Tom Pope Analysis

On the basis he’s not been ‘snapped up’ yet despite DC’s ‘error’ any indication of where he is training/on trial?
Maybe he's had them many offers he hasn't had time to look at them all yet. Joking aside I think the same can be said about all the players we released which to me justifies them being let go

On 06/07/2021 at 01:52, Paul6754 said:

My arguments viz Tom Pope are consistent not rehashed. 

The figures you quote are disingenuous to Popey as they don't reflect minutes played and therefore do not give a fair picture. For example in 2020/21 season Tom Pope only played the full 90 mins just 3 times and only played 797 minutes etc.

Looking at only League games since Tom Pope has been at the  Vale and looking at goals scored vs minutes played for the season gives a different picture to the one you paint.

Season   Goals Scored/Minutes Played     Ratio

20/21                         3/797                         0.0038

19/20                         6/1508                       0.0039

18/19                        11/3086                       0.0036

17/18                        17/3679                       0.0046

14/15                          8/2561                        0.0031

13/14                        12/3507                        0.0034

12/13                        31/4093                        0.0077

11/12                          5/2958                         0.0017

10/11                           3/944                          0.0032

Career Overall         121/32360                     0.0037

These figures show Tom Pope is remarkably consistent in the goals he's scored compared to the minutes he's played per season apart from one standout season. However as I and others over the years have said TP isn't just about goals, he leads the line, holds the ball up, brings others into play, adds physicality etc.

Interestingly these figures show Popey scored a goal approx every 3 -4 games played for Vale each season apart from 12/13 and 11/12.

My statement, "There is no clear evidence and no facts in this matter" refers to the oft posted statements, he's over the top, he's past it, he's in decline etc which are all subjective comments although most footballers at 36 are past their best. My comment that TP is still good enough to play at this level for Port Vale is also subjective although it's based on seeing every minute TP has played this season and seeing him put in some tremendous performances leading the line/holding up the ball.

The only other negative fact you could quote is age but age is irrelevant if you're good enough and many footballers are still good enough to play at 36.

Anyhow, welcome to Jamie Proctor and I truly hope he does well for Port Vale.

Some remarkable stats there, thank you for that objectivity.  Apart form his stand-out 2012/13 season as you say, remarkably consistent!  I wish him well wherever his next move takes him, Tom has been a tremendous servant and asset to PV over all those years as your figures above show us.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dishydave said:
On 06/07/2021 at 09:24, tisdeano said:

I doubt know where near enough it’s going to cost him if the injury he received playing for vale and played on with costs him his career

Apparently he can't get insurance because of his shoulder injury I don't know how true this is as I was told by a bloke in the pub. But it could be the reason why he hasn't been snapped up you would think he would be top of the list for most national league clubs

go compare, go compare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😉:drink:

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

Some remarkable stats there, thank you for that objectivity.  Apart form his stand-out 2012/13 season as you say, remarkably consistent!  I wish him well wherever his next move takes him, Tom has been a tremendous servant and asset to PV over all those years as your figures above show us.

Agreed, however would be interesting to see the figures excluding penalties (which only featured in his 2nd spell).  Also number of games scored in rather than just number of goals.  Felt like Tom either had the better of the (eg Southend away scoring a brace) or was totally dominated - this would show the decline that DC has also seen, alongside the other areas listed (lifestyle / impact on dressing room if he was no longer the main man) etc.

Either way I have no intention of working the stats out as he has gone and I am clear this was the right decision for the good of the club.

I think it was the right decision for the good of Darrell Clarke. He sees us as a project and everything he says is about him really. He doesn't expect to be with us long according to one of his interviews. I can see him either doing badly for us and leaving or jumping ship as soon as a better project comes along

I think it was the right decision for the good of Darrell Clarke. He sees us as a project and everything he says is about him really. He doesn't expect to be with us long according to one of his interviews. I can see him either doing badly for us and leaving or jumping ship as soon as a better project comes along

Can you give a link to the interview where he says that because he has never said that?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think he said that if the results didn't go for him he knew he would be out. 

That goes for all managers , honestly Clarke could get us promotion this season and you would still have a problem with it

I’d rather listen to Clarke in an interview than the tedious John Askey blimey he was boring
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think he said that if the results didn't go for him he knew he would be out. 

Not quite the same that is it? 

He sounded like he was almost expecting it. I wish I hadn't listened to his interviews again to try and find his actual quote, I still don't like his arrogance and the nasty way he talked about the "deadwood". 

He sounded like he was almost expecting it. I wish I hadn't listened to his interviews again to try and find his actual quote, I still don't like his arrogance and the nasty way he talked about the "deadwood". 

Remind where have all the deadwood gone? Exactly.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

It is one thing to dismiss staff but another to appear to enjoy it. 

You seem to be in a minority with that opinion  

It is one thing to dismiss staff but another to appear to enjoy it. 
I'll wager your HR department has a few choice names for you. Probably your own filing cabinet too

20 hours ago, philmpv said:

Oh the irony of that statement emoji23.png

Oh the irony of someone who revealed his inner true anti-Tom Pope agenda when he wouldn't accept a reasonable post that Vale could do a lot worse than re-sign Popey.🤣:redcard2: