2.
It will take time for the new team to build and take shape.
There will be plenty of highs and lows this season I'm sure.

• Like 1

Decent workout in conditions which were far from ideal.  You could see the gulf in class, and we ran out of steam as the game wore on, but there were some encouraging signs.

Still think we need another one or two attacking players in the squad before the season proper.

41 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

We look absolutely knackered… heat and chasing the ball round will be a big part of that.

I always wonder how much they have been flogged going into the game in pre season too.

They’ve been totally flogged. That’s the whole point of preseason, it’s way more intense than when when the season actually starts. When the season does begin  they will then be just topping up during the week with training, and their match fitness will come from the games. 

• Like 1

Neat and tidy for the most part in midfield and there is some quality there but we definitely need more upfront if we are to challenge at the right end of the table consistently.  Forest were good and very hot day so not easy but plenty to work on.  Guess that just shows the gulf between the top 2 divisions (and even their academy graduates) and the lower leagues these days.

• Like 1

Don’t agree that the point of pre season is to completely knacker the players. The point is to get them match fit. 

Think we need some pace in the side, other than Rodney we seemed very one paced. Definitely still need at least one more attacking player. 

• Like 1

Not very Good - A bad choice of Strip for a VERY hot day ! ALL BLACK -It should have been ALL WHITE or at least White Shirts. Inaccurate passing, very few shots or headers on target, They won't get in the Play-offs with that quality of football, very disappointing.

Almost as if we were playing against a team 2 leagues above us wasn’t it
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

3-4-3 wouldn't be my choice of formation.

Despite being largely outplayed we could have gone in 2-2 at half-time on another day. Second half we huffed and puffed without doing anything but we won't play a better side than Forest all season in League Two obviously.

One thing I did notice today was a lack of pace in the side as a whole, and especially at the back. Still, nothing to be too concerned about today. We certainly need another striker though.

Edited by Beech