onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Port Vale v Nottingham Forest (friendly)

robf

16 minutes ago, Beech said:

Nothing quite like going way over the top.

Whilst I agree about it being a friendly etc… it’s a fair enough question. Why did we wear black and why did we not think it wouldn’t be a good idea in near 30 degree heat???

Advert

I haven't watched today but I've struggled on a light stroll in the shade, so I imagine chasing a Championship side around didn't look great.

Said it for a few weeks; this is a team built primarily to play with wing-backs. Conlon and Rodney seemed to have started on the side of their weaker foot, allowing them to cut inside and play in the channels. The wing-backs, who I imagine will be Worrall and Benning with back ups of Hurst, Gibbons, Cass, and Jones, will provide the width. Your middle centre half is Martin/Legge, your RCB is Smith/Cass, and your LCB is Jones/Johnson. 

Played OK today. Main concerns are that we don't look very mobile in the middle if anyone with a bit of pace gets past them they will have a free run at the defence. We are very reliant on Rodney and we look low on numbers. I'm optimistic for the season ahead.

I thought overall it was a very good learning experience for the team. It’s true they looked knackered at the end but they will take a lot out of that in terms of work without the ball. The good news is there won’t be any teams anywhere close to Forests ability we come up against in our league.

As mentioned above Pett looks a fantastic addition. Just seems always in control. Really liked Garritys enthusiasm too at RWB. Needs to develop the technical side but it was his hard work and endeavour that set up Wilson’s chance in the first half so well done him too.

1 hour ago, Pheonix Vale said:

Not very Good - A bad choice of Strip for a VERY hot day ! ALL BLACK -It should have been ALL WHITE or at least White Shirts. Inaccurate passing, very few shots or headers on target, They won't get in the Play-offs with that quality of football, very disappointing.

It wasn't good to watch today but i dont think we can say we will or wont be in the play offs after viewing one friendly kick around in really hot weather.... as i said earlier play like that in the first few games then it will be a concern but with 3 weeks to go and a couple more friendlys for fitness,a couple more signings i aren't worried right now

2 minutes ago, vale victory said:

more attacking threats needed in the team , they looked absolutely knackered but we have to be more creative going forward and hopefully we gel quickly

in 28deg heat, theyt  be knackered matey!😄

3 minutes ago, vale victory said:

more attacking threats needed in the team , they looked absolutely knackered but we have to be more creative going forward and hopefully we gel quickly

23 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Whilst I agree about it being a friendly etc… it’s a fair enough question. Why did we wear black and why did we not think it wouldn’t be a good idea in near 30 degree heat???

its all part of the matrix!😜

I think Walker if he can stay fit will be a very good addition to the team,some of his long range passing was effortless just seemed to swing a foot at it and wallop straight to the intended target although he did tire later in the game. I thought Cass might have got on for a few minutes 

2 hours ago, Pheonix Vale said:

Not very Good - A bad choice of Strip for a VERY hot day ! ALL BLACK -It should have been ALL WHITE or at least White Shirts. Inaccurate passing, very few shots or headers on target, They won't get in the Play-offs with that quality of football, very disappointing.

Looking purely at what I saw from that game, I do agree. The black shirts thing seemed stupid given the heat, as it does make a difference. 

As for the performance, I don’t see much evidence of the squad being as big an improvement on last seasons as was needed. 

Very early days of course but the gap between ourselves and Forest did seem rather big. 

4 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Quite a weak Forest team. Only two of the starters started their last game of last season and four more were on the bench then. 

They were a very good team, I thought? Even these youngsters will get 1st team minutes, at some stage of the season. Well-drilled and comfortable on the ball.

Archived