onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope Analysis

LancyTony

Advert

He had his wonderful career topping moment at the Ethiad.
But for me seeing Tom playing on for the Vale trying to get an equaliser in a tin pot match with that injury after being done by a kid wanting a name for himself epitomised Pope's love for the club even more than his glory moment. What a man, what a legend.

I think I am right saying the kid that 'did him' will be playing at Vale Park soon.

Pope is a true vale legend. Lost count of the amount of mentals he has been responsible for...man City, Cheltenham 3-2 at home and Rotherham one new year's eve come to mind straight away, not forgetting the roly poly goal against Wimbledon on the tele. Having said all that it was time for him to go and I think he could have played at a higher level than Congleton. But, I know tom likes to stay close to home and I doubt he needs the coin desperately so fair play to him and good luck. Thanks for the memories popey they won't be forgotten quickly. 

4 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Fuller definitions of compelling include ‘not able to be refuted, inspiring conviction’, and ‘not able to be resisted, overwhelming’.

For whatever reason the ‘evidence’ has not been compelling enough for a deal to be secured elsewhere in the pro game, and has seen Tom signing at level  9 / Step 5 of the football pyramid.

For the record I wish him well, but this confirms DC’s assessment of the evidence Is in tune with that of others in the pro game.

You've given "Other" definitions of the word compelling not a "Fuller" definition.

As for the other stuff someone else has replied and pointed out the injury issue but you just don't seem to get it.

It was reported Scunny were monitoring Popey's contract situation in January 2021  before the extent of his shoulder injury was known. None of us know if DC knew or not about the extent of Popeys' shoulder injury when the decision was made to not offer him a contract although the fact Popey started against Mansfield perhaps suggests DC did know. I doubt others in the pro-game outside of Port Vale knew about the extent of the injury either.

An absolute legend and I'm sure he will score for fun at Congleton. Obviously wants to stay local instead of travelling and we can all respect that. 

Slightly surprised he hasn't gone somewhere like Stockport, he could still slot into most league two squads, if not the league below. Think he has prioritised playing with Gary Roberts and having Duffy as his boss! 

Best of luck to the guy, my found his level post had a fishing emoji for a reason! 

Popey is an absolute Vale legend. His ability, footballing brain and all those goals, and the fact that he's got black and white blood and a Valiant heart put him right up there with the very best that have played for The Vale! 

The goals, the celebrations, the promotion, the awards, the tweets... Tom Pope will never be forgotten. 

His terrible injury that night, the circumstances of how he played on, speak volumes about how much the club means to him.

A cushy little retirement job down the road at Congleton is a nice way to end his career, playing for RD and alongside GR. I'll be making the effort to go and see him play again when I get the chance. 

A testimonial from The Vale should be given so we can all thank him properly and give him a great send-off! 

UTV!

9 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Let’s just put it this way. If an out of contract Pope can only get a gig at Congleton Town, then what hope is there of offloading an in-contract Theo Robinson any time soon? 

Is he considered deadwood that we are still paying for? Isthat remark  going to improve his chances of getting another club? 

Archived