onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Fleetwood Town v Port Vale friendly

robf

7 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

That's two pre season defeats not that the results matter .

Just a slight worry there ain't enough goals in us there will not be if emphasis is on defending .

Hope the blueprint is not for example the Morecambe game at home where we somehow won I'd like it be something along the lines of the Oldham game at home where chances were unlimited and the best form of  defence was attack .

Yeah I'm with you when I look through our squad I dont think there's enough goals in there. If we want make the top 7 by the looks of it we will have to do it winning games by the odd goal 1 nil or 2 1.

Advert

36 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

Yeah I'm with you when I look through our squad I dont think there's enough goals in there. If we want make the top 7 by the looks of it we will have to do it winning games by the odd goal 1 nil or 2 1.

It’s a bit too early to make a judgement.  For what it’s worth we’ve scored goals in the other games and with a bit better luck with the woodwork would’ve scored today.

A fit Rodney will be a big threat this coming season that’s for sure.

1 hour ago, Andy Proctor said:

Yeah I'm with you when I look through our squad I dont think there's enough goals in there. If we want make the top 7 by the looks of it we will have to do it winning games by the odd goal 1 nil or 2 .

"1 - 0 to the Arsenal" wasn't arrived at by chance, or on a whim. Whilst it would be nice...great, even...to score 4 every game it's not necessary to win games, as long as defence does their job. The chestnut about having too few goals has been going around for a couple of seasons, but if defence had done their jobs better we would have taken more points than we did! I think there's more goals, potentially, in our midfield and, even from our defenders than we've had for while so may not even need another striker - I certainly wouldn't be horrified if we go with what we have now! 

Also - if DC is going to mix it up a bit, every game, we won't have a single system that "suits the Vale" - so why bother trying to find one? Just enjoy the flexibility it gives us and the fact that, if we don't know what we're going to do the opposition won't have a bloody clue!

I wouldn’t say there is a lack of goals, Wilson if fit will bag a few, we know Rodney can get 10-15 (maybe more if he improves further).

You’ve also got goals in midfield, Pett, Conlon are goal scoring midfielders, Wozza chips in with a few and of course the likes of Smith and Legge can add goals from set pieces.

A lot will depend on what we do with the forth striker though. If we push the boat out on it and get a good scorer then we should be ok, worry is relying on Wilson staying fit though.

Didn’t Cheltenham win the league with no real out and out scorer? Crewe went up without one so it isn’t imperative especially if you can get plenty from midfield.

11 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I wouldn’t say there is a lack of goals, Wilson if fit will bag a few, we know Rodney can get 10-15 (maybe more if he improves further).

You’ve also got goals in midfield, Pett, Conlon are goal scoring midfielders, Wozza chips in with a few and of course the likes of Smith and Legge can add goals from set pieces.

A lot will depend on what we do with the forth striker though. If we push the boat out on it and get a good scorer then we should be ok, worry is relying on Wilson staying fit though.

Didn’t Cheltenham win the league with no real out and out scorer? Crewe went up without one so it isn’t imperative especially if you can get plenty from midfield.

Exactly. We had two players in double figures last season. Cheltenham didn’t have one yet they won the league. 

16 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

Which can be done. England just got to a final just by being organised and solid.

Clearly we're not going to be a free scoring team but if you defend well then that doesn't matter.

Archived