onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Port Vale v Nottingham Forest (friendly)

robf

It's a friendly so you can't take a lot from it but I liked the look of Pett and Benning. Flashes of what Wilson can do and Proctor looks like he'd cause problems for defenders. Overall I'd say we have upgraded. Would have liked to seen both keepers in action a bit more.

I too liked the look of Pett, but not Benning. Thought he looked quite poor, particularly defensively, given he's supposed to be L1 level. Jones' distribution was Mills/Crookesesque at times. Proctor impressed me, and he looked a real proper target man. Friendlies mean nowt though, particularly ones played in heat like yesterday, so I'll reserve judgment on all players until at least November

Advert

Regardless of the performance yesterday, anyone that doesn't think that the likes of Martin, Belling, Walker, Pett and Wilson aren't a big upgrade on Brisley, Fitzpatrick, Joyce, Oyeleke, and Cullen need their heads examining. 

We've made some excellent signings. Not all of them will be a resounding success of course. But our best business of the summer could well be keeping Conlon and Worrall.

Regardless of the performance yesterday, anyone that doesn't think that the likes of Martin, Belling, Walker, Pett and Wilson aren't a big upgrade on Brisley, Fitzpatrick, Joyce, Oyeleke, and Cullen need their heads examining. 
We've made some excellent signings. Not all of them will be a resounding success of course. But our best business of the summer could well be keeping Conlon and Worrall.
If people are going to be called to account for making early negative judgments on players without a reasonable number of competitive games gone, you can't in the same breath pronounce a conclusively positive judgment and question the mental state of all those who have a different opinion or, indeed, no opinion at all yet.

12 minutes ago, Beech said:

That’s all very well saying that but where we end up in the table will decide that. If we’re pushing for promotion then you’d be correct. Also where do you think Worrall fits in with this formation and the players he’s signed to fill these roles? At the moment i prob have us finishing around 10th. 

5 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

That’s all very well saying that but where we end up in the table will decide that. If we’re pushing for promotion then you’d be correct. Also where do you think Worrall fits in with this formation and the players he’s signed to fill these roles? At the moment i prob have us finishing around 10th. 

Think I will wait until the beginning of October to assess how building a team around Conlon is progressing. We may be delighted by then or still apprehensive, interesting times.

47 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Think I will wait until the beginning of October to assess how building a team around Conlon is progressing. We may be delighted by then or still apprehensive, interesting times.

Yes agree with that. Conlon will need to be at his best again along with Pett and hopefully the goals will come again in Wilson and Rodney. Tricky start on paper so important if we have a bad start to keep their heads up. 

I still think you take Worrall out the team and take Legge out the leading role in the 3 at the back then its hardly surprising they lost .

They are 2 very influential players we have a lot of work to do no goals in 2 games v Fleetwood and Notts Forest and 3 very poor goals conceded from a defensive point of view v the 2 of them .

I  guess we will have to grow into the season but thats better than starting like a house on fire so to speak then becoming a damp squib  as season progresses .

1 hour ago, sandyford_valiant said:

Well, personally I think the middle of the park is our strongest area now and we should look to set the formation around Conlon, Pett and Walker. I'd like to see a wing-back 5-3-2 formation, or it can be seen as a 3-5-2. Worrall and Benning as the wing-backs. The three players above in the middle of the park. Then a back three from Smith, Legge, Martin, Johnson, Cass and Gibbons etc. I think we looked a bit slow there yesterday with who started so I hope Johnson and Cass have a bit of pace. I think it will be Smith, Martin and Johnson who start.

Lucas

Worrall

Smith

Martin

Johnson

Benning

Walker

Pett

Conlon

Rodney

Wilson

On paper that 11 looks far stronger than what we could put out last season, in my opinion.

Well, personally I think the middle of the park is our strongest area now and we should look to set the formation around Conlon, Pett and Walker. I'd like to see a wing-back 5-3-2 formation, or it can be seen as a 3-5-2. Worrall and Benning as the wing-backs. The three players above in the middle of the park. Then a back three from Smith, Legge, Martin, Johnson, Cass and Gibbons etc. I think we looked a bit slow there yesterday with who started so I hope Johnson and Cass have a bit of pace. I think it will be Smith, Martin and Johnson who start.

Lucas
Worrall
Smith
Martin
Johnson
Benning
Walker
Pett
Conlon
Rodney
Wilson

On paper that 11 looks far stronger than what we could put out last season, in my opinion.
Key phrase there is 'on paper'. We'll all have to wait and see

22 minutes ago, philmpv said:
28 minutes ago, Beech said:

Lucas
Worrall
Smith
Martin
Johnson
Benning
Walker
Pett
Conlon
Rodney
Wilson

Yeah, I'm not taking it as a given that we're gonna storm the league or anything. I still think there's not enough goals in the side for what would be ideal. We're going to be reliant on being extremely solid and keeping a lot of clean sheets to win games. But if there are a bunch of better looking teams in the league then we're in a very strong League Two this year.

9 hours ago, Beech said:

Yeah, I'm not taking it as a given that we're gonna storm the league or anything. I still think there's not enough goals in the side for what would be ideal. We're going to be reliant on being extremely solid and keeping a lot of clean sheets to win games. But if there are a bunch of better looking teams in the league then we're in a very strong League Two this year.

I think it will be strong.  A lot of teams seem to have done good business from what I can see.  Also many teams have done the same as ourselves, completely rebuilt, or are in the process of doing so, so it’ll be hard to judge who the contenders are until a fair few fixtures have been played, and even then someone may have a late run like Bolton did last year.

16 hours ago, sandyford_valiant said:

I posed the same question after the kidsgrove game because we have a few midfielders. I think if we go into the season playing 3-4-3 then worralls either going to be right wing back or playing off the right of the front man. Looked like Conlon played that role yesterday with free license to do what he pleases from there, which will at times will leave the right wing back exposed.  Also will Clarke continue with pett and Walker as the 2 centre mids that with us even less room for the more attacking players in the side.

10 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think it will be strong.  A lot of teams seem to have done good business from what I can see.  Also many teams have done the same as ourselves, completely rebuilt, or are in the process of doing so, so it’ll be hard to judge who the contenders are until a fair few fixtures have been played, and even then someone may have a late run like Bolton did last year.

Always feel that when you just replace 5/6 players you tend to think you have some idea what to expect next season. We replaced significantly more of the team and rightly so in my opinion. Looks like we have made some decent signings. Appreciate its not all about goals , a decent defence is required too, but its goals that get you promoted. DC talks about spreading the goals around the team but I am hoping its our forwards that fire us to promotion.

On 18/07/2021 at 14:17, philmpv said:
On 18/07/2021 at 14:12, Beech said:

Lucas
Worrall
Smith
Martin
Johnson
Benning
Walker
Pett
Conlon
Rodney
Wilson

proctor will do more work than wilson-discuss!😉:drink:

Archived