onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Stafford Rangers and Newcastle Town friendlies

robf

7 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am expressing my opinion that we haven't made the best decision with our current management appointment and he isn't making the best decisions for the good of the football club. Feel free to have your own opinions. 

Is it your opinion though or is it the opinion of this someone who knows him that you mentioned earlier? Because to be fair I can’t see how anyone can say he’s bad manager yet based on what he did in the few games he had last season, with a squad that wasn’t his own, with some key players missing and the unbeaten run he managed to get us on to end the season on a positive. Of course chairman live and die by their managerial appointments and equally managers live and die by their decisions too, only time will tell if the cull from last seasons squad will work. But it’s done now and the only thing fans can do is get behind the club. How long are you going to be talking a about what happened in the past with the decisions made in changing managers, there’s no point in it, everyone else is moving forward. To be seen as a prophet of impending doom is based on what exactly? It’s way too early to be jumping to conclusions yet about which way the season will go.

Personally speaking, everyone to man that I know within the club has been positive about the management, the training, the culture and the changes that have been brought in by all of the new regime. There’s a positive feeling within the club that belies your negativity. 

Advert

It is my opinion. I hope I am wrong but have seen too many false dawns and smart talkers to be convinced when I see the reality is that we don't have enough players at the moment to sustain a League 2 campaign. I know it is still 4 weeks to the season starting but I think it is cutting things a bit fine.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

It is my opinion. I hope I am wrong but have seen too many false dawns and smart talkers to be convinced when I see the reality is that we don't have enough players at the moment to sustain a League 2 campaign. I know it is still 4 weeks to the season starting but I think it is cutting things a bit fine.

"I hope I am wrong"

No you don't.

It's obvious you're desperate for us to fail so you can come on here gloating.

Like I've said before, you've set yourself up for a win-win scenario. We romp to the title and you're happy we got promoted - or we don't, and you can tell everyone "I told you so".

You are pathetic. Your negativity is making you look very very stupid.

Especially as you said a week ago that "you wouldn't judge players until you've seen them in a few league games".

8 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Just out of interest 593 what's your rationale for this prediction, time will tell whether Pett is a good player for Vale (I hope he is) but he's come from Stevenage not an EFL or Championship club.

It's not as though Pett has played the majority of his career in the EPL or the Championship a la Wes Hoolihan or even like Vale greats such as John Green and Ray Walker who joined Vale from 1st Division clubs, John Green had played over 100 games in the 1st Division for Blackpool, Ray Walker 23 for Aston Villa over 4 seasons.

I can't speak for 593 he'll have his own reply I'm sure. 

Pett played nearly every game in Lincoln's title winning team a couple of years ago and was regarded as one of the better players at Stevenage where a certain Tom Conlon also came from. He looks a quality addition, it's irrelevant he hasn't played much at a higher level. 

Could be an excellent signing and a big upgrade on those who departed . 

Garrity in effect has signed from a Championship club , out of the two I expect Pett to be way better initially. 

I thought Martin was our stand out performer yesterday with Conlon not far behind. I also thought Benning had a good game and was pleasantly surprised by how well Bailey held the ball up and finished his goal off. 
Of the youth team Osman and McFarland looked the best prospects. 

All in all a good work out and some promising signs. Nice to see a few faces who I’ve not seen in months but roll on the first home game to see a few more. 

9 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

I thought Martin was our stand out performer yesterday with Conlon not far behind. I also thought Benning had a good game and was pleasantly surprised by how well Bailey held the ball up and finished his goal off. 
Of the youth team Osman and McFarland looked the best prospects. 

All in all a good work out and some promising signs. Nice to see a few faces who I’ve not seen in months but roll on the first home game to see a few more. 

Martin didn't feature mate 

I think we saw our ‘starting midfield’ for the season yesterday. I would echo all the positive comments made about them already.

Somebody has commented that we didn’t play any ‘Pope’ balls (which I’m inferring means long balls from the back), which we didn’t BUT we did put plenty of balls in the box from crosses from Benning and Worrall.

A thought I had about this was: do we fill the left wing vacancy with Rodders? (Who is still a developing player and doesn’t seem to get on the end of many crosses. Not sure that it’s is his game, yet) And get two more strikers - one being another target man. We would still have the versatility of Rodders playing on the wing or as a forward, if we need someone running into the channels.

If we play 352, which I think we will ‘primarily’, then we may need another target man?

16 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

I think we saw our ‘starting midfield’ for the season yesterday. I would echo all the positive comments made about them already.

Somebody has commented that we didn’t play any ‘Pope’ balls (which I’m inferring means long balls from the back), which we didn’t BUT we did put plenty of balls in the box from crosses from Benning and Worrall.

A thought I had about this was: do we fill the left wing vacancy with Rodders? (Who is still a developing player and doesn’t seem to get on the end of many crosses. Not sure that it’s is his game, yet) And get two more strikers - one being another target man. We would still have the versatility of Rodders playing on the wing or as a forward, if we need someone running into the channels.

If we play 352, which I think we will ‘primarily’, then we may need another target man?

Rodders is our Sterling, maybe a bit taller

3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

So in your own mind you think we have a relegation threatened team? With the likes of Gibbons,Benning,Walker,Conlon,Pett,Wilson,Rodney,Smith,Worrall etc

I have to be honest though,as its coming from a man who idolised some of the worst owners we are ever likely to see(luckily) and the man who thought Askey was the next Pep Guardiola i think i will take it with a pinch of salt.

Don't think even once there has been a begrudging smidgen of praise for Clarke from RZ. 

I am baffled by the agenda and negative attitude towards both him and the squad. 

I am really enthusiastic about our prospects whilst realistic it may not happen this season. 

We have a balanced looking squad and good management structure in place plus belting owners yet it's constant negative vibes.

I'm so optimistic that we might even get a point away at Swindon !!

For goodness sake get behind them 

9 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Just out of interest 593 what's your rationale for this prediction, time will tell whether Pett is a good player for Vale (I hope he is) but he's come from Stevenage not an EFL or Championship club.

It's not as though Pett has played the majority of his career in the EPL or the Championship a la Wes Hoolihan or even like Vale greats such as John Green and Ray Walker who joined Vale from 1st Division clubs, John Green had played over 100 games in the 1st Division for Blackpool, Ray Walker 23 for Aston Villa over 4 seasons.

I just remember him at Stevenage being a very good league 2 player. He was there best player by a country mile and I just think him along side Conlon will be about as good as it gets in this division. Scores a lot of goals from midfield and was in the championship winning Lincoln team, think he will be a real asset and exactly the kind of player we should be signing. 

9 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

593 is probably right. I have a mate who is a Lincoln season-ticket holder. This is a lad who saw him play 50 times for Cowley's team that absolutely walked the division a couple of years ago. This lad is usually spot on when it comes to judging signings for us. 

1582182689_Screenshot2021-07-11at09_41_04.png.34940d20d2ec4b8b871759588fbbaac4.png

He was at Stevenage as he got an injury at Lincoln and, whilst he was out, Cowley was replaced with Appleton who wanted to reshape the squad with more young players. Pett wanted regular football and Stevenage is basically where he grew up (Potters Bar) and spent four years of his career. After he signed for Stevenage they only lost 8 of the 30 games he played in, after losing 7 of their first 11 and only winning 1.

We've most likely signed a top League 2 midfielder. It's very basic and not at all contextualised to see Stevenage and make your assumption from that. 

Archived