Tom Pope Analysis

Advert:

The time had come for Tom and Vale to part ways, I've got no doubt about that.
But comments like "found his level," you must be joking surely?
Tom's gone there because its local, he's around lads he knows and he can carry on despite that injury.  
I can't fault him one bit.
As I say, the time was right, but it's just outright disrespectful to have a sly pop at a genuine club legend to come out with comments like that.
The guy is our post war record goalscorer and, despite losing some of his presence on the field over the last couple of years of his career, gave his absolute all for the vale in every game.
Why stick the boot in?
Just don't get it.

Exactly
  • Like 1

I think the club has handled the PR side very badly here. DCs "deadwood" comment may not have been aimed at Tom Pope but it was unnecessary. It would have done no harm to say something along the lines of "due to his injury sustained during a Vale game we are unable to offer Tom another contract. We thank him for his contribution and wish him all the best for the future, whatever that may be."

• Like 1

I think some poster are maybe a little sensitive about Pope 'finding his level'.

I would suggest he has found the right level for him at this stage of his career due to his age and the way he looks after himself away from football, plus his legacy injuries. I don't see how that disrespectful at all.

Personally I wish him all the best an absolute legend and a brilliant career with 2 spells at the club. A lower league legend - never mind a Port Vale legend.

All the very best TP. I'm sure if the Bears feed the Pope he will score!

The king is dead. Long live the king.

1 minute ago, MBE said:

I think some poster are maybe a little sensitive about Pope 'finding his level'.

I would suggest he has found the right level for him at this stage of his career due to his age and the way he looks after himself away from football, plus his legacy injuries. I don't see how that disrespectful at all.

Personally I wish him all the best an absolute legend and a brilliant career with 2 spells at the club. A lower league legend - never mind a Port Vale legend.

All the very best TP. I'm sure if the Bears feed the Pope he will score!

The king is dead. Long live the king.

Great post.

I don’t believe people have ‘stuck the boot in’ on Tom, but are venting their views to posters who could see no other way forward than with Tom.

They are  now feeling vindicated following today’s announcement that their opinion that Tom is no longer a viable option as a League 2 striker have been confirmed.

let’s hope Congleton have a great FA Cup run and we get them at Vale Park in the First Round proper to give him a deserved send off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

3 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Good luck Popey lad.

True star and wish him all the best for his future.Just enjoy yourself and hope you play on for another 10 years if thats what you want.

Thanks for everything you have done for the Vale. Our team. 

I agree . Well said . Good Luck Popey  . For your future .  Thank you for all you have done for Port vale fc . 

Cannot wait to see him in action for Congleton Town (when Vale are out of town). He should score for fun against North West Counties defenders with a few semi-decent crosses into the box. Maybe he just decided his professional days are over with his age and injury, he's got enough money saved up and wants to play for fun locally. 

I think the club has handled the PR side very badly here. DCs "deadwood" comment may not have been aimed at Tom Pope but it was unnecessary. It would have done no harm to say something along the lines of "due to his injury sustained during a Vale game we are unable to offer Tom another contract. We thank him for his contribution and wish him all the best for the future, whatever that may be."
Go back and listen to that interview again he mentions Pope and his legendary status
  • Like 2

Advert:

3 minutes ago, dishydave said:
1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Go back and listen to that interview again he mentions Pope and his legendary status

Yep.  And saying letting him go because of his injury would have worked wonders for his chances of future employment!

He had his wonderful career topping moment at the Ethiad.
But for me seeing Tom playing on for the Vale trying to get an equaliser in a tin pot match with that injury after being done by a kid wanting a name for himself epitomised Pope's love for the club even more than his glory moment. What a man, what a legend.

I think I am right saying the kid that 'did him' will be playing at Vale Park soon.

• Like 1

Advert:

Pope is a true vale legend. Lost count of the amount of mentals he has been responsible for...man City, Cheltenham 3-2 at home and Rotherham one new year's eve come to mind straight away, not forgetting the roly poly goal against Wimbledon on the tele. Having said all that it was time for him to go and I think he could have played at a higher level than Congleton. But, I know tom likes to stay close to home and I doubt he needs the coin desperately so fair play to him and good luck. Thanks for the memories popey they won't be forgotten quickly. 

Edited by WV
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Fuller definitions of compelling include ‘not able to be refuted, inspiring conviction’, and ‘not able to be resisted, overwhelming’.

For whatever reason the ‘evidence’ has not been compelling enough for a deal to be secured elsewhere in the pro game, and has seen Tom signing at level  9 / Step 5 of the football pyramid.

For the record I wish him well, but this confirms DC’s assessment of the evidence Is in tune with that of others in the pro game.

You've given "Other" definitions of the word compelling not a "Fuller" definition.

As for the other stuff someone else has replied and pointed out the injury issue but you just don't seem to get it.

It was reported Scunny were monitoring Popey's contract situation in January 2021  before the extent of his shoulder injury was known. None of us know if DC knew or not about the extent of Popeys' shoulder injury when the decision was made to not offer him a contract although the fact Popey started against Mansfield perhaps suggests DC did know. I doubt others in the pro-game outside of Port Vale knew about the extent of the injury either.

Edited by Paul6754

An absolute legend and I'm sure he will score for fun at Congleton. Obviously wants to stay local instead of travelling and we can all respect that. 

Slightly surprised he hasn't gone somewhere like Stockport, he could still slot into most league two squads, if not the league below. Think he has prioritised playing with Gary Roberts and having Duffy as his boss! 

Best of luck to the guy, my found his level post had a fishing emoji for a reason!