onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Stafford Rangers and Newcastle Town friendlies

robf

Advert

14 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

This is a forum for people to offer opinions. I am not attention seeking or fishing. I just want to go and see the best Port Vale team play entertaining football and win as many games as possible. I am expressing my opinion that we haven't made the best decision with our current management appointment and he isn't making the best decisions for the good of the football club. Feel free to have your own opinions. As I have said, we will find out soon. Once the season starts in earnest we have to have a squad capable of gaining enough points to avoid relegation, will we have that? 

how can you even say this? we’re you spouting this when we had the unbeaten run towards the back end of the season or were you silent like all the negative fans we have on here? we’ve not started the season yet and you already doubt the manager who since come in done a very good job. the club has a plan and as a loyal fan i will get behind the manager and the team and watch us have a good season 

8 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I just remember him at Stevenage being a very good league 2 player. He was there best player by a country mile and I just think him along side Conlon will be about as good as it gets in this division. Scores a lot of goals from midfield and was in the championship winning Lincoln team, think he will be a real asset and exactly the kind of player we should be signing. 

It was an honest question 593 as I thought I had missed something like him being players player of the year for a few years or something like. I can't remember him being a standout player for Stevenage when they've played the Vale recently, perhaps he just had a regular game. I remember Guthrie running Nathan Smith ragged when they won at Vale but by the same token can't remember Guthrie from the earlier game at Stevenage. I wonder if anyone commented on Pett being a standout player on the Vale vs Stevenage match threads over the last few years, I'll admit I'm not gonna trawl through them.

I wouldn't say he scores a lot of goals/season from midfield but he does score which is a big plus, he does look a useful signing and let's hope he has a stellar season(s).

9 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Pett played nearly every game in Lincoln's title winning team a couple of years ago and was regarded as one of the better players at Stevenage where a certain Tom Conlon also came from. He looks a quality addition, it's irrelevant he hasn't played much at a higher level. 

Could be an excellent signing and a big upgrade on those who departed . 

Garrity in effect has signed from a Championship club , out of the two I expect Pett to be way better initially. 

Who regarded Tom Pett as one of the better players at Stevenage, the fact that Tom Conlon played at Stevenage is  irrelevant to how Pett will play for Vale.

In the context of my post to V593 if Pett had played in the EPL or Championship is very relevant as i could fully understand someone saying that player could be our best player this season a la Hoolihan at Cambridge last season, he looked different class when he played against the Vale.

Garrity didn't play for Blackpool in Lge 1 and he didn't spend much time there.

As I've replied to V593, Pett is a useful signing for Vale with a decent pedigree at this level, just how useful we'll soon find out.

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

593 is probably right. I have a mate who is a Lincoln season-ticket holder. This is a lad who saw him play 50 times for Cowley's team that absolutely walked the division a couple of years ago. This lad is usually spot on when it comes to judging signings for us. 

1582182689_Screenshot2021-07-11at09_41_04.png.34940d20d2ec4b8b871759588fbbaac4.png

He was at Stevenage as he got an injury at Lincoln and, whilst he was out, Cowley was replaced with Appleton who wanted to reshape the squad with more young players. Pett wanted regular football and Stevenage is basically where he grew up (Potters Bar) and spent four years of his career. After he signed for Stevenage they only lost 8 of the 30 games he played in, after losing 7 of their first 11 and only winning 1.

We've most likely signed a top League 2 midfielder. It's very basic and not at all contextualised to see Stevenage and make your assumption from that. 

If Pett is the "Best CM in Lge 2" why is he not in any of the "Teams of the season"?.

I do not see "Stevenage" I see Lge 2 and nothing higher to substantiate that he could be the best player for Vale next season.

He's a decent/useful signing, experienced at this level and has played in a team which achieved promotion so there's many things to like about his signing.

11 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

However, it is not about individual players, rather about the ability of the current manager to create a competitive team from them.

You did...but not every player! Some you have judged as soon as they signed...for whatever reason? ooops - wrong quote! It should have been the one about you not judging players until you've seen them play!

Archived